Cutting your own hair

Discussion in 'Fashion & Lifestyle Trends' started by 420neverforget, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Does anyone here cut their own hair? I'm probably gonna get some clippers and have a go at it because I hate going to the barber and I'm starting to get some Elvis shit going on up there.

My main question is do you go from the top to the bottom or bottom to top because it seems to me that top to bottom makes the most sense, but I've seen different techniques. Any other tips would be appreciated.

2. start at the top, edges, then front.... finish up around the edges again to clean her off nicely

3. Dif tech for dif heads of hair. I usually start at the cown ALWAYS then cut from there starting with whatever side(S) top or back. Get yourself a 3 way mirror aswell. After you finish cutting, edge yourself then go over your head one more time if needed.

I think good clippers is key aswell. Get yourself some andis clippers or wahl.

4. Wait, wait, wait. What are we talking about here? lol

5. I've been cutting my own hair for a few years. I just buzz it, not crazy short, I use the longest extender on it i have which leaves it about an inch and a half.
    I shave it down and let it grow out. It's pretty long right now. I'm thinking about cutting it some but idk if I should.

6. I just cut mine today, have a pair of clippers that I use to buzz my head and my beard.

Its easy, and it'll save you a lot of money. Just didn't want to spend 20 bucks every week for a fade. So now I just buzz it, line it up my hair and my beard pretty decently, and then when special occasions come up I go to the barber and get a fade.

7. use a razor

8. I've been wanting too but haven't had the balls to actually do it yet.

9. I just give myself a buzz cut. I use the shortest comb that came with the clipper set. It's my way to keep up with male pattern baldness. It's also convenient and I think it feels good. Hey, it worked for Curly.
    I do like to grow my beard out though. (see pic in public profile)

10. I have been teaching myself how to cut my own hair.

Edit: with an old hairstyling textbook and just practicing with my hair.

How I've done it is with clippers and shears - with varying degrees of success. I think you should keep in mind that you need to see the back of your head, unless you just buzz it. A well-placed mirror can save a lot of time.

Also, just work slowly, and while you should expect great things from your attempts, have a plan B just in case you need to get it fixed. e.g. don't do it at 11PM when all the salons are closed. At least do it after work or on a weekend so you can phone around for help if you need. Cool experience! It's fun to cut your own hair.

11. Is that you in your avatar? Hair looks great.

12. I buzz my head short af every sunday. You ever have people rub their hands on your head to feel it? lol happens to me all the time

13. I cut my own hair and my husband's.

Husband has really thick hair and usually lets it get pretty long, so I just start tearing ass through it with the largest clipper attachment thingy and then work down to the smaller ones until the top is at a good length, switch to a smaller one to shorten up the sides/back and then use the bare clippers to clean up around the edges.

It feels SO COOL! If I were a guy, I'd buzz my hair all the time and be constantly rubbing it. :p

14. damn i need my proper fade and line up

there is no way im doing that on my own

15. I always cut my own hair. Buzz it off most of the time. Why pay money when you can do it yourself.

I've given myself a fohawk before as well. Took a while, but i was successful

16. i tried once.....came out too shoddy and i ended up shaving my head completely lol

17. image-387909369.jpg

I cut my own hair

18. hell to the no, i see waaay too many girls cutting their hair with an actual shaving razor like.. oh god, the split ends, the unevenness, it's a nightmare.
    literally every girl i know that does cut her hair herself, their hair looks like shit. just coincidence. i get mine cut at salons lol.

19. I think you do a pretty good job. I like it.