Delaware officially the 16th state with medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Stillfluffy10, May 13, 2011.

1. Hey fellow tokers

Finally the first state has passed s.b. 17 and signed it into law
    It goes into effect july 1st
    .S.b 17, the Delaware Medical Marijuana Act, which is largely based on the Marijuana Policy Project's model bill, will remove criminal sanctions and provide protection from arrest for the compassionate, doctor-recommended use of medical marijuana by Delaware patients with serious medical conditions. When the law goes into effect on July 1, it will immediately include a limited medical conditions. When the law goes into effect on July 1, it will immediately include a limited affirmative defense for seriously ill patients to assert in court until ID card applications are available. Patients will not be able to grow their own medicine, and will be allowed to possess up to six ounces of marijuana. The program will also include tightly regulated, limited distribution of six ounces of marijuana. The program will also include tightly regulated, limited distribution of medical marijuana by licensing three not-for-profit compassion centers, one in each of Delaware's counties. More centers can be licensed at a later date. medical marijuana by licensing three not-for-profit compassion centers, one in each of Delaware's medical marijuana by licensing three not-for-profit compassion centers, one in each of Delaware's counties. More centers can be licensed at a later date. Decriminalizing Patient Use: A patient will be granted protection from arrest only if his or her physician certifies, in writing, that the patient has a specified debilitating medical condition and that the patient would receive therapeutic benefit from medical marijuana. The Delaware that the patient would receive therapeutic benefit from medical marijuana. The Delaware Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) will finalize regulations and registry ID card applications by July 1, 2012. After that, a patient will send DHSS a completed application, including a copy of the written certification, and DHSS will issue an ID card after verifying the information. As long as the patient is in compliance with the law and in possession of an ID card, there will be no arrest. ong as the patient is in compliance with the law and in possession of an ID card, there will be no long as the patient is in compliance with the law and in possession of an ID card, there will be no arrest Qualifying Medical Conditions: The qualifying conditions are: cancer; HIV/AIDS; decompensated cirrhosis; amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS); agitation of Alzheimer's disease; PTSD; or a medica condition that produces wasting syndrome, severe debilitating pain that has not responded to other treatments for more than three months or for which other treatments produced serious side effects, severe nausea, seizures, or severe and persistent muscle spasms. Compassion Centers (Dispensaries): Delaware's law does not allow patients or caregivers to grow marijuana at home. Instead, it provides patients with access to their medicine at state-regulated not-for-profit compassion centers, which will also cultivate the medical marijuana. DHSS will issue not-for-profit compassion centers, which will also cultivate the medical marijuana. DHSS will issue a call for compassion center applications by July 1, 2012 and will use a competitive process that scores the applicants' plans for location, safety, security, and recordkeeping. DHSS should issue scores the applicants' plans for location, safety, security, and recordkeeping. DHSS should issue registration certificates to the highest scoring applicants in each of the three counties by January 1, 2013, and then issue three additional certificates to the highest scoring applicants by January 1, 2014. All compassion centers will be subject to inspection and all of their staff will have to undergo background checks. Compassion centers may not advertise medical marijuana sales in print or broadcast and may not share office space with physicians. The bill will also create an additional felony with a possible two-year prison term and $2,000 fine to punish anyone who sells medical marijuana to someone unauthorized to possess it. background checks. Compassion centers may not advertise medical marijuana sales in print or broadcast and may not share office space with physicians. The bill will also create an additiona felony with a possible two-year prison term and $2,000 fine to punish anyone who sells medica marijuana to someone unauthorized to possess it. Patient Age and Possession Limits: Patients, who must be at least 18 years of age, will be allowed to possess up to six ounces for their medical use. Caregivers, who may serve up to five patients can pick up medicine for very ill, homebound patients and possess it on their behalf. Compassion centers may only dispense three ounces to a patient every 14 days, and a patient may only register with one compassion center Patient Medical Necessity Affirmative Defense: Upon its effective date of July 1, 2011, Delawares Patient Medical Necessity Affirmative Defense: Upon its effective date of July 1, 2011, Delaware's bill will provide a medical necessity affirmative defense that can be raised in limited circumstances by patients who do not possess registry cards and possessed six ounces or less or marijuana. The by patients who do not possess registry cards and possessed six ounces or less or marijuana. The defense will be available only from the day of the law's enactment until 75 days after ID card applications become available, as well as during the time between a patient's submission of a valid application and receipt of the registry card

Any opinions?
    Any fellow delaware tokers?

