Curling tips

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by sweetbudz, Oct 12, 2012.

1. #1 sweetbudz, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
    Hey guys. I'm into my second successful grow now. First one had it's issues (really didn't prepare the soil, got pests, didn't feed it right and ended up with some serious deficiencies), but I learned a lot in the process. Btw, I've got a single hydro plant that I try to grow with each grow. EVERY TIME, it ends up male. It's bullshit.

Anyway, I'm much happier with the girls I got this time. Right now I'm in my second/third week of flowering. I've been noticing this for, maybe, a week or two; there's some leaf tip curling that seems indicative of a problem. What am I seeing here?

You can see it more in the "full view" of the plants. The close-up is just for ogling.

Attached Files:

2. What are your temps in the room?

3. They bounce between 70 and 83 F or so. Humidity is low... ranges from 30 to 50% or so.

4. downward clawing.. try looking it up cause i cant tell you for certain.

only possibilities i can think of are overwatering, ph problem, or nute-lockout.

5. Id say nitrogen abundance (though pH problems are more likely still)... leaves can also claw caused by pests, so Id check for that.

6. For nutrients, the soil was prepared with lime, ocean forest soil, and some happy frog 5-5-5 all purpose fertilizer. Since their inception, they've been fed one time with the happy frog stuff, following the directions on the bag. I've also added a small amount of 10-52-10 fertilizer a few days ago, but the downward clawing has been there for a week or two.

I do a deep, full watering (until water comes out into the spill tray) every two days. Just did one and collected some water.

I tested the PH of the samples, two are at 6.5, one is at 6.0 and the third is at 7.0. Are those out of range for soil? I'm pretty sure one is supposed to strive for 7.0 for soil...

I don't see any pests... I'll keep an eye out for the next couple of days though.

7. whats PH of water/nutrients BEFORE you water? Deep full watering every two days? that may be too much.

You shouldnt water again until its needed imo.
    if the topsoil still appears moist ffs dont water.
    weight of pot is a good indicator of how much liquid is still be retained.

8. Just a little background - I'm really bad with soil. Didn't have enough money to invest to get all hydro equipment. Last time I grew with soil (Barney's G13-Haze) I just dumped dirt in a pot and top fed it. After a month or two the ph dropped and the plant started to die, but I limed the crap out of it and got it to live through to the end of flowing; buds were very strange though. They were really airy and loose and crumbled when you squeezed them.

Things look a lot better this grow, but I'm still quite an amateur.

I'm using 0 ppm ph neutral water.

I water as much as I do (ends up being about a gallon) because the soil seems dry after about that much time. I'll dig down in a couple days and see if I'm keeping things too wet. Less maintenance=good.

9. Well the ph is high 5.7 is what I think is optimal and you have been over watering from what I'm reading you need to let the plant stretch the roots to look for wAter some times you might have root rot I feed one watering then next time I used fresh water then when it needs more I wait one more day to let it dry out more then go back to the nutes

10. yeah I believe its something like 5.5 for hydro, but for soil its 6.5

11. yea, id aim for 6.3-6.6ish for pH of water/nutes.
    And chill on the watering like they say.
    if need be, wait till you see them start to droop a tad, THEN water.
    over time you should be able to get a feel for proper moisture maintenance.