del sol

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by Necrostophelies, Nov 10, 2009.

1. anybody have an opinion on these? ive been looking to get another vehicle for a few months and ive seen a few honda civic del sols and ivethought about getting one.

how would this be for a dailer driver. hows the space in one and how fun are they.

also any other personal opinions on them would be cool.

2. I've never driven one but I hear they're pretty fun cars. If you're looking for a small two seater, why not look at the MR2 instead?

3. toyota? im not exactly made of money lol i can get a del sol for under $4000 modded already. plus im too old for a new car, i havent had car payments since i was 47 and that was 9 years ago.

4. Very good cars, fast, good handling. I love them with a passion. Well they suck cause my ass cant get in one to drive, super low to the ground.

If you hit a really big bug the car might fold into a million different pieces because its so small.

Sexy car though.

5. are you saying theyre unsafe? i cant have that, i would take a tank volvo than fold in half :(

6. i posted a video on here in the import vs domestic thread of a delsol smoking a lambo on the higway chekc it out

7. I'm talking about the mkII MR2. It was made from 91 to 95. You should be able to get a good one for 4k but it would probably have to be N/A. Also keep in mind that buying a cheap modded car is most likely going to cost more in the long run.

8. I had the bottom of the line del sol, the S, non vtec. The trunk is pretty large and how the roof fits in the back is pretty trick - pretty cool for a targa. It is a pain to get into and I dont think it handles that great. In hindsight I should have gotten the vtec version. If you are going to put money into it, maybe.

9. money over time is no problem honestly, ive got 2 retirement pensions and some money from the veterans association. i get enough money coming in over time but ive just got my $5000 to play with right now.

if i really wanted i could just go and get a brand new MR2 spyder and just pay it off in about a year or 2 but ive never liked the stock idea and with a new car i wouldnt have much to play around with without voiding a warranty.

basically what im saying is that on paper i could just get a stock run-of-the-mill del sol from some mexican down the street and just take it to the shop every 2 weeks and get a new mod put in. if i was 20 years younger i probably would but imnot and i dont feel like messing around with mechanics.

10. [​IMG]
    Get a MR-S instead. I have one and my neighbor has a del sol.
    I kill him everytime, in straights, corners, hills.

Del sol's are pretty cool, reliable, and upgradable with light steering and a removable hardtop which is awesome.

Either way you will be happy

11. Just be careful in them. They are very small cars and you really really do not want to get in an type of collision.

12. i got an '87 mr2 (currently rebuilding engine) and my bro has an '86 mr2 smallport (it's an '86 smallport but then something screwed up in the engine just like mine, rebuild.)

bros car
    [​IMG]

bros engine
    [​IMG]

my car
    [​IMG]

my engine
    [​IMG]

both them together
    [​IMG]

Yeah my winter beater is a '93 ford explorer xlt (exploder), then i sometimes drive a '91 buick skylark haha.

13. You're not gonna get any punch from a Del Sol, but if it doesn't matter, then yeah... it's a pretty car.

May I suggest Mazda MX-5, perhaps?

14. datsun 510! forget the del sol... find a 71 with a 300zx v6 and 5 spd! : ) forget the l18 4 banger!

if you can fit, the del sol is good for a daily driver in good conditions. if snow is in the picture, forget it.

15. I'd try to find a stock del sol rather than one that is modded.

Modded cars usually have a lower resale value than stock ones. If they up the price because it's modded, don't buy.

16. I personally hate Honda, primarily Civics and Del Sols, lol. But, to each their own.

I agree with the Z idea though. Just don't get a 240sx, I'm sick of seeing other people driving them around. Been driving 240's for years, and now high school kids are turning them into the next Civic/Integra.

17. I have a Del Sol VTEC. It's a nifty little car. Can practically make a 360 degree turn in a parking spot, handles relatively well, great gas mileage, mine has 208,000 miles on it and still runs like a champ. I love taking the top out on a nice warm night and cruising down by the beach with my girlfriend. That's awesome.

I don't know if it's because I'm coming from a Trans Am or not (300 ft-lbs to the rear wheels as opposed to about 80 in this thing), but this car is painfully slow. Once you get it into the higher RPM range it isn't too bad, but off the line it's brutally slow. Again, this is the fastest Del Sol as it has the most powerful engine, plus the steepest gearing out of the 3 models. It's not quick off the line unless you do a 5k RPM clutch dump or have some form of forced induction (supercharger/ turbo/ nitrous oxide). I'd agree with the others. If I had the choice again. I'd go for a Miata or an MR2.

18. MR2 FTW, get an mk1, you can get a decent mk1 mr2 for $1800 dollars, could even be s/c'd.

19. #20 housefullOweed, Jan 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    I have actually owned 2 dels sols in my car owning career here are some pics of my first car, it came with the wolf mural on the hood it wasn't exactly my style but still pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pics of it 7 weeks later, after i t-boned some one doing 60 mph i spun around 3 times in the intersection before coming to a stop facing the wrong way on a one way street, the cop was like "you were going that way right?".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyways now i have one much more my style that i am actually looking to sell for around 4k.
    [​IMG]

I have absolutely loved both of my delsols the car is a blast to drive and as far as reliability goes i have never turned the key and had the engine fail to start. The car has a decent amount of room for 2 people, i am 6.2 250 pounds and i have plenty of room. The car also has quite a few storage compartments located in the cab unless you lose the back ones for a custom sub box like i did, and the trunk is huge.

As far as speed goes the car is reasonably quick because of its power to weight ratio but it is still a 4 banger, however with a small amount of money you can easily turn a delsol into a power house. You can purchase a jdm 220 HP h22a engine and transmission with less than 30k miles on it for less than 2 grand, bore it out and throw a turbo or super charger on it swap it and be ready to go with some serious power.

http://www.google.com/products?q=jd...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCkQrQQwAg

My absolute only bitch about the car is getting a stereo system to sound good in it there is practically a firewall between the trunk and the cab and minimal air flow so subs sound like ass when located in the trunk. As i said though i had a custom sealed box made to fit 2 12s behind my seats, amazingly they did it unfortunately it does take up a bit of room so it some what cramps my style, sounds great though.

Any ways man GL with the car hunt if you do go with a delsol im sure you will enjoy it as much as i have.

[edit] It snows in my area and i was a pizza boy i did just fine.