De-chlorinator & Sediment Filter Vs. Reverse Osmosis

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by medpatient, Oct 25, 2011.

1. So, I have run into a bit of a problem.

I simply cannot produce enough water for my DWCs with my 150GPD reverse osmosis unit. Plus, it is a bitch filling up 5 gallon jugs with it all day long.

I have been searching and I found a dechlorinator & sediment filter like this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-chlorinator-Sediment-Filter/dp/B00286N8TE[/ame]
    From the description, this thing "Easily produces 1200 gallons per hour of clear water filtered down to 5 microns."

My tap is right about 300ppm and my reverse osmosis gets down to about 1ppm. Does anyone have experience with one of these filters? Will it clean my water up enough or should I just invest in another reverse osmosis system?

Thanks for the help Blades! :smoke:

2. Why dont you get a RO reserve tank? Check eBay. I have a 10g tank and never have to wait for water. They have bigger tanks that should fit your needs.

3. Thanks for the idea, but the problem is I have a 5 gallon tank now and it just doesn't keep up. My regular water needs are about 30 gallons a day. If I need to do a water change or set up a new station, I just can't seem to produce the extra water needed in the time that I am home and awake.

A 10 gallon storage tank is about $100. I can get the filter in my first post for $140 and will produce all the water I need plus it is supposed to extend the life of my RO filters 3x.

The question is how clean is that water? How low will the ppms drop using it as the only filtration?

4. Some people use a heavy duty trash can with a float valve to store water. That would easily hold your 30g per day plus some, and would cost about $15. Thats what I would do if I needed a lot of water. Sorry to not answer your question about the filter, but I don't know anything about it.

5. Thanks again for the ideas. Unfortunately, that one still wouldn't work for me because my reverse osmosis system is in the kitchen.

If I can't find more info on this filter soon I might just get it and be the first to test it out.

6. Well I'll keep beating a dead horse, lol. At the very least you are getting your thread bumped ;)

You already have a RO system perfectly capable of your needs, why not just adapt to make it work for you? You could run a 1/4" water line from your RO to your grow area. Or install the RO in the closest bathroom and run a line from there.

Good luck.

7. Don't worry, you're definitely not beating a dead horse. The idea of running a 1/4" line to my grow room might work. I can end the line at a huge reservoir with a float valve that then dispenses to my different grow stations. I would just need one way valves so the stations don't contaminate the reservoir.

8. The garbage can and toilet valve idea is probably your best/easiest/cheapest solution. I install and service and design RO systems for my job, so I know a bit about them. You can put a check valve on the line going into the tank, but that will only prevent the water from physicaly being drawn back to the RO unit, not preventing bacteria from passing through. The likelihood of the water back feeding to the unit is not very great, so your best bet is to maintain sanitary conditions in the tank. As far as the sediment filter you linked, nothing compares to an RO unit, in terms of simple filters. The sediment filters will do nothing for the actual purity of the water. Stick with the RO you have. 150 Gpd is ample for what you need.
    Peace