Dark souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by TokinTucan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. #61 Spyder, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
    Am I leveling up right? Going for a tank-type character with enough mobility to dodge attacks when blocking isn't enough.

Just got to Anor Londo and here's my stats:

Level 51

Vit 24
    Atn 12
    End 26
    Str 24
    Dex 15
    Res 13
    Int 12
    Fth 8

Armor: Elite Knight Armor, upgraded a bit to make my physical defense 231
    Weapon: Zweihander +10 doing 360 damage
    Shield: Eagle Shield +7. Good poise, fine there. Plus I have a tower shield but I didn't realize I needed 30 strength so I'm keeping it away until I can use it.

I haven't really messed with magic, nor have I felt the need to use any so far, so I haven't bumped up my intelligence or faith at all. Share your recommendations! Still a noob despite putting in like 30 hours so far.

2. #62 goober0331, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
    @ Spyder

Not sure what your starting class was, but basically you are making a Strength build, and your choosing to make it a tank build. I always value mobility/roll speed over tanking, so the build I'm going to post uses that mentality.

You should never invest in Resistance, it is useless. Allocate enough points so that you can qualify to use whatever weapon or weapons you want, and then if you are going to make the weapon(s) +15, then further invest in the corresponding stats that boost their damage. Or you can boost Vitality and make a Health Build, in which case you should augment you weapon(s) to a elemental style, and thus max damage with low stat-requirements while boosting health. Or you can invest in Int/Fth and make augment the weapon to a Magic/Enchanted path, or Divine/Occult, to further boost damage.

However elemental weapons will never do as much damage as a +15 weapon with corresponding stats, and when you get to around SL 100 - where PVP starts to get serious - elemental weapons fail, since they split their damage between 2 paths, and thus deal lesser damage, instead of a +15 weapon that solely causes one type of damage.

Now their are exceptions. If you make a VIT Build than an elemental is the way to go, and some players do this while equipping the Hornet Ring and only try to get critical's, aka backstabs. Faith builds will require players to use mostly split damage weapons, but can also use Miracles, and same goes for Intelligence and sorcery.

A very common build is a Dex/Pyro build, since Pyromancy requires only investment into the Attunment slot, and not Faith or Intelligence , and since you are not allocating those points to other attributes, you can then boost weapon damage through stats and boost health.

However the first few builds you make will be terrible, since you dont know what your doing, and because the way you play the game changes.

Here are some examples of builds I am currently using/building, and hopefully you can get an idea of how to make a build.

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=232318861399284488

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=224672120572379917

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=472422175802066495

I also highly recommend the Dark Souls wiki pages. Tons of great info on the sites that can help.

3. So it looks like you lean towards dexterity over strength. I thought about leveling up my dexterity a bit more since I found a few cool weapons that require a higher level but I'll probably just keep upping my strength.

Still debating on leveling up intelligence or faith. Enchanted weapons sounds pretty sick but I'll take raw strength if it's better in the long run.

4. Or go man eater build :) it's actually a very good build

Sent from my iPhone using GC Forum

5. Bump!

Started my second legit character, decided to make him a sorcerer. Been putting a ton of points into int and it's a lot easier and a little more fun than my tank.

Funny thing is I'm like a level 78 with my tank and i put like 50+ hours into that guy and I just got the Lordvessel.
    About level 61 with my sorcerer, just got the lordvessel a little bit ago, and have only been playing with him for 15 or so hours haha

Really do love my int character though. Smough and orenstein were cake, and I just used the white soapstone for the first time to help people with that boss battle. I definitely made it easy for them. Just sat back and casted soul arrow and the homing spell until they ran out, then charged with my +4 enchanted dagger. So powerful.

Also did them a favor by killing the fatty first so they can get that sick dragonslayer armor.

I just wish there was enough time to give a friendly bow before I depart back to my world, cause the last guy I helped gave me a titanite chunk. Not sure why but I appreciated it.

6. Here are my stats for a pretty tankish cleave build.

At SL 110 starting class as bandit

Vit: 87
    Att: 8
    End: 40
    Str: 16
    Dex: 12 (for short bow with poison arrows)
    Resist: 11 (base)
    Int: 8 (base)
    Faith: 10 (base)

Armor: Moms mask, Giant armor, Havels hands/legs, Havels ring and RoFaP
    Weapon: Lightning Zwei +5/Short bow
    Shield: Grass Crest

I have 91 poise (enough to tank just about anything) and 325 defense.

I really recommend using Grass Crest with an ultra greatsword and the boost to stamina regen is vital and IMO you would be better off going down the an elemental path with the zwie instead of just getting it to +15

Yes, this is probably one of the cheapest builds out there (pvp wise) but its great fun with pve.

7. Interesting build you have.
    I actually have a lightning zweihander, but I don't use it. Just made it for fun.

My main weapon with my tank is a +14 claymore. Dishing out 409 damage. Defense is 353 with Havel's armor, and poise is 121. My guy does not budge.

Here's my current stats for my tank:

Level 78

Vit 28
    Atn 12
    End 36
    Str 32
    Dex 20 (so I can use the dragonslayer bow. more for fun than anything)
    Res 13
    Int 12
    Fth 8

Using Eagle Shield +10 btw. Working fine for the time being.
    I suppose he's not so much a tank, but an overall powerhouse. Probably shouldn't have put so much into dex, but whatever.

