Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Dave's 1st canna milk...best coffee creamer/cocoa additive ever?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by el dorado dave, Nov 8, 2011.

1. My girlfriend loves edibles but hates all the extra calories from the yummies and dislikes the taste of tincture. I looked around and saw a few canna milk recipes. Now I'm going for my own. Again, first time experiment -- all advice from experienced folks welcomed.
    Got a crockpot with a "keep warm" setting in addition to low/high for $7
    4 cans evaporated milk (most recipes I saw used cream)
    about 6 cups or so shredded up trim (strong leaf/some small buds)
    started in cooker at 1PM on low setting, will use thermometer to keep heat low (<180F ?)/switching to keep warm when temp reached, stirring every hour or so
    milk shots 001.jpg

milk shots 002.jpg

milk shots 003.jpg

milk shots 004.jpg

milk shots 005.jpg

milk shots 006.jpg

milk shots 007.jpg

also got some really good vanilla to add, also thought about honey. any suggestions? was thinking cooking on keep warm over night and strain out in morning -- too long?

2. so little over an hour later, stirred, temp on low 118F at this point, room smells yummy
    should i up the temp to high for awhile? keep on low? anybody cook up milk before?

3. #3 BadKittySmiles, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2011
    It's good to see that you have an interest in edible (and drinkable) cannabis :)

Ideally you should be starting with a pure edible solvent, such as pure oil, high proof alcohol, glycerin, etc.

For instance instead of milk, you would want to perform the extraction using milk fat... or, clarified butter. :) Cannabis glandular material is not considered water soluble, when your solvent (fat) is so diluted in water, you are reducing its efficiency, and its ability to break down that glandular material. You begin degrading your potency, long before you achieve a decent amount of bioavailability. This is why we have so many dosage discrepancies, and so many failed edible stories.. when something goes wrong during processing, or the wrong solvent is used, it can begin requiring multiple times the material really necessary for a single dose. If she is worried about fat content, it is very possible to squeeze ten dose into a teaspoon of oil or clarified butter, and she can choose a healthier solvent such as coconut oil... it is an ideal oil for extraction and absorption.

Using a pure oil source also reduces the amount of inert (and to many patients, foul tasting) plant matter such as chlorophyll, plant wax and bitter salts, that can be pulled into the mix. It's easy to have a low-fat dose when working with a more pure solvent from the beginning as well.

*** When using water, you will need to heat longer than necessary to promote bioavailability, at the cost of degrading some of the earliest potency to become active and bioavailable. What would normally be a two or three hour heating in a more-pure solvent, becomes a 15 - 24 hour process with the inclusion of water.

Finally (and crucially) activation:

Decarbing or activating your glandular material before beginning makes a huge difference... especially if you're processing your herb in a water based solution.

When water is present, it's like trying to boil the water out of a potato, versus what happens to the moisture in a potato when heated in a pure, water-free oil source (think, potato chip ;) ).

Decarboxylation occurs when we heat our herb for vaporization or combustion, and it happens over time gradually as a natural part of the aging and degradation process.
    It is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, this evaporation can not happen very easily or readily, until evaporation occurs in the surrounding water. Right now, you'll be relying on what little was already activated as part of the nature aging and degradation process. If you try to break down glandular material in a diluted solvent (oil, and mostly water), rather than creating a solution, you're going to now be relying on whatever cannabinoids who happen to have been activated, who also manage to hitch a ride on the few lipids present.
    You can see how it quickly becomes a game of odds, or numbers, and the more corners that are cut during processing, the less favorable your odds are for productive absorption. Without allowing the cannabinoids to actually bond to a 'lipid vehicle', bioavailability or their odds for timely absorption, are diminished.

-----------

For now... where you've already started, I would suggest picking a time you want to call it good and waiting until about 15 minutes before you're ready to remove your milk from the heat, before adding your vanilla (if it is natural).
    If it is artificial, add the vanilla flavoring as soon as you shut off or remove the milk from the heat source, and allow it to rest for a few minutes before trying.

In the future, be sure you: 1) decarb your material, 2) use a quality edible solvent, and 3) if fat content or health is a concern, just consider using hash, or a concentrate, to easily fill a tiny teaspoon of oil with a dozen or so doses.

-----------

And here are some past excerpts that may help in your endeavor :) .......

"..... when diluted with so much water, it's severely reducing the efficiency of your solvent, and makes it more like the butter-water methods of the old days, which take around 15 - 24 hours depending on the heat level to become effective, and after this point the earliest, more volatile cannabinoids to become active and available have degraded.

This is why we go so far, as to use clarified butter, where the milk solids and water have been removed, rather than butter in it's more 'natural' state. To dilute it even further, is very counter productive. [​IMG] " - BKS

" Originally Posted by mjmama25
    I know people who have made stem tea and thought it was worth it. What was even more worth while was the resin that built up in the tea pot over time. They scraped it and said it was like hash. "

" This is because cannabis is not water soluble.. the best tea's, (cocoa) and 'bhang' (canna milk) are still made using a pure butter/oil source initially, and then that concentrated and infused oil, is incorporated into water, or reincorporated back into milk.

Trying to make tea or canna milk, starting with both water and milk fat is (similar to the old fashioned butter-water methods) very ineffective, and the effectiveness is reduced further, the higher the water content, and the more impure and contaminated the 'edible solvent' or oil.

When making watery oils, and especially when making watery tea, a large portion of tacky, sticky, remaining glandular material, will never have a chance to become bioavailable, even with continued processing, until long after it's degraded due to exposure to heat.

The more pure the oil source, or edible solvent, the less damage the material needs to endure, before bioavailabilty occurs. The more impure the solvent, the more glandular material will remain to become degraded or entirely left behind, without ever achieving bioavailability.

Hope this helps! [​IMG] " - BKS

----

To learn how to make clarified canna or hash butter or canna 'ghee', use the following recipe with your clarified butter:

To learn how to make this (or your trimmings...)

[​IMG]

Into, this...

[​IMG]

See the link below:

(First Page, contains detailed information on decarboxylation, or cannabinoid conversion..
    decarboxylation is the process of activating your cannabinoids 'potency' by removing the
    carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, converting your cannabinoids
    from their acid, to their more potent delta forms):

Photo Tutorial: Highly Activated Med Grade Bioavailable Canna & Hash Oil, Edibles, Drinkables and more...

-----

She also has many options for medicating with tincture, besides taking it 'as-is', including the below;

Drinkables...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(And edible drinkables :p )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And there's also the option of whipping up a healthy 'CannAmbrosia Fruit Salad'...

[​IMG]

And lastly...

Sorry for the long post :p Hope this helps. :)

Have fun, and good luck! [​IMG]

4. I'll definitely be making some canna-milk soon!
    My morning coffee is going to be much better!

5. Ok. So I ended up cooking for about 4.5 hrs and then strained thru cheesecloth. My girlfriend drank 4oz at 5pm. Says she was higher than shit for over an hour with time slowing way down, etc. says now she just has a strong mellow buzz. Loves her milk and says tasted great in cocoa. I'll be cooking this up again. The evaporated milk seems to do the trick well.