Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

[DABBERS ONLY] Black ash/res on glass nail after dab

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by cmcshane, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Title pretty much says it all,  but i'll go a little more into detail.
    So pretty much bought a new rig a couple weeks ago and it came with a glass nail. I'd heard that glass/quartz nails were amazing for flavour so i thought it was going to be amazing. But after each dab i take I get this black resin/ash all along my nail. This never happens with my ti nail so i'm getting nervous. I can literally scoop out ash after, its kinda disgusting. I know that it's not any chemicals/residual butane because i used colibri and did a 10 hour vac purge. I'm wondering if it could possibly be the quality of the glass nail, but i doubt it. I know the blower and he is working with all-american glass, no china lead-filled glass. Anyways some feedback would be great. 

Thanks all,
    keep globbin

2. sounds like maybe a bit too much tane was used and ya pulled some excess lipids

3. If it's madw with butane, thats why..

Do you have a butane extractor? You can buy a nice one starting at 800.

OP did say that he purged it beforehand.

5. #5 mscannabliss, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    haven't used a glass nail since about 9 months ago when i started to dab but on my quartz and glass nail i can't remember anything but what happens even on my highly educated domeless nail. after the bho is smoked it always seems to leave a blackened area where i hit my dabber to the nail. i know the stuff i get as well is always vac purged and tested at lab facilities for butane residuals...weird as shit or any other dabbers out there experience the same thing?? kinda freaks me out sometimes. never clumpy or ashy though...maybe you're not getting your nail hot enough / too hot? try testing different heating. 

6. you probably just got some plant matter in your product and thats leavin ash/resin behind. happens often, nothing to worry about. just clean ur nail regularly with ur dabber.  

7. #7 turbotoke, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
    I make my own ISO and this happens to me as well, I think it's from impurities taken from the flower, like chlorophyll and what not.  I don't worry about it too much, the dabs still taste great and hit hard.

8. i've had people smoke iso hash on my nail before and it has left ash, i think it's just because it wasn't completely full melt. and @Higherrrr Yes i do have a butane extractor.... *facepalm*. I have a 2 stage 6cfm that keeps an average of 29.8 so it's extremely good, my dissector is also one of the top of the lines. My thoughts are that it could be how hot the nail is, or either that i may have used too much tane and pulled some excessive lipids. This stuff looks like see through honey, no bubbles, no sizzle or anything. I did use just over a can and a half for an ounce and a half material, so that may have contributed to it.

9. I get that too, especially from shatter (fucking glass taffy).

10. #11 RickyRip, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    It could be an impure product but I don't think so. Glass nails have a higher temp when red hot if your doing your dabs at too high a temp your dab combusts too rapidly and leaves u with an Ash. Let the nail cool off a little bit before you dab so it just melts and then vapes.

11. I will follow up with my recent experience. I got a glass dab bowl for my bong. A cup with a slit across the front 3/4 of the way down, and a bent arm transitioning into the sleeve that holds the bowl. When I hit my dab on a clean glass (I always burn off residue before each hit) there's a leftover black "bong resin" all over the inside of the bowl where the dab touches the glass. FYI, this doesn't come off with 91% rubbing alcohol like bong resin. It's baked on. This is what I fire up red hot until it goes away (mostly except faint white marks). Here's my thoughts: the wax I am using is "dirty" and this is why I'm getting this residue. But...is this normal? If I had some pure CO2 wax or non solvent wax, would I not be getting the same residue? Do you always get residue it's just the color that can determine the quality? Anyone have any thoughts that might help?

12. I dab legal tested oils. I use a banger and I get black residue.

Could this simply be carbon deposit after vaporization?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. I want to keep this going, but my bet is on extras taken in during the extraction. Considering the bud I used, im not surprised. Some of my current batch leaves a black gooey residue, easy to separate from the actual oil on the end of the dabber if I spread it out, the way it acts when played with it seems like its some sort of plant matter, but then again that's my batch.

I imagine even since yours baked bread baker has residue it probably is plant matter, because its something most cannot avoid when extracting, and yours is tested so it cant be butane or chem leftovers.

14. Ive been have a similar problem in the last 4 months or so. And i live in a legal state, so everything is tested and held to a standard. But it only started happening once I moved back to a legal state as well. I still get stoned and it still taste great, but aesthetically it looks gross.

One thing i notice my rig does with it though is sometimes itll still smoke or soak up oil. And i take extremely high temp dabs, so i have no idea how it could have anything left in it. It also builds up on the side oppisite of where i place the torch.

15. I've dabbed some cheap ass oil in my day and I would get black ash bubbles and crap after dabbing it. Like others have said, it's the plant matter that does it

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. So here is my high-pot-in-use (thats how my hippie algebra teacher taught us to say hypotenuse)

I've never had "ash" so I'm thinking plant or other material was in there... but with a domeless nail glass or TI 2 things can happen. If you don't get the nail hot enough you'll get some vapor and a hit but if you've ever done this on a TI it leaves a black glob on the nail. If you've done this on a glass nail you'll see it will form black goop in the bottom of the nail. I've seen this stuff form on the down stem too using a domeles TI which I assume is from either a little bit going into the nail when taking a big dab but more likely it's just from the smoke cooling. This is different than reclaim

17. You say its from shitty oils, but i know im not buying shitty oils. You say its from not getting high temp, but i get my bucket red hot.

No ones helping, youre all just throwing two cents in or being trolls.

18. You dab it red hot? You're dabbing too hot mate! But that's just my 2 cent troll opinion

19. With a new batch of green from a new supplier, I too was getting strange ash residue in the banger - found this thread trying to figure out what it was suspecting contamination to the greens. Confirmed. A very small amount of vegetable oil is used to grease the trim machine I've learned,..... so a small amount of it gets into the trimmings. I cooked up a batch of RSO from the same plants only from stuff that doesn't go through the trim machine to compare against and it burns super clean. Can't filter veg oil out in the RSO process, bummer, cause the oil's much better without it.