Dark souls

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by TokinTucan, Mar 5, 2013.

1. I thought it was called Demon Souls?....

2. Two different games.

Awesome speedrun under 1:12:00.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvpKCc8kWyA]Gravelord Sword Runs in a Nutshell - YouTube[/ame]

3. I love watching speed runs! My favorite had to be the super Mario world games

4. I tried Dark Souls on 360 but got frustrated not too far into it and ended up trading it in. Im playing Demons Souls right now on PS3 though and think its a little easier and more enjoyable.

5. My friend i am currently on NG++++++++

6. I would be playing demon souls if my brother didn't pawn it off for cigarette money...ass

7. #27 Vicious, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
    On a different note, this is one of the most depressing games I have ever played. Everybody Gets Fucked: The Game. I love every bit of it though. The story and world really stick because of the lore and the fact that the plot isn't shoved down your throat. Not only that but the experience of it all.

So far my favorite Dex weapons have been the Baulder Side Sword, the Silver Knight Sword is dope too but I like the moveset a little more with the Baulder. The Great Sythe is the one of the best but I dislike halberd class weapons. I'll switch to a katana or rapier once in a while but I love the buffed sword.

For STR The BkGA is dope but I prefer the halberd for this one despite what I just said. I'll usually grab a Large Club from blighttown which is a great early weapon if you don't have luck with the Black Knight drops. Demon Great Axe does some damage as well.

I was going to play around with a Dex/Faith build next game but i think I might try STR/INT instead.

Also, a couple fun video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhd6cLqv0I[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86vzpyV4KZM[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd4JnDKGj_Y[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJgdHvKz2_Q[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvKXOUHxJZc[/ame]

8. @Vicious

That last video was ok I guess. I almost immediately stopped watching because of the music, but decided to just mute it instead. Only the first 30 seconds were enlightening at all, with some direct quotes from the devs, and the next 3 or so minutes was one unrelenting, mindless clusterfuck of a montage.

The idea of limiting player options in the beginning I'm on the fence about. IF they do it right, and have a tutorial-like area, then your free to go through the tutorial as a neutral character, and then at the end decide how you want to play and actually pick a "style", than I think it will work. Much like that of Oblivion or Skyrim, which they said they were trying to appeal to.

9. #29 Vicious, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2013
    Didn't mean to get your hopes up but that was kinda the intent of the last video, it's suppose to be ironic. I'm not sure what you expected from "To Casual Edition".

I'm completely against picking a style outside a "starting class'. Part of the charm of DkS is the builds. I don't want the game to be any easier than it is. If they only scale the difficulty people will only keep crying "artificial difficulty". Though I see what you mean about style, Gwyn was originally intended to be a boss you could fight how you wanted. Ranged, magic, agility, tank, etc. He's considered by Miyazaki as one of the biggest let downs considering you can just parry loop him.

10. Look up "the forest shotgun"

11. My point on style was in figuring out how people want to play the game.

The tutorial for Dark Souls was, bare to say the least, but I didnt have a problem with it. I knew going in this game was not gonna hold your hand, and wasnt concerned.

But I can see from a more casual gaming perspective the tutorial can be brutal. If it limits options, and then during the tutorial gives players a little taste of each playing style, and then lets them decide at the end of the tutorial what they want to play as, than I say its not too far-fetched.

12. Look at video #3.

13. Bump!

Just got this game after having the urge to play a new rpg.

Not as hard as I expected, but definitely still tough. Love the boss battles so far.

14. The game is as hard as you make it. If you are over-leveled for every area it wont be hard, or if you just watch guides on Youtube its a breeze, or if you go through every area hollow and not deal with PvP.

I will say that if you have EXTREME sense of observation and attention to detail then you can make it through quite easily. The devs throw in tons of tiny hints to tip the player to certain things in the level.

15. And still Gwynn is easy at any difficulty.

16. #36 StickyStick, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
    Definitely one of my favorite games, play it constantly. My PSN is Dubz209 if anybody wants to pvp or co-op, I'm SL 117 I believe.
    EDIT: On NG+ just got the DLC so I've been fartin around with it.

17. #37 Spyder, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    Well I'm already stuck on the gargoyle bosses. Came close to killing off the first one but they down me before I get a chance to get my health up. A bit frustrating but I've accepted it and I'm trying to level up a little bit more.

Haven't used any magic yet. Doesn't sound all that intriguing to me so I may hold off on it for a while and just go for a warrior build. I managed to run by a bunch of giants in a forest and grabbed a nice set of heavy armor. My guy moves pretty slow compared to before, but I have good poise and defense now. I like using dual shields sometimes just for fun. It actually works pretty well.

Really enjoying this game.

Oh btw, can anyone tell me a little about the pvp stuff? Can other people hop into my world and beat the shit outta me whenever they want as long as I'm human? I've spent a decent amount of time as a human and I haven't had it occur yet, but I have seen a couple co-op messages around. Not exactly sure how that works either so I didn't summon them.

18. For the gargoyles you can have Knight Lautrec help you. You can find a video on youtube about how to get him to, you can also purchase a stone from a vendor in the undead burg to be able to drop your own sign so others can summon you (you don't have to be human) and that way you can learn the fights.

As for magic, it is helpful after a while. Spend some time looking at miracles you might want and level up your faith to be able to use them.

Running slow, fight Havel the Rock and get his ring, it boosts your equipment load and you shouldn't have problems for a long time after that.

For PvP, yes people can come invade you anytime they like as long as you are human and you have not killed the area boss. But, only certain people can invade based on your soul level. Once you get around soul level 100 it will happen a lot more than say soul level 20 or 30.

For summoning people, just do it. It can make the difference in beating a boss or not. But be ware, bosses will get a life boost out of it.

19. #39 Spyder, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
    Thanks for the help.

I just summoned some guy and we were on our way to fight the gargoyles and some dude with a scythe came up and invaded our shit hard. One hit killed us both.. Didn't have much to lose but I think I'll probably stay ugly for a while to avoid being raped.

And I'm gonna try to not watch any help videos or anything and do it myself because I got the Drake Sword and I feel like I'm cheating almost lol. Can't stash it away though, it looks cooler than any other weapon I've got.

edit: Just tried again and beat them easily. Guess I overdid it by upgrading my armor a bunch and going up 2-3 levels. Oh well VICTORY!

20. @spyder

Be aware that the Drake Sword doesnt scale with any stats. So eventually most weapons will outshine it. That is unless you plan to upgrade it and use it for a build.