Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Daytime smoking and REM Sleep

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Classy Man, Mar 20, 2013.

1. I know that smoking closer to bedtime or right before bedtime can greatly reduce the amount of REM sleep you get, but to what extent does it affect REM if you toke during the day? Are there any in depth studies out there on this? All i seem to find is that, yes it affects REM sleep...and thats about it.

I mainly ask because i have been interested in Lucid Dreaming lately. Im wondering if smoking during the day would have any affect on my dream recall. Personally Ive noticed that i still get dreams if i smoke during the day. If i smoke at night my dream recall is way lower. But i want FACTS. Is it only when you go to sleep high? or is it if any THC or CBD is in your system (Tolerance)?

Which brings me to another question: Is it CBD or THC that affects REM sleep? If it is one, not the other, maybe i could smoke strains that are appropriate for this situation during the day, improving my REM sleep, therefore improving my Dream recall...

Personal experience is great, but i would really like some facts on this. I just want the best of both worlds :)

2. idk good question but i know throught the year of smoking 24/7 i didnt dream all that much i but i definetly did and when i would be outta weed for a few days like the first day of being dry no dreams but then a day later like 2 days of not smoking i would dream like helll an thats everytime i smoke and then dont smoke its wierd its like a day after i smoke i dont dream but then for like week after that im dreaming evrynight and my dreams are always vivid no matter what even if i dont smoke for a year i can remember my dreams throughout the day/week and shit

3. You should try taking Melatonin supplements. Always makes me dream more even when I smoke right before bed.

4. This seems to be a lot of peoples experiences, which only proves mj affects rem. I actually used this method to try and induce lucid dreaming, by smoking alot and then stopping to get those vivid dreams. I can't help but think this isn't the best way though.

I really rather not smoke at night now too because of the horrible sleep I get ( I already have sleeping problems ).

5. I have heard of that, its a sleeping aid right? I have considered it but I don't want to end up having to take that the rest of my life for a good nights sleep.

6. It's naturally occurring in your brain, but it can cause a dependency and I wouldn't take it. Maybe every once in a while

7. Melatonin (not the supplement) is is a chemical produced naturally in your brain. When it is dark your brain produces it naturally and that's why we're supposed to sleep at night. You don't need a prescription or anything for the supplement and there's not any noticeable effects. I have mild insomnia so i usually take one or two when I'm out of bud. It's not something you'll get hooked on. And it's not harmful anyway so taking it very night wouldn't even be bad.

8. Thank you for the reply. Like i said i have considered it, and might try it out and see if it affects me. I dont think this solves my original questions though. Has anyone ran into any studies online that i can take a look at, that go in depth into REM sleep and Marijuana?

9. Finally found a good link. Some useful information too, i suggest anyone interested in this topic to take a read at this.

Seems like THC is what affects REM sleep the most, so maybe smoking low THC/High CBD strains would get some people by if they dont want to completely quit.

Washington State University ADCAPS - Sleep MJ