Cutting back.

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by MiniMuffet, Jan 18, 2013.

1. I need advice on how to make my boyfriend cut back on his intake. Biggest reason: he's wasting a ton of money. He smokes mindlessly, he always has to, or else it's like he's not having a good time or gets bored.

Whenever we run out of weed, it sucks yea, but he literally won't eat like a little child and it's an even bigger downer. The only thing that's wrong with him is he smokes too much weed so it takes away his appetite. I sometimes do "one hit in the morn, one hit at night" to help conserve, but on his days off, it's this endless rampage of morning, mid-morning, afternoon, x2 or 3 times at night. That's like 5 bowls a day. I use weed as medicine, if I'm happy or would prefer a coffee I don't have any and when I need some I take enough for the effect and I'm good. He smokes his stuff like cigarettes, I want to say needlessly.

Did any of you go through something like this? Growing up, starting to work, needing to shrink the weed budget in order to pay for things? What changed you? This guy calls me his wifey and speaks of marrying me, so yeah I kinda make it my business to cast some question on his habits.

2. Holy crap you just described how my buddy and his girl used to be. He smoked way too much and always complained if people were dry. I don't know what made him slow down but he's been capping less and smoking less and worrying much less about it. My suggestion would be to get him into some other activity. Hiking, kayaking, swimming, bicycling, anything that can take a person's mind off of weed. If he can stop making weed the only thing he concerns himself with it won't be a problem when he runs out.

3. It appears his focus in life is marijuana. Tell him what you told us, and you guys will have to talk it out. Don't force him into changing because he will resent you for it. If he wants to change, he has to do it on his own. I'm not saying cut weed out completely, but there really is no reason to be stoned off your ass 24/7 365.

He needs to find something he can take pride in. That requires him to be sober to do. I was like this a while back. My life revolved around weed and I wasn't diggin it. My saving grace was my job. I put things in perspective and talked it over with my self. Why risk a 6 figure a year job to smoke a little pot? Doesn't make any sense IMO.

I guess ultimately if he won't cut down on his own, you will have to give him an ultimatum. Show him that he has something to lose.

4. Can he afford the weed?

5. give him an ultimatum. weed or you

normally, i would just say break up with him because it appears weed is much more important to him, but your relationship at this stage is also very serious

6. Wait a minute, give him WHAT?

Excuse me, but please tell me, are you a guy or a girl?

If you're a girl, I'd understand, but if you're a guy,

Dude, what the fuck's wrong with you?

7. I definetely dont agree with giving him an ultimatum, atleast not right away. If he can afford it and its all just leisure money I dont see the issue with it. But if its severely affecting yalls payments then there is obviously an issue there. In that case, instead of an ultimatum, sit him down and have a long talk with him about howits affecting you, and that its not good for him to use all his money. If he doesnt cut back,. theres not much you can do. You can either stay with him or leave him for it, thats about it

8. Well i can kind of agree with the nacho guuy. But before you decide to break up with him try to sit him down and talk to him. Let it out just like you did on this forum. although weed enhances its not an essential part of having a good time. And if its gettin in the way of your funds than that might be a problem. MAybe give him a chance to shape up then if not, tell em to hit the road

9. suck his dick as an incentive for not smoking weed

10. You should teach him that being sober can equal being high.

That's something alot of people have trouble realizing.

Being stoned all the time, it just makes the high less rewarding.

From his symptoms, I'd say he's a recovering meth smoker, or cig smoker.

11. #11 Fëanor, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
    I'm not sure I see the problem. You smoke for medicinal reasons and you smoke just a little bit. That's fine, it's just not the same amount that he smokes. If the bills are paid and he takes care of what needs to be done, then where is the problem? From what you described, the biggest issue is that you perceive it as waste whereas he probably perceives it as part of his life and part of his entertainment budget.

It sounds like you view him as being immature because he smokes so much. But what if that's just how he is and you're unable to change him the way you want? You are obviously hoping for him to "grow out of it", but if he doesn't will you be able to get past it?

PS - I admit I don't like it when I'm dry but I'm definitely not a big baby to everyone around me, so you should totally call him out for that.

PSS - For the lack of appetite thing...unless he has an eating disorder you should just be happy that you don't have yourself a fatty who gorges themselves all the time :D

12. well...5 bowls a day in MY opinion is not excessive, i generally smoke like 4-5 blunts/joints and several bowlpacks every day. However it probably doesnt cost me the same as you. I can see that being excessive while just purchasing weed though. if you ask me weed should definitley not ever be someones main focal point in life, theres this kid i work with who is like that, and i agree, its not healthy, and i can see the amount of money he wastes on it.

Id say dont attempt to stop him completely, dont give him an ultimatim, especially if you wanna have a future with him, just figure out a budget for the weed and when its gone hes gonna have to occupy time some other way.

13. I know ppl that think it's just CRAZY that I get high everyday. I smoke almost a whole bowl pack sometimes and that's it! Lol the point is that everyone is different. Some stoners smoke 3 or 4 grams a day and some smoke 3 or 4 hits. Like others said if it's not causing problems in the relationship then there is no problem! If it's a money thing then maybe look into getting him a Vape?

14. "Being stoned all the time, it just makes the high less rewarding." coulndt agree more , its a fact . For me this would be a great argument to lower the smoking.

In my opinion have a sincere conversation with him.

15. Being high all the time definitely takes the fun out of weed, but I don't think 5 bowls a day is really that horrendous of a number.. unless he smokes them just doing nothing all day

16. I know we're not supposed to discuss it directly in the forums, but if you know other people that smoke it's so easy to have an excess amount of free weed...

Just sayin'

17. Weed = Happiness

18. Tell him he's not Wiz Khalifa.

19. I could say that I'm like your boyfriend in the same way. What helps me slow down is just working a full-time job, but man, now that things have slowed down at the pizza shop and I'm only taking one class in college I'm finding myself smoking a lot more than I can probably afford lately.