Dark Side Of The Moon

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Spiritinthesky, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 10th March 1973, Pink Floyd released their eighth studio album 'The Dark Side Of The Moon' in the US. It remained in the US charts for 741 discontinuous weeks from 1973 to 1988, longer than any other album in history. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks, and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006. With an estimated 45 million copies sold, it is Pink Floyd's most commercially successful album and one of the best-selling albums worldwide. Pink Floyd - This Day in Music iPhone and iPad App - YouTube

2. Music lovers are required to appreciate this album on some level, even if you don't like Pink Floyd. The concepts are truly interesting. The vocals are stunning Great Gig in the Sky...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBabMxnFQsQ[/ame]

The raw emotion conveyed on this album is great. I love going from Neil Young's "Down by the River" into "breathe"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIQCxAUKgXU&feature=related]Pink Floyd- Breath in the Air - YouTube[/ame]
    fun songs to play on the guitar and the verses are pretty much the same.

I could do without some of the bells and whistles that are on the album that make it experimental, but musically its a great album.. David Gilmour makes the band imo.... You are fooling yourself if you think the Syd Barrett era is just as good. I think the guys absolutely nuts and his playing, song writing and singing is garbage. DG is a great player and singer and complements Roger Waters great, whose bass playing I love. This album is where they were geling the best in my opinion and the dark spacey sounds are iconic.

Iconic albums are iconic for a reason. Your an asshole if you don't like this album, your an asshole if you don't like Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys, your an asshole if you don't like Abbey Road by the Beatles.

3. i dunno, i kinda do prefer syd barrets floyd, but i guess its a pretty different style, more noisy and tripped out, i guess thats what i dig about it.

but i guess shit like ummagama and more mantain that kind of 'experimental' feeling after syd left, but id say its more progressive, kind of on a larger scale, which is cool but not really the same.

to me dsotm is in very different field to barret era floyd, so its kind of hard to compare.

i dunno what im going on about really.

but yeah, dsotm is an essential album.
    i can only imagine what listening to it for the first time again would feel like.

4. Syd deffinitly Had the acid rock going when he was still in the band.

5. post barret imo was best i love syd tunes but floyds sound in early and mid 70's was so fluid and mind blowing love darkside so much thanks for post op

6. Definitely killer fucking album and it will be remembered forever. I love falling asleep to it at night.

7. One of the greatest creations of mankind.

8. #8 biggg bassset, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
    Edit: I have the wrong person haha

9. What the Fuck? First of all it was Barrett, not Garrett, and I'm pretty sure he didn't do any of the things you listed. He just took too much acid and ended up living with his mother for the rest of his life being a recluse.

10. obscured by clouds > dark side of the moon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBD8et7lrQA]Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds (1972) (Full Album) - YouTube[/ame]

11. [quote name='"Mastertokes2.0"']

What the Fuck? First of all it was Barrett, not Garrett, and I'm pretty sure he didn't do any of the things you listed. He just took too much acid and ended up living with his mother for the rest of his life being a recluse.[/quote]

Haha my bad man I was thinking midnight oil. Thought I seen the name Garrett and went on a rant haha :p

12. Dark Side of the Moon is an awesome album.

But so is Meddle!!