Deja-vu

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Tokeup2day, Mar 27, 2012.

1. A good scientific explaination would be that subconciously you are prepaired for the event.

Through past experience, especial in our society with tv and games, and dreaming and logical assortment of these events into possible and probible outcomes, you can.literally see the future.

It is possible you are more blessed with forsight than most of us monkeys.

Everyonehas their talents

2. It's a really hard concept to explain, but I personally think A LOT of it has to do with dreams and your "third eye". We all dream, just some of us do not remember it, we aren't trained to. I don't think we control our dreams because as I said before, we haven't consciously "tried" to. So therefore we dream about random things that happen during the day or in the recent past. If you notice, the SMALLEST, most simplest idea/word/sighting can be the base of our dreams. For example, let's say I'm at a hockey game, I haven't been to one in a while, but after the game maybe I see a little kid playing an old mario game on a portable gaming system. I think nothing of it, but later I dream about something about mario or something to do with a gameboy/DS etc. Weird how the brain works, I don't think we'll ever fully understand it or at least not in my lifetime. However I think I got a little off topic. Now the dreams we DON'T remember, are where Deja Vu come from I think. We sort of "predict" a future event, and when it happens, it totally feels like you've experienced it before..and you have, but in your dreams. But you did not remember that specific moment until it was re-triggered. I'll leave this video here to help further explain sort of what I mean and give you some crazy insight into how insane dreams and the brain are.
    Enjoy!
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqVV2u_1ADA&feature=related]Spirit Science 9 - Astral Projection - YouTube[/ame]

3. Deja Vu as defined by V M Neppe, “any subjectively inappropriate impression of familiarity
    of a present experience with an undefined past”.

Daniel Dennet does a good simple talk on how Deja Vu. probably works. He is intentionally vague but it helps to conceptualize what is likely to be going on.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgC52sN_k4U]What is Deja Vu - Dan Dennett - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not sure that there is a clear scientific consensus on the cause of Deja Vu, however there are a few defensible theories based on empirical studies looking at neurocognitive correlates. Many of the brain structures associated with Deja Vu are found in the Medial Temporal lobe, like the Hippocampus and Rhinal Cortices. The Amygdala is also suggested to play a role.

Edward Wild, Déjà vu in neurology (2005)

"[...] a neural network in the association cortex and limbic areas encodes the holistic experience of an event. Perceptual information is encoded by the temporal neocortex and stored in the hippocampus, with emotional content added by amygdala. According to this theory, the dreamy state, and by extension déjà vu, is caused by inappropriate activation of deep memory structures by superficial sensory structures"

This is a link to a very recent overview of empirical research looking for possible causes of the Deja Vu experience. It takes a more cognitive approach, rather than looking explicitly at neurological correlates.

http://marshlab.psych.duke.edu/publications/Brown&Marsh2010_PLM.pdf

Very basically, what seems to be happening is a biological and-or cognitive malfunction that leads to a sensation of familiarity with a particular stimulus, like the experience of an object of location. The neurological structures associated with memory and familiarity misfire as a result of perceptual stimuli or perhaps pathology, for example Autosomal dominant lateral temporal epilepsy (ADLTE). Some studies even suggest a genetic component which is pretty interesting.

I realize this is a little vague but you should checkout the article I linked because it's free and there's lots of useful information. I hope this helps!

4. Um guys it really is just a non harmfull seizure that's common among healthy individuals don't bring spirituality in to this lol

5. [quote name='"Omniusanity"']Um guys it really is just a non harmfull seizure that's common among healthy individuals don't bring spirituality in to this lol[/quote]

Prove it

6. some one just like this deja vu so i can check out some friend invites i lost......i m having de ja vu.........thanks

7. #27 Omniusanity, Mar 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
    Psychic seizures:

>These seizures change how people think, feel, or experience things. They may have problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language. They may suddenly feel emotions like fear, depression, or happiness with no outside reason. Some may feel as though they are outside their body or may have feelings of déja vu ("I've been through this before") or jamais vu ("This is new to me"— even though the setting is really familiar).