2. So Delaware has fixed it so the patient can't grow their own. I saw this coming. Not necessarily for Delaware, but for all the states that are thinking about legalizing mmj hopefully in the near future. They've had time to make note of the mistakes that have been made in the mmj policies of other states. I always hoped that once Kentucky legalized mmj I would be able to grow my own medicine legally. That probably won't be my reality. On the other hand, by not allowing patients to grow, or hire care givers to grow for them, and making the patients buy from certain places, I foresee that putting a halt to all the confusion within the law and its already clouded boundaries. Seems it would make things pretty cut and dry. If you're a patient, get a rec from a doctor, and get your medicine from a collective that will grow just what you need. That's the only way the government will be able to closely track how much their state can financially gain by legalizing. And that's the only way we'll get what we want, by letting the government get that slice of the pie.

3. yea that part does stink
    def a step in the right direction but im with you i want nothing more than to grow my medicine for me and my father. i dont want to have to drive cross state to visit some whole in the wall with a minimal selection.if i grow the selection is huge why because i can grow what i want and what suits me as a patient.
    no i mean granted this is all probably going to be up for change but i dont see how the dispensaries will be able to keep up with the demand that will come soon enough

let us GROW!!!!!

4. I don't think the kind of collectives Delaware is talking about opening can be likened to a "hole in the wall". I foresee them being fairly nice sized properties, big enough to accommodate a decent clinic-like setting. I don't know this, I'm just speculating. Surely, the state has taken size and demand into consideration before passing the bill. One would hope, at least.

5. Big wall of text, mostly copied from(and more readable) here: SB 17 Summary

The reason you will see more Medical Marijuana states that do not allow you to grow your own is because they will be trying to regard marijuana as medicine.
    The reasoning goes that patients do not manufacture their own THIS or THAT medicine and that patients will not be able to adequately grow a consistent level of THC(and/or other cannabinoids). A patient may end up self-medicating with marijuana without appropriate levels of X or Y, and may be doing more harm to themselves(believing they are getting better when they are using an ineffective amount).

6. I think they have. There will be an initial 3 compassion centers, one per county. The law allows for the licensing of more.

Some facts about Delaware(from wikipedia):
    Area:2,490 sq mi
    Width: 30 mi
    Length: 96mi
    Population: 897,934
    Density: 442.6/sq mi

The Delaware seems to be divided into thirds height wise. If they're approximately all 32mix30mi counties, the furthest a patient could be is ~ 44 miles from a compassion center(or 22miles if located in the center).

For comparison let's use a California county to the state of Delaware:

From this 2005 source:
    http://www.counties.org/images/public/CA_Counties/Pop density by county.pdf

San Joaquin County has a pop. density of 456/sq mi(pop 686,000)
    Ventura County has a pop density of 435/sq mi (pop 823,000)

These are close to the population density of Delaware(while fairly close in population and area as well)

I quickly found San Joaquin County to have about 13 dispensaries
    Northern California Cannabis Club Directory

And for Ventura County, 2 dispensaries.
    Los Angeles Cannabis Clubs Directory: Medical Marijuana Dispensaries and Coops

I wouldn't call 13 and 2 to be the definitive numbers for those counties(only those wishing to be listed at that website), but there in the same ballpark even with some margin of error. (I'd call about 20+ dispensaries each to be in excess of Delaware)

7. I understand what they have taken into account.
    Trust me I do iv been following this since it started as another bill back in 09
    I forget the name
    I know members if or house and senate personally from my father.he is a more public figure.
    We have both say and discussed this bill with these members before it was passed during sessions etc etc.
    However I still feel that a person should able to self medicate themselves with this herb growing there own to there liking.
    IF you have been medicating yourself for as long as us you know that once you find your certain strain that actually truly helps you you know it. I know strains have specific effects. But I also know you can't suit there and tell me a strain is goin to effect me the exact same way it will effect you. I have a couple that are experiment strains but also the two that I know is my strain to calm my nervous disorder. A wide ranged collective like that I doubt will be able to provide a sufficient enough variety for patients to find there strain and supply sufficient amounts of them all at a consistent quality.
    Every strain grows eats flowers different keeping up with all this and a collective would be insane.

by the way sorry for your"wall of txt" but I can't copy a url to my email so thanks for that

8. You are putting words in my mouth. I never said strain.
    I spoke only in terms of percentages/levels of cannabinoids. This will be the way marijuana as a medicine will move forward.

