DaVinci Vape - My experience

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013.

1. #1 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    I recently purchased a DaVinci vape . It's quite the portable and has many interesting features that other portables do not.

image-2181941523.jpg

image-284958248.jpg

Above are pics of the vape . Dont be fooled by its plastic because this is quite a solid piece of equipment. Another great thing is that the shell itself feels somewhat rubberized, so it won't slide out of your hands easily. As you can see it isnt that big and looks like those old portable radios. It has a power on/off switch on the side and three buttons . One turns on the "oven" and the other two control the temperature up and temp down (measured in degrees fahrenheit )
    This is a huge advantage as most portables don't let you narrow temps down to the degree. Another thing is that even though it is somewhat wider and not long and narrow like alot of portables it looks (as stated before) like a portable radio meaning it has a certain degree of stealth should one be concerned. The straw is flexible and surrounded by tear resistant material.

image-334788943.jpg

There are also accessories like the extra straw that is long than the original (sold separately) , extra screens and the oil cans (included) . These will come in handy once I can get a hold of some concentrates. :)

image-4050765970.jpg

image-3878405265.jpg

On the side above the ON/OFF switch, there is a tiny button that opens the hatch. The hatch is where all the magic happens. You can see there is a small brush sticking out of the top. That brush comes out of the sleeve and is a great tool to use for cleaning, especially when vaping flowers. There is a screen with a twist cap at the top that can be removed for cleaning or for using the oil cans for concentrates (going to try them hopefully today) There is also a cool feature shown in the second pic. Its a small chamber that comfortably fits another can or a small amount of herbs. This is a plus if your on the go and dont have any method of storing your product. The bottom is the chamber where you can place your flowers and oil cans. Simply stuff some flowers in or drop the can (removing the top screen cap if you're "concentrating") and close the device .

This thing heats up in no time at all and once you set your temp just wait for 15 seconds then start your draw from your straw. The straw isn't made of glass but the vapor quality is still amazing. The taste off of the first 7 or 8 initial hits is just delicious and this thing beats the crap out of my POS no name box vape ($25 off amazon crap vape but works) You will see clouds of vapor once you get your temps right .

This machine is so badass and really is well designed (the storage chamber, removable brush, removable screens , true temp control, quick heat up , etc .) and durable. Now just when everything seems perfect..it isn't :( The battery life is not that great..at all. It drains fast especially web the oven is on (ie not in standby) and you can only have about 3-4 good sessions w/o charging. The good thing is that you can charge and use it simultaneously but even then i wish the battery was just a bit better. Another pain in the ass about the DaVinci is that since the chamber is all the way inside the vape and the hatch to the chamber doesn't open all the way, cleaning this thing after use takes time. This is where the little brush comes in great use as it does a good job getting out all the excess materials.

Other than those two drawbacks this machine is the best. Honestly I love this device and was caught between it and the Arizer Solo but I'm glad I went with this because it is awesome . I am in no way affiliated with DaVanci's maker and I'm not a Vape expert although I've tried a few . I just was always wondering about this vape and wrote this to anyone else who was in my situation. I hope this helps anyone interested in this vaporizer. Keep your head in the clouds :)

UPDATE: well guys I finally got to try out the oil cans and I am happy to announce that this device vapes concentrates as good as it does herbs..if not better actually! I got pretty out of my mind with only a couple draws! The best thing is that the oils work well but don't produce enormous clouds so again if stealth is an issue, do not worry because you won't be noticed. Interesting side note : the straw can fit a small 3.5mm (?? Not sure about exact size) headphone jack so it actually looks like a pocket radio while in public.

With the oil cans this brought about the final testing for the machine and it passed with "flying colors" :smoke: . Alot of people think you should use the oil cans with herb. (one can has a high temp oil swab while the other is empty and is suggested for grinds) I highly recommend using the cans for oils and concentrated ONLY, and then using grinds and herbs in the oven chamber itself. It may be a pain to clean out but the vapor is more abundant and IMO it tastes better :D

I went to DaVinci's website and they are finally going to be utilizing glass parts in their next model!!! It's not coming until spring but I can assure you that it will work as good or better than the DaVinci . If you want to hold out you may but the DaVinci is already available and you can find them as low as 140 online. If you have questions just post and I'll try my best to answer them. Thanks for stopping by :wave:

2. Well done review, Wax.

3. Thanks for this review. I'm looking to purchase my first portable vape and this review was very helpful.

4. Thanks Iwien and Baleful ! I love this thing and it seems to be backed by a legit company . I researched and found there was a controversy with the DaVinci producing "off gases" from wiring inside the machine but guess what....the whole controversy was started by the makers of the Volcano and was a propaganda marketing scam they ran to dissuade people from buying the DaVinci (one more reason not to buy a Volcano other than it's price) Anyways, just an interesting piece of news I found while researching more yesterday.

I hope you found this review helpful. I'll probably do another vape review in a couple weeks when I can get my hands on an Arizer Extreme Q .

