DEA gives Colorado approval to study Cannabis treatment for PTSD

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Green Wizard, Apr 23, 2016.

1. A groundbreaking, Colorado-funded study looking at whether cannabis can treat post-traumatic stress disorder in military veterans has received the final go-ahead from federal authorities.

Study leaders announced the approval from the Drug Enforcement Administration this week. It is the first time that agency has given permission to use raw marijuana in a placebo-controlled clinical trial on PTSD. Researchers in three states worked for the better part of a decade to win the approval.....

DEA gives approval to Colorado-funded study on marijuana and PTSD

• Like Like x 3
  2. Fuck yes! It's changes like this that will get ganja rescheduled and then legalized! Go go go!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Finally. It's fucking pathetic that it has taken this long, and we should all be ashamed as a country. You would think that considering the PTSD epidemic (more soldiers have killed themselves than have died in war in the last 15 years), the government would want to do anything and everything to try to help give these soldiers (who signed up to fight and got PTSD because the gov recruited them) any relief that they could.

There's a good viceland documentary on it, it may be on youtube. Some guy who's prescribed meds through the VA for his PTSD that don't work at all, but he can't try cannabis because he signed a contract with the VA and can't afford the meds (that don't work and his life was still destroyed, and family left) on his own.

Same thing with other substances that so logically are beneficial for PTSD if you understand neuroscience and psychology, that the government won't even allow us to study. It's a shame.

This is good news overall, just wanted to bring light to it.

4. I spent 22 years on active duty & I personally know 3 men that killed themselves. I have 1 friend that was deployed 15 times. When I last saw him, the man with whom I served was gone & he was having hell since he retired. The VA's version of treatment is to give you all the pills you want & sit you in a room full of other guys & tell sad stories. I had some problems for a while but, I worked through it with my family. I didn't see how medicating and psycho-babble was going to be helpful.

A serious cannabis study is better than what is currently called treatment. The truth, in my opinion, is that it is nothing more than drug them, park them, keep them quiet.

A factor that gets left out of most veteran suicide discussions is the fact that the economy is poor, many can't find work & these vets see their families go without. VGLI >Veteran's Group Life Insurance pays in full upon the death of the vet, even if it is suicide.

Consider what people that are willing to die for their country will do for their family. A person could do the math & figure they are worth more dead, than alive. Some of the suicides very well could be an economic decision.

• Like Like x 2
  5. This

6. That's incredibly sad, thanks for sharing that and thanks for your service

7. I think most all voluntary military personal are in it for economic reasons. It's a deal with the devil so to speak. Your life for the promise of economic security.

We need to stand up and fight our own wars. We need to shed our egos and work the shit jobs that are in abundance. Sure, blowing stuff up is fun, until the tables are turned.

Legalize for true freedom.

8. Every vet is different & I can only speak for myself but, I handled my problems with my family full of the most stubborn damn women that ever existed & I smoked a mountain of kind bud. I crossed the finish line in 1 piece, other than a few scars, I'm 100%. That is a helluva lot better than many of our people, these days.

I don't have any complaints.

I just want it all to leave me alone. I don't want to attend parades or go to the VFW & I don't want them to ask me to volunteer for anything to do with it. I can't keep my head in that place anymore.

The study should not be hindered by antiquated beliefs. I can't say for certain that the cannabis helped me or not, that's why we need a real study. Solve the riddle with actual science.

9. #9 zmessengerz, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016

10. Why you quoting me dude?

11. #11 zmessengerz, Apr 24, 2016

12. I think most all voluntary military personal are in it for economic reasons. It's a deal with the devil so to speak. Your life for the promise of economic security.

We need to stand up and fight our own wars. We need to shed our egos and work the shit jobs that are in abundance. Sure, blowing stuff up is fun, until the tables are turned.

Legalize for true freedom.

• Like Like x 1
  13. The fact that VGLI does not have a suicide exclusion is common knowledge in my world. Everyone knows.

At the link one can scroll down the page to the paragraph titled, There is no suicide exclusion; or anyone can type the following question into a search engine: Does VGLI exclude suicide?

Veterans Group Life Insurance Review [Sample Rates]

Even a simpleton can find this info.

14. #14 zmessengerz, Apr 24, 2016

15. You are so wrong that it is ridiculous. Man, I'm trying to help you out.

The insurance isn't something each individual shops for. It is part of our in/out-processing with the military. While on active duty the policy is called SGLI - Servicemember's Group Life Insurance & when one retires, the policy converts to VGLI - Veteran's Group Life Insurance. Every 4 years, the retiree has to option to increase coverage to a maximum of $450,000.00 US; which I have done.

Prudential Insurance Company has the exclusive contract for all coverage for the entire US Military, both active duty & retired. Part of the agreement is, no exclusion for suicide or death in war.

Prudential Insurance is one of the largest insurance companies in the world. I'm certain they have a toll free number you can call. They will be glad to answer your inquiries.

In the private insurance market, the common practice is that they specifically exclude soldier's death by combat - commonly called a war clause - & a suicide exclusion.

If Congress didn't give the exclusive coverage to a company, military personnel would have a very difficult time finding affordable insurance because of the high risk of covering us.

16. #16 zmessengerz, Apr 24, 2016

17. I agree with you on some levels. The whole thing is one big scam. The military industrial complex is a scam.

Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI) - Life Insurance

18. #19 zmessengerz, Apr 25, 2016