Deep Water Culture Bucket Questions

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheBay, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Hey GC, since I'm legal through prop 215 I'm planning on growing 4 plants in a secret jardin dr120 grow tent in a shed under a 600 watt hps. I will be running a deep water culture system. So I don't know if I should construct my own or buy a made one a tweak it a little bit.

This seems the best kit:HTG Supply - Bubble Boy Single Shot | Deep Water Culture | Hydroponic System

Although instead of that pump im planning on hooking it up to this : HTG Supply - Dual Diaphragm Air Pump

Do you think that will be strong pump to create nice bubbles?

I could create my own but i would save like 8-10 bucks per bucket and I rather just spend the extra. Unless, I can make one that is like twice as better than I guess I can try.

Also, I see a lot of dwc systems with this tube and drain and Im not sure if the link with the kit has that one. Maybe I can add it? I don't even know if its that important or what it does I just see it alot.

Thanks! Any Input is Appreciated!

2. You can buy a bucket lid with the net pot built in..also that tube coming out the side is just to check the water level..you could hook the buckets up to a controller bucket then mark the inside of the bucket for the water level and gravity will do the rest..also makes it easier adding and draining nutes since you never have to touch the ones with plants in them

3. Thanks for the reply.

Does the dwc bucket kit have that tube coming on the side? or can i build it easily? Also, how is the bucket looking with the air pump i posted.

Thanks GC!

4. still need input!

5. #6 GrapeDutchh, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2012
    If you build a bucket u should use gatorade(type) coolers. easier to control water temp.. An the temp stays good for a few days

Dutchie

6. You can build a decent rdwc system for $100 to $150. I built a six bucket site for about that much. There are instructions in the DIY section.

7. My next move is RDWC or Drip System.. That way I can keep the resi somewhere it dont get too hot. I read that DIY but jus not sure how it actually works.. Is it the pressure already in the lines that keep the water heights the same?

Dutchie

8. #9 Doc-J, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    [quote name='"GrapeDutchh"']

My next move is RDWC or Drip System.. That way I can keep the resi somewhere it dont get too hot. I read that DIY but jus not sure how it actually works.. Is it the pressure already in the lines that keep the water heights the same?

Dutchie[/quote]

Pressure has nothing to do with equalizing water height, gravity handles that. Given proper flow, connected volumes of fluid will always balance themselves. If your Res is level with your buckets, then the water height in the Res will be the same as it is in the buckets with rdwc. You can raise or lower your bucket water level by raising or lower the level in your Res. This changes however if everything isn't level.

9. Man I wish I could +rep u fro that! Exactly the info I needed! Gravity huh.. Legit.

Thanks bro

Dutchie

10. [quote name='"GrapeDutchh"']

Man I wish I could +rep u fro that! Exactly the info I needed! Gravity huh.. Legit.

Thanks bro

Dutchie[/quote]

That is the best way in my opinion. You can utilize valves and flow and drain size to control hieght if you need things unlevel for whatever reason, but it is more complicated and adding mechanical pieces or relying on timers to prevent flooding always adds chance of clogging or failure. I like to keep it simple, and physics doesn't change.

11. You sure ur not what I like to call a "Common Genius?"
    Where your practical yet intricate... LOL

Seriously tho thanks fro the help/info. Checking out ur grow right meow.

Dutchie

12. [quote name='"GrapeDutchh"']

You sure ur not what I like to call a "Common Genius?"
    Where your practical yet intricate... LOL

Seriously tho thanks fro the help/info. Checking out ur grow right meow.

Dutchie[/quote]

No problem man. My LSD grow has a few pics of the rdwc but not too much detail. When I finish this grow I will pull everything out and do a more informative post.

As far as genius, I will have to decline to answer. I have always been good at observation and figuring things out. I look at any mechanical, electrical, or other systems and if I haven't seen it before, I want to know what makes it tick. Having just a base knowledge of science and physics will provide a lot of understanding when it comes to projects like these. Try to look at anything like this as what can I learn, and where can it be applied elsewhere. Genius is just a measure of IQ, knowledge has to be earned.

I also have the expierience of working with aquatic systems for quite a few years. We built and ran four 1000g aquarium systems utilizing 300g remote sumps and filters. I have also grew lps and sps corals for quite a while using a 150g tank and 75g live sump/ refuge. Not the same as growing hydro but you would be surprised how much of that basic science is the same.