cutting deals with shops?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by dkoi, Oct 18, 2011.

1. So I have been reading around and every one says never settle for sticker price. But if this is the case what methods do you use to try and make them drop the price. Should I just straight say to much low can you go lower or what?

2. ask whats the bottom dollar u would take for it??right now...cash.all they could do is say no

3. What I was thinking was patients was key....

4. Look for small scratches, funny looking welds, and small defects. Talk em down on that fact. Once you become a regular, they may just give you a discount. I bought a tube with slight surface scratches in one place, got it for a hell of a steal.

5. patience????? dont wait too long or somebody else will grab it

6. sometimes if you go into a shop and say "I'm looking to spend around x dollars" they'll cut you a deal

7. Say i want x for y.

or go in there knowing what you want and say i want that piece there, and i need to get it for this price. Be reasonable and dont be rude and you might get your deal, or they may counter.

If they cant do it for what you think is fair walk.

8. Go in there also with an attitude that you really don't need the piece.. maybe start out with "yeah I'm getting bored and looking to expand my collection further"... play it off as if you want it.. but no way do you need it as bad as the price tag tries to admit

9. Thanks guys good helping. What's the most you guys have knocked off a price before

10. Think most ive done was an AC that was marked at like 250, paid like 180. I think a decent rough estimate would be to try for bout 20% less than sticker since thats about what lotta shops do. Ive also been in shops that wont budge on sticker. This place in denver my homie was tryin to buy a 25$ pipe, was offerin 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and wouldnt come down a dollar. However that shops prices were already more than fair. 4 of us walked out with piceces at sticker price and were happy.

11. just keep being hesitant. mess around and just practice talking to them. every piece has some sort of flaw so make sure u exploit it and drive the price down

12. May I ask the shop I live in the big Co actually?

13. Once i was a regular @ my LHS they gave me 10% off all glass, and they gave me 3 lighters which work as a 15% off coupon on any single item in the shop. Just go to a reputable shop that has fair prices, buy all your glass there, get discounts.:cool:

14. the more you no the better. if the guy at the shop thinks you dont know your shit hell get you for as much as possible. I agree with be a regular and the discounts just come. i bought a $500 bong i $78 bong a $78 precooler and some insence i walked out payin $530. you could also try offering a price you want to pay and if he says no seem iffy on the buy if hes a good salesman hell try to make a deal with you.

15. I offer them what I think its worth or what I want to pay for it.

16. My homie got a hundred bux off a hvy piece cause the downstem was stuck in. Once he paid for it thwy told him put it in the freezer. 30 secs in the freezer it came right out.

17. My homie got a hundred bux off a hvy piece cause the downstem was stuck in. Once he paid for it thwy told him put it in the freezer. 30 secs in the freezer it came right out.

18. lets say im at the headshop and i see a piece im interested in, a lot of times i will ask the price they will say well its 300 but i can do 275. if i really want the piece and the reduced price is close to what i want to pay i will usually say i only have 250 but its cash can we make a deal? usually they will but i always make sure to strike up conversations on glass and the new products to show that im knowledgeable and friendly.

19. Have never even thought about cutting a deal before but last time I was at a headshop ( in Georgetown in DC) I got 15 bucks off the pipe I was buying since I also bought a gram of 30x salvia. Lady must have seen I didn't have that much cash.

20. That's exactly not what to say. You think some guy trying to make money is just gonna come out and say the bottom price he'd sell it for. Sticker price is fair price. Anything lower you have to work for.

Ex. Toro sticker price 750. Hit him with a pretty low price but don't insult. This way you have room to work with. If you want to pay $625 don't ask " could you do $625 for it?". Say could you do 575. Hes gonna be like I reall can't but I can do 700. Then say something like idk man I really didn't want to go above 600 but I really want this piece. He'll most likely lower his offer "ok I'll do it for 650 but I can't go any lower". Then you say something like damn dude 650 is a little too much of a strecth, I really didn't want to spend this much but you seem like a cool dude and I wanna buy my piece from your shop so if you could take 625 cash right now I'd be happy. Then the shop owner will either take your final offer, meet you somewhere in the middle, or if he's a hard bargainer stick with the last price he gave you