Cutting Glass?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by Potentcy, Aug 10, 2010.

1. #1 Potentcy, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
    Hey guys
    I wanna get a beer bottle and cut a little hole in the side of it for a down stem and make a ghetto bong cuz I just broke my bubbler and have nothing to smoke out of

Does anyone know how I could do this?
    I just want a hole the size of the circumference of a pen

I don't want to make it out of plastic because last time the smoke turned all yellow and it hurt...

edit: I have a diamond glass cutter but I don't think that would work because You have to score the glass, then "break it" so it would be awkward.

2. You need a carbide tipped drill bit, just find one that is the size that you need.

You could use a dremel too if you have one. But you still need a carbide tip.

Look on the packaging, it should say if it can be used on glass or not.

And be careful, you need to drill straight at a perfect 90 degree angle and not pivot the drill when your drilling it out, otherwise the glass will break.

yes, that scoring blade thing is for flat sheets of glass, wont work on a bottle......unless you are extremely skilled and have the hand accuracy of a surgeon.

3. You can get circle cutters at glass shops. Other than that, I'm not sure.

4. Any Carbide Tip Drill Bit. I bought one from Home Depot yesterday for $11.

5. Wait glass melts at 1723 C and a blow torch is around 1995 C
    Could I melt a hole through it?
    edit: or make it malleable enough to force a object through to make a hole

6. I am doing this with a milk bottle (glass) right now. You need the carbide or diamond drill bit. A torch will heat the glass unevenly and cause it to shatter. The hot area expands too fast and the cold area can't take the stress. A dremmel tool spins too fast creating too much heat IMHO. You need to cut or grind slow and keep it wet to cool it off. (I have been drilling and grinding for an hour and I can barely get the downstem in, not the ground glass part yet (14mm).
    Hope this helps. Remember SLOW!

7. No, I wouldn't torch it. You'll most likely crack the glass. If not, the area around the cut won't be annealed and will eventually crack. (Could be that day, could be months later...)

8. alright i guess I gotta go buy a new drill bit
    thanks guys!