Decent Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dread7Green, Nov 8, 2007.

1. X-mas Is approaching,I'd like a decent digital camera. Aim me towards some nice ones

Price: 200.00 and below (if it's like 230 or something go ahead )
    features: Good picture, Macro, And zoom

Thanks guys
    -Dave

2. Also,

Check out the Olympus Stylus 720SW. It's water-proof down to 15', shock-proof (I've dropped it from about 20' and it works great), and takes better video than my Sony Camcorder. Not sure on the price though.

3. Seriously only 2 people have ideas on a good camera? wtf people... get posting
    :devious:
    -Dave

4. Nikon man, absolutely NIKON. Do some research, reviews, whatever, but up most go in a camera store and play with them. Canon or Nikon is the way to go.. both are exceptional- it's pretty much just user preference. I like the way Nikons are laid out more, it makes more sense to me. They also feel more comfortable in my hand. Plus I like the all black look and they looked more manly lol. Sounds silly but the look, feel, and the way it is laid out are actually quite important. Quality is there in Nikon and Canon so just find out which one you prefer. But do the research to make sure you get the best model for your needs.

Hope this helped, and I have done tons of research, been on camera forums, and talked hours upon hours with professionals at high end photography shops or else where. Of course I'm talking about expensive DSLR's, so i'm sure there are other brands out there for your price range that would be fine... but the quality, performance and value can be guaranteed from Nikon and Canon.

5. Dslr is a single lens relfex correct? which means that the lense is removable? From what i've read these give off a less "noiser" shot. You should know what this means i guess, since you sound like you know cameras.

I like the looks, features, and most of all the superior image you get from dslr compared to point and shoot cameras. So with that said, could you recomend me a nice dslr nikon in the low price range :D

I'm asking you because i know very little about cameras, and i don't have time to get on another forum and start learning a hobby quite yet :) but you have already done that, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Dave

6. Nice, the route I went with was the Nikon D50. It's a very well known camera for being great with n00bies but is a camera that can truly last and you can grow with.. aka it's a camera you can also produce stunning images with for pro's. Sorry I don't know if i'm wording this right haha, what I mean is that it's excellent to learn on but it's also a great camera for people that arn't beginners. Yes the lens comes off and you can get a wide range of lenses, filters, macro/micro setups.. the works.

I got my camera with the lens as a kit from a local camera shop called Robert's Imaging. I also was able to get a refurbished one for a cheaper price. The refurbished cameras come with a great warranty and are actually more reliable/ perfect compared to buying a camera brand new. This was explained to me by a Nikon representative and when the cameras are refurbished they inspect and clean EVERY part on the camera and replace anything in questionable condition or relating to the malfunction/ damage/ whatever.

Anyways, I am a college kid with little money and helped pay for this along with receiving it as a christmas gift.. so I am definitely one to research things intensely before I make such a huge purchase. I asked my friends who are into photography and went and played with the D50 along with the canon competitor version of it, read countless reviews and basically I couldn't go wrong with either option. Again, the d50 felt much manlier, formed to my hands much better- my fingers felt very cramped on the Canon. Plus the Canon was silver and if i'm gonna get a profesh camera there's something about it being all black that makes it feel right. Also the way it's laid out (the buttons and menus) made a lot more sense to me and easier to navigate.

I believe my camera with the lens kit was 600 bucks? Something in that era.. but it's very good for a quality lense (18-55mm) and such a great camera that will last you a lifetime. Even if you get a more intense camera later in your life.. the d50 is just a great all around camera and the 3k dollar cameras take like half an hour of just setting it up for a picture because of all the options (not really but you get the drift). Plus the d50 is pretty mobile. I also like the history of Nikon and all their old cameras are so sweet.

But yah hoped that helped.. and just a sample of the quality.. these pics were taken with a d50. If you like these you should see some of the other professional pictures i've seen with the d50 of nature and abstract stuff.. EXTREMELY IMPRESSIVE. Try pbase.com and you can search for pics my camera.. but keep in mind a lot of these are amateurs. (Oh yah, if you get DSLR you'll realize taking the picture is only half the fun... editing is another world).

http://forum.grasscity.com/recreati...eed-so-good-make-you-wanna-smack-yo-mama.html

BTW, I think the new d40 might have replaced the d50 but I can get back with you on that one or you can research it yourself. I'm not sure what the current equivalent is. But I know the camera market is pretty stout. I know you can find a good d50 with lens in perfect condition for a fair price. Plus people that buy Nikon D50's arn't usually the type of people trying to rip others off. Photographers are usually respectable people and have too much passion for the hobby to rip someone off. Kinda hard to explain how it is, but that's how it is haha. You can still find extremely old Nikon film cameras in top condition. People take care of these kinds of cameras.

[​IMG]

7. Thanks for the write up, i'm going to be looking into the d50 for sure, and i'll let you know what i choose :D
    Oh and those pictures are amazing! I love nature, and bud so quality is a must in both of these to capture their true beauty ya no?

-Dave

8. Sure thing man, and no pressure obviously haha. Nikon is what worked for me, tons of people are die hard Canon. Some people like Kodak too because they derived or worked with Nikon.. something along those lines. But yah happy findings, looking for a new camera is fun :hello:.

9. i got a nikon P4 off of ebay for under 100$ (thats an insane deal, and you gotta do some work to get it that cheap, i bid on several auction before winning that one for that cheap) has an awsome little macro though, highly recommend it... plus its totally pockatable, great battery life, and look good