Dark souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by TokinTucan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. #101 goober0331, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
    Lol what? While it is true elemental weapons only require base stats to wield, and then you just upgrade to increase damage, they are not as strong as a +15 Normal weapon with proper stat scaling. 

You even admit to not having "tested" enough, so you basically dont know what your talking about.

But please, be my guest. Invest in an elemental weapon, make it what you create your build around, and then see once you get to higher levels of the game, and PvP, your build is going to be awful.

It will be hilarious watching someone on NG+ or more using an elemental weapon.

Not to mention you SPLIT the damage AR. 

And its actually ironic, because while you said you disagree with me, you actually agree.

I said their only viable at lower levels. You say you only need base stats to wield, and other points can be allocated to different stats, which is WHY THEIR ONLY VIABLE AT LOWER LEVELS, because you dont have the proper amount of stat allocation to increase their damage enough so that it outshines an elemental.

Elementals only make the game harder for yourself as you progress. 

2. I'm actually sorry if that post sounded confrontational or condescending. I didnt intend for it to be like that, and I cant seem to edit the post again to change it.

3. Definitely do what StickyStick suggested about farming. That's what I do to prep for Sen's Fortress. After that, though, you can get 1500 souls from each of the giants, who are easy to beat if you lure them one by one and circle them to avoid getting hit.

I'm farming in the tomb of giants with my mage. One hit kills make for extremely easy souls.

Just started a dex/faith build since those are the two that I haven't leveled up much. Looking forward to using some of those dex weapons for a change.

And I'd be all about elemental weapons if it made them look different, but since they don't I just go for +15, or with my mage I go enchanted for the best scaling.

4. #104 StickyStick, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2013
    A lightning zwiehander +5 does more than zwiehander +15 (at minimum stats).  And when I say I haven't tested it, I mean I haven't tested it on all the weapons.  Plus, I would rather have 99 vit and 44 end and use a lightning zwiehander than to have to put points into str and dex to make it stronger.  Its all a personal preferance, no need to get your panties in a wad about it.  Also, I've played through NG+ with lightning zwiehander +5 and it was actually quite easy.  But I do see your point in higher levels of difficulty where scaling is pretty important.  I just don't see a point in going past NG+, I'm not that hardcore of a pve player.

5. I know how a +5 Lightning Zwei does more damage than a +15 Normal Zwei at base stats. That wasnt what I was talking about in the first place. With proper stat scaling, every +15 Normal weapon will do more damage than a comparable maxed out elemental weapon at +5. This is why, for PvP, elemental builds are only viable at low levels, basically the SL 50/55 cap.

SL 100/120 their not viable, as the defenses of your opponents are much greater, so splitting the damage between two outlets isnt as effective as pushing it through one outlet. You might have a boosted amount of health, but it doesnt really matter when you cant do any damage, and your opponents are much more skilled. Also, since diminishing returns start to be more prominent at stat level 40, going above that is rather unnecessary.

SL 150-200 its even worse, since almost every build has reached the "superman" aspect - they can basically do anything, and arent really builds anymore - and so almost everyone buffs a +15 Normal weapon. Also, better defenses, better poise etc.

I keep saying these things arent "viable", and while you can certainly use elementals if you wish, I dont, and the vast majority of the DkS community dont, view them as effective in the game. 

6. I guess its all preferance, I prefer an elemental weapon for some builds and a standard weapon for others.  No need to fight about right and wrong as there really isn't a right or wrong way to play dark souls.

7. id just like to say that scaling weapons do more damage than elemental, assuming you have the correct stats at 40 (used to be the other way around until they patched it so that +15 is best now). but that's not to say it's not viable.  just completely gouge your VIT and END, make your weapon chaos, get 10 soft humanity, and you do a solid amount of damage while stacking over 2k health + high defenses since you can use heavier armor.

anybody into pvp (or who needs co-op help for that matter), feel free to add.  ive been stuck on this game (other than sports games) since february and i dont think i'll be stopping any time soon
    GT: fitterjaguar0

8. This thread cant die!!!!

I've recently started duel-wielding and its been a lot of fun, and I encourage players to try it out.

Basically using a mura/quality build, but equipping the mura in the left hand and a halberd in the right. Then bare fist in left hand for some clutch - but rare - parries!

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=263511370228073074

9. i love dual wielding, but im not sure id enjoy that combo.  more power to you if you do though.  i like using a rapier in the off hand since the pokes are so quick.  dual katanas are fun too. 

been having a lot of fun with strength builds recently.  the large club is ridiculous and has a great move for dead angles.  also a backstab can do upwards of 1200 damage.  nice change of pace from dex/quality.  though i like dex/quality since you can ramp dex up to 45 and be able to do the kick > great combustion combo, which is devastating.

10. The murakumo is surprisingly effective in the left hand. Its attack is almost a 360 degree slash, while it is the fastest attack that the mura can produce. I just unlock with it and am completely safe up close.

Then the halberd has a versatile moveset, and primarily use it to counter-poke.

Also I have never seen someone else use this combo, so it has some nostalgia to it.

11. unlocking up close is a quick way to get backstabbed.  whenever someone tries unlocking and dead angling me, i just walk right through it (stacking over 76 poise most of the time) for the punish stab.  i'll gladly take a normal shot if i can get that in.

i just feel weird using big weapons in the off hand, especially since i lot cant even parry.

on a completely unrelated note, the painting guardian sword can produce some fun times.  been using that lately and it's ridiculous how quick damage builds up with that thing if you can get in close enough.

12. Well of course if you are just poise-stacking I wouldnt use the mura. Just counter with the halberd and keep distance, or if your just pushing for a bs i'll just counter bs lol.

13. #113 Vicious, May 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2013
    Started playing Demon's Souls. Pretty intense.

I got DkS for PS3 finally and I think I'm going to try a int/faith build.

14. Okay, got it again for PSN. How many of you are on PS3? I have to start from scratch.

Been playing the shit out of Demon's Souls and man do I have a lot to say about that. I'll make a thread for it so we don't go off topic here.

15. played darksouls and going to do do a lets play of it soon after i done with demons souls then covering darksouls 2 when it comes out next year.

16. Well, I didn't think it would be viable but this Int/Faith build is fun as fuck. Sure, they might be ready for Walk of Peace but I'm sure they shit their pants when they get hit with pursuers too. Not that the Enchanted Great Scythe doesn't get the job done. I made this as a joking around build but it's been one of the more fun I've made.

SL 119
    Vitality    30    
    Attunement    20    
    Endurance    30    
    Strength    16    
    Dexterity    14         
    Intelligence    50    
    Faith    30    

17. should have put all stats into luck and eat the game that way haha

18. There is no luck in Dark Souls. For Demon Soul's there's a strong weapon that scales with luck that is buffable. It's a good pvp weapon.

19. Come on guys, who all is on PSN, leave your tags and lets get playing together. We can make new characters or use our old ones but lets atleast get something going!

20. I'm on the 360 sadly.

Hackers everywhere.