Ctitique my workout routine

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by partyanimal, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Quick back story, I used to work out consistently for like 2 years. Last summer I broke my foot, spent 7 weeks on crutches and could never get back into a consistent routine. Now I'm finally back into it and have made it a regular part of my lifestyle.

So I started working out again 4 weeks ago, I eased into it, 2 or 3 times a week, not going all out because I didnt want to be too sore for work. Now my muscles are getting used to it and I plan on stepping it up starting after this weekend. Back to the same routine I was doing before the injury. 4 times a week, do 1 routine mon/wed and another one tues/thurs. Weekend off to party and have fun. And by the way, I'm 5'11 150 pounds, fast metabolism, I was up a peak of 163 pounds before I stopped.

I usually do 2 warmup sets of light weight of 10 reps and then I do 3 sets of 5 reps for each exercise.

For routine 1 I do my squats and then deadlifts. After Im done those I do a circuit of chinups, then leg press, then again with just my toes for the calf, then rows, and finally situps. Repeat 3 times.

Routine 2 I do my bench press, then a circuit of bicep curls, tricep pulldown rope thing, military press, i think thats the shoulder one, and situps. Repeat 3 times. Sometimes if I have energy left I will do 1 or 2 sets of pushups, where 1 set is I do alternating 1 hand pushups until I cant anymore, then without stopping do regular pushups until I cant anymore.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome. I know all about nutrition and have a physically active lifestyle/job so I dont feel like I need to do any cardio. Im in good shape, my goal is to get bigger/stronger without adding fat. I want to keep my 6 pack lol.

2. You got the big 3 down, which is really what matters most in my opinion. id say try this routine out for a good 6 weeks, make sure youre eating enough etc. Everyones body works differently, but it looks like youve covered the basics :). give it time, this routine should work

3. Not bad at all but I would throw in some hamstring exercises into routine 1

4. #4 As Above So Below, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2012
    Looks pretty good but could be better. You never really said how many sets and reps you do, which matters. Like on your last set of bench you should only be pushing out around 5-6 reps, almost complete muscle failure on the last rep, so a spotter is a must. I always find a random guy to spot me. I usually do around 3-6 sets on bench, keeping it in the range of 4-8, while my warmup set is around 10-15 reps. Try not to focus on isolation exercises like bicep curls. Heavy bench hits your chest and triceps and heavy dumbbell rows hit your back, shoulders and biceps. Keep doing the military press. Also throw in some Incline Bench. It's more functional than just regular bench press. Throw in some squats and dead lifts, which I see you do, and you will gain strength/mass pretty quickly. If you are going for weight/muscle mass stick with the basics (bench,squats,dead lifts, leg press, military press, dumbbell rows). Just remember that your body gets used to things very quickly so change up your routine often. Every few weeks or so. Here's one of the routine I use. Look at the other workouts he has for other body parts.

Bodybuilding.com - Mike O

It's not a matter of quantity, it's about the quality of the work out. I know there's only a few exercises for each body part but if you do it right it trashes your legs/other body part. I have done his workouts a few times, and while there's only 4 exercises there, it really kills you if you go all out. Bring the intensity! Rest about 2 minutes for each set, never resting for more than about 4 minutes.

5. What do you recommend for a hamstring exercise? I dont really want to add a lot more exercises, each workout takes me about 50 minutes and I am completely exhausted after.

And blunt man, I push myself to the limit every time, no holding back on intensity. When I do bench, right now I warm up with 10 reps of 135lb then I do 8 reps of 145lb. And then I do my 3 sets of 5 reps with a random spotter. Usually around 2 to 3min rest in between sets. Right now Im doing 170lb but at my peak before the break I was doing 190lb. Motivation to get back to that point. I add 5 pounds to the bar when I can do 6 reps on my last set. I go all out, the spotter usually helps me a lil with the last rep or 2.

I would like to do incline bench as well, but I dont get how people can do so many sets. My chest is exhausted after my set of bench press, I dont feel like I could even do 3 sets of incline after. And if I did it would be with like half the weight.

6. I feel you man but it's good to work all your leg muscles and not one particular. Sure squats hit majority of your leg but it's mainly quad and glutes. Look up Romanian deadlift or stiff leg dead lift or even hammy curls on the machine.