Death sentence? For or against?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bajhshot, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I, personally think that killing someone is wrong because I learn towards a deatonist view of morality. However, I know their are plenty of people whom will disagree, probably even some whom I usually agree with. But also, there is some grey area on this issue for me as well, I am still on the fence about it a little (a little).

Hypothetical scenario: Person A is murdered by person B. Person B gets executed. Thereby we lost two people's worth of 'productivity' in society.

Would it better to execute these people for murder? Would it be better to have person B work in prison for the rest of his life to make up for that productivity that was lost? I lean more towards making a murderer slave for the rest of their lives because murder is some bad shit (dur).

Personally, I think it would have been much better to have had Osama Bin Laden working in some salt mines with the other dregs of our society(murders, rapists etc), working his fingers to the bones. I know he could never match the productivity of 5k people he had killed, but then again, I think he got off way to easy when it comes down to it.

Hell I would buy some Osama-salt. LOL! The can could have had a picture of him dressed in rags with a pickaxe on it.

2. Put them all on an island to run free, survive, and kill each other.

You could even hide cameras in the trees and make a reality TV series out of it.

3. I am personally against the death penalty. Killing is ok in self-defense though. As a punishment, I find it meaningless and un-productive, but I can't say that I would really care that much if, say, (proven) mass murderers/rapists were given a fair trial and after being proven guilty, the victims' families decided to have them killed.

I think, in terms of practicality, putting them (murderers/rapists) to work is the best option. If they refuse to work, I have no issue with allowing them to suffer (they could receive less food rations in exchange for not doing anything productive to society). They can't be a menace to society and expect everyone else to give them a comfortable lifestyle. I'm betting a lot of places would be largely in favor of the death penalty, primarily for economic reasons (they don't want to support murderers & rapists on the backs of everyone else), especially in poorer areas of the world.

4. #4 Papagallo, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    I am a proponent for the DP. Although I don't agree with your position I appreciate your point of view. You bring alot of valid points that would be worth debating.

5. Hammurabi had a pretty good system. Let's face it, punishment is supposed to be a deterrent for crime, but it seems our systems for punishing criminals doesn't prevent them from committing them. I'm all for the death penalty, and it should cover a lot more than murder or rape. I also believe in public executions, but not public trials. People only have a right to witness the verdict, not influence it.

6. /i am in favor of capitol punishment but only in the most severe and brutal instances. It is not for me to deide though men far more compasionate ane the and informed would need to be the ones to pass these judgements

7. completely against it in every situation..killing someone accomplishes nothing and any way you look at it it is still murder

get the people out of jail who dont belong and put them in for life....taking another persons life (unless in self defense) is the worst thing someone can do to another person

8. If you kill someone, you deserve to be killed, if you rape someone, you deserve to be raped. End of story.

9. #9 [0[eagjo, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
    State sanctioned murder is still murder. IMHO.

Edit* Tooth for a tooth crowd, please reevaluate your views. America is one of the last 1st world countries to still perform executions.

[​IMG]

10. The state: Do as we say, not as we do.

11. I'm for it. However, the court process behind it is so flawed. It's very painful for the victim's family to keep hearing the person is getting more appeal hearings and stays. If it were handled with more efficiency, I think you'd see more crime prevention.. having people on death row 10-30 years is just ridiculous. I think more inmates die from natural causes on death row than executed inmates.

12. #12 m00zix, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011
    Welcome to Australia.

I am against the death penalty. It is immoral and hypocritical. Isn't depriving a man of his freedom for the rest of his life enough?

EDIT: 4,500 post. Pretty damn satisfied with it.

13. You just described The Condemned with Steve Austin, haha. Good movie.

14. But isn't the state a reflection of what the people allow it to do?

15. lol. Fuck the brother's keeper argument. If we execute them we can save money on the food we'd have to feed them. Why don't we just use inmates for slave labor? :eek:

16. This is exactly my point. I am sure their are some easily prooven murderers, but I know of a few off hand that have been executed only to have the case reopened and their innocence declared. Death cannot be rescinded and is very very VURY permanent.

I think making the labor for the rest of their lives opens up the option for their innocence to be proclaimed (if they are innocent mind you).

17. If we're blowing tax dollars on keeping them alive, why not have them pave our roads and build our schools, right? ;):p

18. What if the prisoner requested it?

Outside of this scenario, it's hard to say definitively.

If we changed our drug laws this wouldn't be near the issue it is today, and it would be more feasible to work with the genuine crazies.

19. If Jack Kevorkian wasn't allowed to mercy kill, neither can the state.