Simple Partial Seizures | epilepsy.com

the brain is very strange and it can trick the owner in to ideas of grandeur type thinking very easily i mean look at how differently someone acts that has a tumor on certain parts of their brain the brain is so powerful its everything we are you are the brain the brain is you we are a bunch of walking talking brains its so weird i hate neurology it scares me.

8. Same here! I swear weed gives me fucking superpowers, but i don't know if it was just me. I predicted multiple events that would happen, next thing i know it, i was in it.

Like once, i was high as fuck and i thought about how people would survive forever. The only way would be time travel, go back in time with advanced technology and do that for eternity. Next fucking day, i see this;

[​IMG]

I freaked the fuck out. I also predicted some things that would be said in a conversation. When they were said like i predicted, I tripped the fuck out. I didn't tell anyone though, this is a secret power that few people should know.

9. I honestly think déjà vu is the real deal. At least for me, I get it with stuff that there is NO way I could have known beforehand. But I also think that telepathy and Hogwarts really exists. So I guess that doesn't make me very credible.

10. So, on to the next topic..... How can we increase these occurrences?

11. Well, there's the god helmet. I don't see why the same tool couldn't have an impact on those areas of the brain associated with Deja Vu.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y02UlkYjSi0]THE GOD HELMET (Koren Helmet) Michael Persinger - YouTube[/ame]

12. #32 seculardave, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
    "I get it with stuff that there is NO way I could have known beforehand."

Keep in mind that we are talking about a malfunction of the brain, the very thing that allows you to come to the conclusion that "there's no way I could have known". It seems far more reasonable that this conclusions is a result of misperception rather than something divinely profound or supernatural.

For every experience you have there is a biochemical reaction taking place in your brain. When you think that someone is watching you, there's an associated biochemical reaction. When you become afraid, there's a biochemical reaction. When you fall in love, have an idea, want a beer, or feel the need to cheer, there's a biochemical pathway mediating that experience. Don't you agree that sometimes things might go wrong in this intricate chemical system? If our perception of stimuli is based on brain function, and our brain happens to function abnormally occasionally, then it stands to reason that we will occasionally misperceive stimuli, doesn't it?

Why can't Deja Vu be just a biochemical malfunction?

13. What are the implications of this video? While exciting, it seems to be closer to scifi.. why is there only one test subject? I want to be tested also. I think I could find God if I had an hour of sensory deprivation... It's not so easy to achieve, where I'm at.

It could be. The point is we don't know.. we can only hypothesize. It's just like in the S&P forum.. but let's keep this rational, because it's science and nature. Nobody really knows.. yet :)

14. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_KmNZNT5xw]The Matrix - Deja vu - YouTube[/ame]

15. Yeah, the god helmet thing does seem a bit woo. I saw it on a documentary but I never bothered to see if there was actually research behind it. I managed to find a couple of publications but I'm having trouble finding a full version. The link below is supposed to be what it's based on. It could well be bullshit.

PsychiatryOnline | The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences | The Neuropsychiatry of Paranormal Experiences

The Neuropsychiatry of Paranormal Experiences
    Michael A. Persinger, Ph.D., C.Psych.

As for the notion that nobody really knows, I guess you could say the same for the notion that our existence is a computer simulation programmed by flying space monkeys that have celestial computer programming degrees; nobody really knows. However, this isn't exactly a defensible position, which I think is an important point to note. Some positions are more defensible than others, and in this case I would suggest that a mechanistic-naturalistic position, within the context of neuroscience, is far more defensible than a divine or supernatural position. We may not know with absolute certainty that Deja Vu is merely a biochemical malfunction, yet given the empirical support from neuroscience it's certainly a very reasonable position to take.

Have a peruse through this article. It's very interesting.

http://marshlab.psych.duke.edu/publications/Brown&Marsh2010_PLM.pdf

16. Read up on the pineal gland and marijuana's affects on it. You will be very interested :)