5. Can you please post up the proof of what you said above. I am not questioning you on this but rather I'm REALLY curious as to why this was never mentioned over at FC, 'cause tactics like this is something that would definitely be exposed there and I've never heard of it till now.

Considering that Storz and Bickle doesn't make a portable, I don't understand why they would feel that the DaVinci would be any kind of competition for them.

Thanks Wax.

6. #6 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    Anytime Iwien :)

Storz and Bickel do make a portable it's called the PLENTY and looks crazy ! (it's not as portable as the da Vinci and is more comparable to a VAPIR in size)

But check this article and scroll down to the notes and read the second bullet.

http://www.vaporpedia.com/wiki/Da_Vinci

There is no "rubbery taste" to the DaVinci in fact it tastes much better than my desktop vape (however shitty that desktop vape may be lol) and my brother who owns a Da Budda says its amazing when comparing the two how well the DaVinci performs. :D

7. #7 lwien, Jan 9, 2013
    Thanks Wax, but being that the Plenty REQUIRES AC power, I don't understand how it could be thought of as a portable. Portables can be used when you're out and about. No way that you can do that when you are tethered to a cord.

And thanks for the link. I did look it up at FC. Weird that I missed that. Shills from manufactures has occurred a few times over there and when they get exposed, which they usually always are, the damage that they cause to their own product line far outweighs ANY benefit that they THINK they are accomplishing.

8. #8 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    Thank you for clarification Iwien as I assumed the PLENTY wasnt in need of constant tethering and could be used freely (thought it was rechargeable lol)

It is a good device too and the fact it looks like some of my RIGID and Black and Decker powertools is a huge plus in stealth but I'm a little put down by the storz and Bickel incident. I need to check FC threads for further clarification if the threads are still around but I've never really ventured over there .

9. Yeah, it's still there. Mention of the Storz shill is mentioned around page 34-35 in the DaVinci thread.

10. #10 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    Awesome job researching Iwien :) I'll have to check it out and see if it's true. If so then I can't agree with S&B being legit as a company since a business is only as honest as its employees .

+rep to you :)

11. Wow! That's a very concerning allegation. So I see the vaporpedia article that claims this, but can you tell me what the "propaganda marketing scam they ran" was and when this occurred? I've never actually seen any marketing from Storz & Bickel that involved product comparisons, so I'd be very interested in seeing this campaign.

Surely you're not considering an individual's post on an internet forum to be a "propaganda marketing scam" put on by the company Storz & Bickel, are you?

12. #12 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    If the post were truly from a SB rep, then yes I do consider that to be a marketing scam however subtle it was.

It isn't an allegation if you read the Davicni thread at FC pay attention to a few posters there. At pg. 31 , post 754 , one member dug up dirt on said rep.

13. Ah, I see. I guess I just wouldn't consider a single person posting his/her findings about the design of a vaporizer on an online marijuana forum as a "propaganda marketing scam they ran to dissuade people from buying the DaVinci". But everyone sees everything differently!

14. #14 WaxPayne, Jan 9, 2013
    I see what you mean but the users at FC confirmed this same poster to post negative findings on numerous vapes except the volcano made by S&B and an IP check verified that this was a S&B employee . A company is only as strong as it's employees . Forgive my poor choice of words. I should've just said "smear campaign" or "biased review". I personally think the Volcano to be the reigning champ of the desktop world, as I've used one numerous times. I just don't like the feeling I got with it's maker.

15. I agree that it is the reigning champ in the bag world, but I'd have to disagree that it is the reigning champ in the desktop world.

16. Beautifully put.

Thanks for bringing the controversy to my attention. I didn't know about that, and will keep an eye out for any foul play.
    :)

17. #17 WaxPayne, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
    It's all good I'm not trying to persuade anyone or dissuade anyone toward anything and don't want anyone to get the wrong idea . Besides it happened a while back so everyone had forgotten about it and companies compare and contrast constantly . S&B aren't a terrible company , especially their design team. :)

On a side note: WHO WANTS AN ASCENT?!

18. Folks: The DV DID initially have offgassing issues. My first DV went back after being fired-up with nothing in the chamber only to produce visible vapor coming out the top of the hose. My 2nd DV has been a good performer for almost 6 months now. Taste is not an issue. I would (and probably will) buy another. Read the DV thread at fuckcombustion.com for more.

19. Thanks Zoo for the info. I ran a test and cleaned out the DV thoroughly and then let the DV run oven at 395 . No visible off gassing issues so I may have a later model.

Im hoping the Ascent will prove to not have any initial issues or battery issues the DaVinci seems to have .

20. Ugh, not sure if I should wait for the new model or just pick-up the one that's out now. One major pro is that they worked out pretty much all the flaws that needed to be addressed on the current model. The con for waiting for the new is that the first batch is probably gonna have a few things wrong with it. What to do, what to do >.<