dead roots in dwc hydro bucket?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Panda85, Mar 23, 2013.

1. so i think im about to find myself in a strange position having conjoined plants, which one was feminized and the other was regular...its looking like the regular plant is coming out male :eek: lol so since they were in the same bucket and roots completely intertwined... what do i do to remove the male(if that is the case)? should i kill it and take as many of the males roots as i can? would this promote rot and algae in the water since ill never get all of its roots? lol ive never been in this situation, nor heard of it happening...

2. this is tricky, I don't know the answer unfortunately, but if I were in the same situation, and I think I will be in a few days... I would most likely fill a bath with water and dunk the roots in. woosh it about a bit to try and separate them as much as I can. cutting a few of the female roots is unlikely to cause any serious problems as long as you give it adequate time to recover before flowering

after a week I would dunk the roots in the bath again and agitate the roots gently to slide dead roots out. after this I'd add h2o2 to stop any remaining dead roots from rotting.

but skipping all that and just adding h2o2 might be enough to stop any problems

3. well just spent a bunch of time trying to get that pos moved lol it was not easy by any means. i didnt want to kill it off yet because i may decide to keep a clone, if its for sure male. the only way to get it is i had to pick apart each strand of roots while tugging and shaking it. each root pulled apart eventually and only had to cut a small section of the undecided male plants roots. i swapped it over to a dif res and put a dif female of the same size into its place. the only problem now, is both of the females are almost purely indica and bumpin and grinding on each other :p both are from g13 labs, NLxSK, and Cheese.

4. omg your in a shitty situation ive had this happen but it was a little different i had to chop a hermie 3 weeks prior and left the whole root ball in with the other living plant and it started to rot but i had successfully harvested. but yeah if theres only a few dead roots here and there you should be good but if theres alot of roots im afraid you will be kinda screwed

5. thanks for the response. yeh thats what i was figuring is it would cause quite a hellish problem unless i get the dead shit out. luckly i got most of it moved in one piece and should be ok. ill keep a closer eye on ph for fluctuations in case it does start to rot the roots that were left behind. since i run chem ferts in dwc i think i will try running some h2o2 just as a preventative measure. thanks again :)

6. this might sound crazy and not even possible what if you kept the male there but cut it so the roots kept alive but the plant couldnt flower cause it would be trying to repair its self and the roots wouldnt rot

7. i was thinking about that, just chop the tops and leave a little bit of lower growth on it, then once it branches out, chop those tops...keep it in a sever stunted growth stage.

8. worth a shot if the roots die you will end up with lots of nitrate and ammonia if its anthing like a fish tank and then ulitimately alge if you did cut it a poly filter and carbon filter would remove the crap but also your neutes i would think