Decriminalize, Legalize, or neither??

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by kieranlee15, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Ok, so im sure there's another thread for this, but i just want to get a broad base of oppinions on this point. When i lived in LA (during high school) everyone was pro marijuana legalization all the way. When i moved north, its the complete opposite and they are anti mj legalization. Iv heard arguments supporting mj legalization and control saying that it would help solve the budget crisis significantly and spread some other money away from money used to battle mj. And the main argument against legalization that iv heard is that the government would be overly controling of mj and it would ruin the trade and culture as we know it. So what are your oppinions GC?? legalize it? Decriminalize it? On a state or federal level?? My personal oppinion is that it shoild be decriminalized on a federal level and allow it to mend the economy without governmental intervention. 

2. I want full legalization and I have my med card. I just don't think anybody should even get a ticket for weed. I really don't think the quality will go down or the govt will fuck it up somehow. sure some companies are gonna start producing mech and selling that in bulk, but I'm sure there will be places everywhere with headies.

3. #3 kieranlee15, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah i agree with you on that one! My thing is, whether they tax it or mass produce it or whatever, it wont rlly matter to me! I can always do a grow!

4. decrim is a bandaid imo

5. Decriminalize doesn't mean you fully legalize it and the way things are looking the government won't consider either for a while but if they did I'm sure there is no doubt they'd want some of the share. I don't know if you can make a law that says they can't interfere with our "sacred plant" but I know it's not worth trying.

Either fully legalize or you're still playing the "I can tell you what you can and can't put in your body" game..

6. Just fully legalize it already FFS. There is no reason at all why alcohol/cigs should be legal while mj isn't. No rational reason at all. In the end it's just old fashioned fear mongering and money keeping it illegal.

7. Decriminalization is bullshit.
    Cannabis should be rescheduled at the federal level and regulated in a manner similar to alcohol in places that decide it just has to be strictly regulated.
    There should be no penalties for growth, processing, or use of cannabis for adults.
    Those who sell cannabis and cannabis accessories should just have to do the normal things that any business does: get business license, pay taxes.

8. It's decriminalized in my state already but im all for legalization (with restrictions like the sale of alcohol)

9. boy it pisses me off when people complain that legalization will get rid of the 'culture'. peoples' lives are being ruined daily, down in mexico people are dying daily, but no, let's keep it the same so this "distinct" culture is preserved. :mad: i don't get how legalization would even ruin the culture. it's not that hard to spot poser-stoners anyways:rolleyes:

10. full legalization of all drugs now. reform the education system now.

its that easy.

until then, enjoy fascism and wage slaves that have interests in money. whatever money says, goes.

11. We need major drug reform in this country, and I think it has to begin with decriminalization across the spectrum (all drugs) and outright legalization for marijuana.

The way I look at it the moral argument for cannabis prohibition is outdated and baseless. I find it insulting to even debate somebody who is still clinging to reefer madness talking points.

It's all about money right now. Unfortunately, there are still too many wealthy, powerful organizations out there with vested interests in drug policy remaining unchanged.

12. ^++

I won't settle for anything less than legalization. By legalization I mean I want us to be able to grow these plants ourselves without repercussion.

I could not care less what the government does with it as long as I can legally grow my own.

The people saying it will ruin their culture.. that the government will take over.. etc. what they're really saying is that it will cut into their profits.
    If people could grow their own the big growers wouldn't be able to charge the ridiculous amount they currently do for this plant.

13. I worry that if it is legal to use mj it will open a whole new revenue stream for law enforcement. Most likely whenever you get pulled over, if you look a little freaky, you will be getting the latest DUIMj test. Just as alcohol has turned into a revenue maker, you don't have to be drunk, just blow a .08 and your ass is jail bound. Then they, lawyers, bondsmen, court, and insurance co., all get a big money bite out of you. This isn't happening now with cannabis, but it will.....

14. There were only like, what, 850,000+ arrests for marijuana-related offenses in the u.s.last year, right?
    Maybe we should just leave things just like they are...:rolleyes:

15. Decrim is a pathetic joke. Sure its better than the criminalization we have now but it doesn't make any sense. Something is safe enough to own with few consequences but no business is legally allowed to manufacture it?

16. We should not legalize all drugs. Just cannabis.

I don't want drugs like crack, meth, and PCP legalized.

Those are dangerous drugs and should all be illegal.

Do you really want to have addictions to drugs like crack
    and meth skyrocket if they were to be legalized?

That would cause more crime such as theft and robbery
    to occur.

17. There is no evidence that use of those drugs would skyrocket.
    The idea that they should be illegal for our safety is just bullshit.

Take all the drugs off the black market and actually educate people with truthful information instead of scare-tactic propaganda. Now that would be a good start at dealing with the fact that people want drugs, and can find, grow, or make them whether you approve of their choice or not.

I have no right to choose another person's poison, nor to impose prohibitions or limitations on what they may choose to use to alter their body/mind state.
    It's none of my business, or yours, it's a personal choice.

The best thing that can be done is to make education actually possible, and make the product available legally, and therefore much more reasonably priced to boot.

All drug prohibitions are destructive of our society as a whole and of our freedoms.

18. How bout we just give everyone twenty dollars and tell them they only have this 20 dollars to spend on weed. Any other money spent on weed is a crime. That way everybody gets the same ammount of weed. The weed will be gooish in quality. Red dots will fly around the nug jar. Shapes of trees fill my mind. Smiley face. Mr. Ick... $$$ cash money balln' wit' me twenty $$$

19. The purpose of laws is to ensure that people cannot generally
    do things that would harm themselves and others.

Using crack harms a person, so therefore laws need to be in place
    that prevent people from harming themselves.

We cannot have a country with complete freedoms. That is why
    we have laws that a person must use a seat belt, or why there
    are laws regarding safety standards for automobiles.

If we had complete freedoms, people who didn't know any better
    would do things that may harm themselves.

That is why school is mandatory for children in the U.S.

Because it is useful to learn and become a productive member
    of society.

We can't have people doing whatever they want, because it
    may not always benefit society.

20. Ummmm... Wrong. Most Laws are in place to protect property.
    I mean if you really want to talk about harming yourself, than why are things like elective surgeries legal? I mean harm has nothing to do with anything. The only laws that anyone takes serious about harm are when it is commited unwillingly on someone else.
    Lol. I'm not even going to start with that.
    LOL. OK I hope that is a joke.

So we can keep killing pandas and such.
    Societ may not benefit the planet... But then again the planet may not benefit the solar system... But our solar system may be corrupt and deserving of such treatment anyway.