And here's my sorcerer's stats for the hell of it:

Level 63

Vit 22
    Atn 19
    End 22
    Str 10
    Dex 11
    Res 8
    Int 41
    Fth 9

Armor: Crimson Robe & Waistcloth, Ornstein's Gauntlets, Crown of Dusk
    Shield: Dragon Crest +2 (primarily, I use a couple others every now and then)
    Weapons: Tin Banishment Catalyst and an Enchanted Dagger +4 (does 277 damage)

Like I said, I'm enjoying my sorcerer a bit more. Did a better job distributing my stats this time since I'm not such a noob to the game. I'm officially further with my sorcerer, and I did it in 1/3 of the time, literally. Gonna venture into the crystal cave next.

8. Hell yea, sorcery is pretty fun. You do know the 44/50 int benchmarks right? 44 for CSS and and 50 for the dragons breath thing.

9. Yeah I'm probably going to level it to 50 so I can use white dragon breath. At 44 now. And I have enough to get it to 47 but I'm still debating.

Kinda wanna ditch the Ring of Favor and Protection so I can use the wood grain ring + the bellowing dragoncrest ring, but it's just too damn good.

Also just got the gold-hemmed set. Looks badass and has nice flame resistance, and is lightweight, but I don't see what all the hype is about. I see people calling it the best light armor in the game, but you can't upgrade it. I'll be wearing it just because it looks cool and I'm going to the place down below with the lava, but I'll probably switch it up depending on the situation I'm in.

The sage set isn't bad, especially the robe.

Oh, and I beat the shit outta Seath. Easy, but I didn't cut his tail off. It was getting to be a pain since the only melee weapon I use is a dagger (which is +5 enchanted now. pretty fun to use when I don't wanna waste my spells)

Keep forgetting that I have the peculiar doll. Maybe I'll visit the painted place for the first time. No clue what that place is like so it'll be interesting lol

10. If you wanna ditch the RoFaP (which I don't suggest doing) I would wait till the very end of the game so you can go and get it again in the beginning if you want it. Dwgr isn't as good as it used to be since you need <25% equip load now.

As for Gold Hemmed. It is still one of the best light armors in the game. Dingy Robe +10 beats the chest though and Antiquated Skirt +5 beats its legs.

11. #71 Spyder, May 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2013
    I don't see why gold hemmed is said to be the best though. Offers barely any protection. I know it's not important in a light set, but it's nice to have so you don't get killed in 1-2 hits. Still wearing it since it looks cool and I'm nearly fireproof.

And equipment load isn't an issue. Still probably going to keep it on and just switch between the bellowing dragon crest ring and dark wood grain ring. I'm digging the dragon crest ring combined with that one lady's crown thing. Oolacite something or other. Gives a nice boost to damage.

12. I've been playing Demon's Souls a lot lately, now that I've kind if figured it out I don't die as much. I'm definitely getting this game next, especially since its only like $20 now.

13. Please do! That way I have more people to talk about this game with haha

But yeah, for 20 bucks it's a hell of a bargain. I'm enjoying it more than I did with Skyrim to be honest. I love the Elder Scrolls games btw. I'm now a huge fan of these games as well though.

You better get this game quick, 'cause Dark Souls 2 is coming out in September. I'm pumped!

14. its time for me to start playing this again. i quit for like 6 months due to ornstein and smough. finaly beat them and just lost motivation to play

15. Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragon Crest + Tin Banishment Catalyst + Power Within = nearly 2000 damage with CSS <3

16. Ha it's definitely a crazy amount of damage. Not sure what kinda damage I'm doing now, but I just went through the tomb of giants and was one hitting them with crystal homing soulmass.

The boss was kinda tough at first though. But only because the first couple times I ran around too much and a bunch of giant skeletons spawned. Third try I was stayed in one area, debt with a few little guys with my dagger, then used my strongest magic and beat him pretty easily.

Got my int to 50 before the fight but didn't use the dragon breath spell. Actually don't like it all that much. Takes a little too long to cast and doesn't have the best range. The more spells the better though. Need to get my attunement up from 19, but it's a long ways to get that 6th slot.

Oh, and I upgraded an estoc to +4 enchanted for the he'll of it and it's pretty fun to use. Took me a while to compare it and the rapier, but in the end I went for length over speed and critical. Nice switching between that and the dagger.

17. Dont forget the Read Tearstone Ring!

18. Thats why I chose an int/dex build, I couldn't deal with the cast times lol

19. Okay, so my xbox croaked and I lost over 8 builds and 500 hours. So smoke one for me, loosing data has the same sting as it did as a child when my Zelda files were erased. Well, since then I've gotten a PS3 (again) and the first thing I grabbed was Demon Souls. Still trying to decide on my first build.

I have some other JRPG on priority but I will be picking up Dark Souls again. Spyder, I didn't know you were on PSN, let alone played this. PM me your skype. I can help you out a lot real time.

20. Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Dragon Crest + Manus Catalyst + Power Within x Pursuers/Dark Bead point blank = Your game will break.

On the dragon that covers the bridge in the paint world, on NG+ pursuers did somewhere around 2.5k and DB did 2.7k+. Two shots, ded.