You say you have a strain that works for your disorder, but grow "experiment strains". To the government, this is a problem. You are using a medicine that works for you, but then also using other medicine that has an unknown("experimental") amount of cannabinoids. This could be the equivalent of taking tylenol one day, and taking morphine the next.

There's also doesn't seem to be anything scientific/quantifiable in your growing of marijuana. Are you sending these plants out to be analyzed by a lab? Do you even know what you are smoking/vaping/ingesting?

The near future of medical marijuana is for it to be grown by the state or private companies for specific percentages of certain cannabinoids. This will enable patients to get desired relief without much guess work(though this may of course result in higher prices for patients). For the government, this provides the benefit of reducing black market trade of medical marijuana(if you're growing yourself, who's to say you're not giving/selling any excess, a licensed business will have a harder time doing this as they may lose their license).
    Then we could slowly progress towards companies being able to sell clones or seeds that have specific properties. More than likely they will attempt to make these plants sterile in some fashion(so you would have to buy more seeds/clones).

So the really the best bet for a medical marijuana patient to be able to grow at home, with some privacy, and not be price gauged, is for the legalization and regulation of marijuana.

9. I'm sorry I never ment to put words in your mouth.
    You're theorizing makes very much sense it does as for comparing the two strains to tylenol and morphine well that its a bit of a stretch but I get the over all point.
    As for knowing wats in in what I grow I know exactly what I put into it and if they allowed the growing at home of patients the same procedure of breeding and running nurseries so people can get exactly what they are looking for and grow it at home, can take place.
    Overall legalization and regulation
    I wish but that's a long way off

10. Hell yeah! I live in Delaware and I would be able to qualify for it! I'm so excited!!!

11. Nice to see someone in here that's a fellow delaware resident.
    Slower lower or up north if you don't mind me asking.

12. I used to live up north but now I live in camden

13. O yea I haven't been over that way in a while.
    I in'm the seaford laurel area.
    Its good to finally see someone else from around this area.

14. Ive been celebrating since yesterday..sucks that they wont let me grow my own damn meds though!!

Its probably the most strict MMJ program out there.

One thing to add, after the first year, they can add another dispensary to each county if needed. So after two years, max of 6 dispensary's in the state. Hopefully the people working there know what they are doing so there is quality medicine coming out

15. lol delaware residents, all 6 of us, flockin to this thread.

I'm happy we finally passed something that puts us on the right track towards legalization, but words will not describe how pissed I am that the government made sure they had a monopoly on it.

:mad::mad:

One step at a time though I guess

16. It's the only way you're gonna get it. It's the only way all of us will get it; if the government gets their part first.

17. Wrong lol.

all of us will get it when we stop believing that true authority lies within a piece of paper

18. #18 pearl75, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 16, 2011

lol If you think that's how we will achieve legalization. If that were truly the case, we'd have it now, and the ones perpetuating these archaic laws know this. We will never get legalization until it is resolved how the government will get the biggest slice of the pie. The only way to do that is to figure out how to legalize without leaving out/pissing off the top 4% of this country who control 96% of our country's wealth. Well, according to recent headlines, there is no way to do that. As it turns out, they are the ones supplying the cartels who supply our country with the drugs we want; all while it is 100% illegal. Now that the rest of the county is waking up from whatever fog we were under during the Bush administration years, we're figuring all this out, and they know we're finally figuring all this out. Now they're all scrambling to figure out how to pretend to give us what we want under the shadow of what they're getting out of it.

However it unfolds, I believe it will become legal in every state eventually. It has always been, and will continue to be a very slow process. We're all going to have to take it one step at a time. For now, I would give up my right to grow in order to gain my right to possess. Like I said, one step at a time.

19. #19 Stillfluffy10, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2011
    I have to say I must respectfully disagree pearl.
    Our founding fathers did not start this government with such corruption and greed as there is today.
    That being said it is also no ones fault but ours as the people for letting it get this way.
    The government has its hand in every aspect of or lives these days.this is not what was intended.
    You have to realize our country may seem great but is a baby in age compared to governments in europe etc.
    Or country has become a greedy mob and its all our fault.
    Change must happen but will it happen before our country falls apart? I doubt it.
    This is like pearl said just thee government covering up a giant f%?k up.
    O well
    Never give up growing
    Grow for freedom
    But il take advantage of goin to buy from a shop every once and a while.

20. I would like Civil Disobedience for $1000 Alex.