Deja-vu

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Tokeup2day, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Anyone hear know the scientific reason (if there is one) behind deja-vu? I posted hear instead of a google search because I thought it would be more interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions.

2. Past experienses you dont remember.. Maybe

3. It's weird, because once you think about your déjà-vu, you can't remember it well

4. The scientific reason has to do with delayed neural transmissions.

Let's say you are sending two cars from LA to NYC. Each car contains an identical document. The cars take slightly different routes, so one car gets there a little bit before the other one.

That's what happens in your brain, except replace LA with your 5 senses, NYC with your brain, and the Interstate highways with your neural pathways.

Your brain receives a second copy of the same thing it just processed moments ago. It's so quick that you know you've seen it before, you just can't place it. Deja Vu.

5. [quote name='"Fëanor"']The scientific reason has to do with delayed neural transmissions.

Let's say you are sending two cars from LA to NYC. Each car contains an identical document. The cars take slightly different routes, so one car gets there a little bit before the other one.

That's what happens in your brain, except replace LA with your 5 senses, NYC with your brain, and the Interstate highways with your neural pathways.

Your brain receives a second copy of the same thing it just processed moments ago. It's so quick that you know you've seen it before, you just can't place it. Deja Vu.[/quote]

Are you serious? That's insane

6. Isn't that just a theory though? Never heard of that.

7. why would your body send more than one copy of the same information to your brain anyway? and why would they take different paths?

8. The documents were signed by different officials (or senses), and they take different paths because they're coming from different places (or sensory receptors) :p

Just the continuation of my understanding of Feanor's analogy.

9. but if the signals are coming from different places then how could they be exactly the same?

10. I think we're awhile off from knowing for sure. We're just tapping into brain mapping and correlating that data with function. We are far from understanding the full potential and workings of the mind. Now that isn't to say we have don't a metric fuck-ton of data at our disposal, because we do, it's just that ALL of the data we can acquire is far from collected.

The LA to NYC idea by Fëanor is novel but the scientific community still isn't sure. There could be a myriad of potential reasons and until we have a full understanding of the brain, it's functions, and how it works we'll only be speculating...not that speculation isn't fine..hell, there would be no string theory without it.

11. Deja Vu (for lack of a better word) happens to me at least 10 times a session when I smoke, ...NO SHIT !!!, ....

and I'm not talkin about some minute occurrence that one can brush off as an actual coincidence ...I'm talkin some really weird experiences...

It started about 10 years ago and the occurrences were far and few between...but as of the last 3 years they have come more and more frequent....

some may say it is paranoia or a hallucinogenic ....But as of 3 years ago, I began documenting my session with a Dictaphone app on my phone. I have saved them in mp3 format and have over 3,000 hours of smoking sessions that contain these crazy occurences

12. de ja vu is a glitch in the matrix

13. dude that sounds crazy. care to elaborate? like what kind of crazy occurences?

14. #14 Dado, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    The knowledge of what it reads inside a fortune cookie, before I open it.

Sending a cartoon picture of "Mr. Peanut" to someone 1500 miles away (that has no relevance whatsoever to the picture) as they're standing on line in a store buying a bag of "Mr. Peanuts"

Knowing what song will come on cable music channel (though I havent heard it in years)

One last night was.....

During the day... I was thinking how I can reverse my intercom in the house so I can listen to another part of the building ( MIND YOU....I or anyone else has NEVER TOUCHED THE INTERCOM AT ALL)

AND for no explained reason, during my session, I hear my security's office voice comming over the intercom, while the phone receiver is firmly in it's cradle and the intercom is OFF (this is not bullshit, because I talke to my security office and they confirmed the conversation)

Things like this NEVER happen to me , unless I smoke

List goes on and on.

15. One time I got horny WHILE having sex...and I was like OMG Deja Vu!

16. I'm not sure if it's just a theory honestly, that's what I was taught in biology class way-back-when and I've just kinda kept with it for all these years. I would think it's a theory just like most other things involving the brain.

Well because your "body" contains a bunch of individual cells that all act individually. When a pencil touches your skin it comes into contact with far more than one cell, and each cell is going to transmit to the brain independently.

17. #17 Abundant, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    Why wouldn't it? (just an observation and not an attack on the question). Our bodies do quite a lot of redundant and useless stuff, especially at a cellular level. If our biology made sense in its form and function our issues with aging would have been solved shortly after we looked into our cells or sequenced the genome.

...I almost went on a tangent about mitochondrial mutation/damage and its relationship with aging, but then I remembered that even when I studied the subject it was dry material...bottom line our bodies have been patched together by a hodgepodge system of "it'll do" evolution, that allows for some pretty fucked up shit to... just occur after a certain time limit has passed (what our natural life span would have been if we didn't tackle issues like diseases, predators, and sanitation.)

EDIT: Apologies for the over use and improper use of "..." I like to pause while I type and it just translates to "..."

18. Deja vu is actually a little seizure that everyone experiences it's not really dangerous but it is a type of mini seizure

19. [quote name='"Omniusanity"']Deja vu is actually a little seizure that everyone experiences it's not really dangerous but it is a type of mini seizure[/quote]

Some guy in Fort Worth told me that.

20. I get daja vu sometimes... its weird. Ill know exactly what is going to happen for the next 30 seconds or however long it is. Ill know what I'm going to say, what other people will say, what's on tv, everything. And sometimes it feels like its happened more than once. Its weird.