Dark periods

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Deleted member 985840, Aug 5, 2017.

1. my buddy said he left his ready to harvest plants in the dark for 4 days and they swelled and changed color to a purple before chopping.

I currently have a tent with 6 plants. 2 super skunk ready to harvest, nice ambers 10%. 2 Afghan Kush, sprouting nanners in clusters today and just starting to turn amber (5%). Then On the other side I have 2 G13 that aren't ready yet. These are in a scrog net.

Last feeding was last Fri, Monday regular water with a small flush, Wed was a dose of sugaree. I flush by slowly over watering and when I am sure the soil is thoroughly wet I continue until the tray is full, just under a gallon of run off each as the leafs on the SS were looking pretty crispy for my taste. I think the flush caused the AK to stress out the nanners.

When I harvest I hang my branches wet trimmed in a cardboard box in the tent they came from so I can use the filter to control odor. Leaving plants outside the tent is not an option as one plant stinks my place up to high heaven.

Would I best be served by giving them an extended dark period? If I do, will it harm my G13's or make them freak out or extend their flower season? I need about another week or two on those plants. Should I instead chop them before lights come on tomorrow, hang them in the box then out the box in the tent with a blackout shade over the opening to block my cobs?

This is far from my first grow. I am just looking for ways to improve my product.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Honestly, I have no idea. In all the years we've had our grow going, I've stuck to the basic 12 on/12 off light schedule. At the end, all they're doing is fattening up the buds and I don't think that they would even have time to put on seeds, which is what you are usually concerned about when interrupting light cycles, but whether or not it makes a difference or not....who knows. The turning purple is generally from the strain of weed you're growing. The berries, etc., given the correct temps at the right time, will color up like that. I don't think leaving them in the dark that long would have anything to do with their coloring. But I'm certainly no grow guru. I've been running ours for several years now and I do know a little, but in no way have I even scratched the surface regarding grow knowledge because there is just so much out there now. All I can suggest is that if you are curious, give it a shot. But I definitely wouldn't do it with plants together that are different ages. If you have to that are ready and 2 that aren't, messing with the light cycle will definitely screw up the younger plants. You'll have to make sure all your plants are the same age. I don't think it would hurt them if you gave a shot so it's pretty much up to you. TWW

3. I think you are right about the color change. I did a cookies Kush under my cobs and she darkened up here fan leafs at the end. Same strain under burbles didn't change colors nor grow as well but works. So it could be light intensity, age, heat, too many factors.

The plants are all the same age, just different flowering periods.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I practice the dark. Usually it's couple of days I have went 4 days and 5 days before didn't see anything significant in going that long not yet anyways I still practicing it though it's usually 2 days 3 days and I even have took and put them back in the light for a week and then took them back out and put them in a dark again for a couple of days before I harvest it it does change things the buds do swell I haven't noticed any coloring differences though that's possibility I only do it with certain strains I haven't done with everything I've ever tried to grow I've done it with photos only the sage and sour from th seeds I've done it with only White Widow from seedsman. Aurora. Acapulco Gold Barney's Farm and red dragon Barney's Farm. some of these strains you can't see a difference some of these strains you can see a difference right away. It's still kind of new to me I've been practicing it for about 8 grows now I'm so nothing I do is conclusive yet but give me another year or so and I'll figure it out.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Right yeah that's my normal practice 2 days to 3 I don't usually go out there 5 but again I was just experimenting with different things and different ways to do it like I said I'm still experimenting but I have found good results in letting them go dark and then light and then dark again I'm not sure what the ratio is for it again I haven't tried it on the same strain over and over and that's the only way you're really going to get conclusive results is the same strain over and over again until you can figure out what's the best way and take notes

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Plants growing in colder environments also make leaves turn purple depending on the strain...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum