Deal Alert - Odor Eliminator

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by MrSmoke, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hey blades, just thought I'd share the following deal.

Description
    Popular Hamilton Beach® TrueAir® Air Care Products can help you clean allergens, irritants and odors out of the air you breathe. Perfectly sized for home or office, use wherever and whenever you need to clear the air. Hamilton Beach® TrueAir® makes it easy to choose the right size and type of air care products to fit your family's needs.

Features
    Continuous odor care for rooms up to 10' x 10'
    3 carbon filters trap & neutralize odors
    2-speed switch
    Uses less energy than a 15-watt light bulb

[​IMG]

NEW Hamilton Beach TrueAir® Room Odor Eliminator 04532 - eBay (item 380292630426 end time Dec-01-10 08:00:31 PST)

$15, free shipping

2. seems to good to be true lol thanks for the heads up

3. I dont know how much they usually cost but that does seem like a good deal. Anyone ever use one of these things and how well do they work?

4. I'm certain this wont be as effective as a carbon scrubber, but for a small grow (a couple plants) its hard to beat at $15 w/ free shipping.

At that price, you could buy a couple of them.

Also, the replacement cartridges are about 15 for a 3 pack, but I bet you can replace the carbon in them if you wanted to.

5. i just bought one.....where do i put it to make it most useful?.....inside my tent?.....inside room where tent is?....in living room?

just one plant........DR60 tent

6. I think I might just buy one for my apartment lol. Methinks the air quality could be better..

7. I was wondering the same thing.

8. Sorry guys, this won't put a dent in the odor of a stinky grow...

It's tiny and uses only 15 watts -- doesn't that tell you something? It can't possibly move enough air fast enough to clean it of the odor of a MJ grow. These are made for like office cubicles, don't believe the 10'x10'. And besides, no filter can clean the odor effectively unless the grow space ventilation is run through the filter, this thing would just be sitting in the grow room, spitting out the "clean" air to immediately mix back with the stinky air, all of which will then be sucked out the exhaust to be smelled.

For within a Big Mac and fries of the same money you can build yourself a real odor-control filter to put into your ventilation system.

9. I disagree. For one plant in a small grow tent this would absolutely be better than nothing.

Re: putting clean air back into stinky air, I'm afraid that's just not how air filteration works. Its the same principle as water filteration and if you're concept were accurate a pool filter wouldn't clean your pool - no?

As for building a carbon filter, what if you don't have a ventilation system? Unless you have spare material laying around the house (possibly carbon), I don't care if your McGuyver - you're not building a scrubber for less than $15.

I have a Delonghi air filter that oscillates. Same concept, and it absolutely removes stinky air from the room where my grow cab is located.

10. McGuyver...LOL
    McGuyver could build one for free I'm sure of it. I wonder what his grow would look like?

11. No is exactly right. A swimming pool circulation and filtration is a closed system, you are filtering the water and returning it to the "dirty" water, but then all of that water -- dirty, clean, mixed, whatever -- ends up passing through the filter. But in a grow space the filter adds the clean air back to the "dirty" air that is then being swept out of the grow space to another environment while fresh air is constantly being brought in to replace it. The analogy would be a swimming pool that is circulating the water through a filter and also that the pool is being drained while also being re-filled all happening at the same time. The water being drained out of the pool will never be clean that way.

Unless you don't have ventilation at all, in which case I can't really comment because that's a bare minimum requirement for a grow space IMO.

Again, you need a ventilation system so I don't know how to address a situation where there isn't one. As for building a carbon filter for $15, it absolutely can be done, tutorials are here on GC. Some chicken wire, panty hose and carbon is about all you need.

12. Plus a fan which is where most of the cost is incured. I believe I priced building one at about 50 bucks, with all materials. Still not bad though.

13. ...But again, you should already have a fan for ventilation.

14. I personally have several fans but a regular fan does not work with a carbon scrubber does it? One would need a inline fan correct? I dont have a inline fan for my simple grow just some regular fans for circulation. I like the smell myself so I have no exhaust.

15. A "regular" fan could work if it were rigged to channel all the air in the same way that an inline does. Again, the key is making all the stinky air pass through the filter on they way to the exit. There are several threads in the DIY section about retro-fitting a "regular" fan to do this.

16. Hmm good to know. I never ran across on of those while there. If I ever need exhaust I will get an inline fan. I am a sheet metal worker so duct work is all I've dont for 16 years. Makes that easy except I like the smell and have no reason to have to get rid of it. I probably will do something for my next grow as it will probably smell more and the wife will probably notice it then. One can just suck air from the room and blow it right back in after going through a carbon filter and it works?????

17. damn I got excited when I read this. What about if you already have a vent system, and you just want this for back up? Am I better off putting the money into candles or something? What do you guys do for back up? I don't want to do the Ona thing, I've read its bad to breathe and I'm a healthy guy.