Curing. What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Teddyburr, Dec 11, 2009.

1. I hung my buds out to dry for 7 days. Outhere in Arizona. I put them in drys and they had this sweet dank smell. It's been curing going on almost 3 weeks and the bud smells like nothing at all. Only if I squeeze it. What should I do?

2. that's normal with curing... when you dry it hanging, it dries outside to inside... when you put it in jars it sweats out the moisture in the core, thereby getting the outer regions closer to the state they were in fresh, hence less smell...
    that's also why you should open your jars regularly and sometimes also switch around the buds' positions, so the moisture disperses regularly.

just leave one of them outside the jar for a couple hours... i'd bet the smell will come back:cool:

3. still no luck. I think I've lost the smell :(

4. Hang loose. ;) The smell will come back and the potency will go up as it cures more

5. it smells litterally like nothing lolzzz

6. Smell schmell.

What counts is the potency.;)

If it works, CONGRATS on your grow.

7. Master Kush is the strain by the way. All my buds are breaking into shake LOL. Does this strain take a long time to cur? Its smokable but it taste like grass straight up lol. Thanks for the help by the way. I'm assuming it'll take atleast a month to see/smell some results

8. you should be able to smell the aroma on the bud and if its turning to shake your bud is too dry already!!!!!!

exactly how did you cure so we can determine the exact cause of problems here?

9. sounds like you let the buds get too dry if they are breaking into shake and are loosing the smell, i like my buds to have a little bit of densyness in the middle and not too dry....too dry will make the buds not as potent.. and do you have the nugs curing in a mason jar?

10. Sounds like you left them out drying too long if they're crumbling into shake. Doesn't Arizona have like 0% humidity or something crazy? Probably needed to leave them out drying less time before moving them to jars to cure.

11. arizona has very low humidity, 7 days was probably too long to leave them hanging in your climate.

Worst case scenario, make hash or hemp oil out of it. You havn't *lost* many of the cannabinoids (unless they were in direct sunlight, in which case yeah you're probably fucked) - just need a more enjoyable way than smoking when it comes to improperly cured weed.

12. you definitely let them dry too long - Arizona for 7 days????

next time you harvest you need to check the stems every day - when you can snap a stem then it's ready to be put in jars

still - it's much better than not drying them enough and finding your jars are full of mould so that's a positive!

13. Would it help to add some mositure to it? i.e. lettuce, orange peel in the jar

14. I just put them in a mason jar after 7 days of drying out here witch I've discovered is too long here in AZ. I opened up the jar once or twice every 2 to 3 days

15. i like to dry and cure in segments rather than drying then curing, this gives you the more smoother smoke and more even drying.

Dry for 18 hours, cure for 8, dry for 16 hours, cure for 4, dry for 12 hours, cure for 2 etc.

Obviously the amount of hours changes depending on your climate.

16. might need something with a little bit more moisture like some potato peelings but you could try fruit peel first

but you'll need to burp the jars a few times a day

17. Yeah man sorry, but if your herb is already crumbing to shake the re-curing boat has sailed.... Make it into hash to salvage what you can

18. you can always remoisture bud...wont be as good but will at least do a little something.....the best ive leant to do with too dry bud is use a wet papertowel and make sure its like damp not too wet like not dripping haha in a mason jar with your buds but not too long, because it can create mold...

19. I out an orange peel in there about 12 hours ago. Checked on it and it restored the moisture quite well. So it wont be as good now?

20. Whats with the impatience? You've been burping every 2-3 days right?