Crows

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Towelie Towel, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Hey, I'm doing outdoor grows at the moment. Had a young one going last week and a fuckin crow came down and tore it right out the pot.
    Just wondering if anyone else has been having problems like this.
    I've been dealing with the usual annoyances of nature but never expected a crow to kill my bud.

I'm in the process of securing my garden.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. 12 Ga BB gun

• Like Like x 1
  3. crows are jerks

• Like Like x 1
  4. check you local police ain't training 'em

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Never seen a crow do that. They are hungry af. Saw one eating dog the other day. Fucking neighbors don't pick it up

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. When I first started out I had that problem. They live in the neighbors big tree that blocks most of my sunlight.
    I don't have a pet Falcon, so I went all medieval on their asses. I bought a $3 pack of wooden skewers and stuck spikes all around the plant. Problem solved. But they've been retaliating ever since by shitting on my car. I think they're busing other crows in from out of town for this. I don't even have the motivation to wash the damn thing anymore. I just drive around in a birdshit covered Cadillac. I squeegee water on the windshield when I gas up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Hi.
    Crows apparently like to use "tools" to secure food or anything else that interests them.
    You could try a peace offering of some shiny aluminum chopsticks, maybe enough for 3/4 the amount of birds hanging around.
    Just a thought?
    Well maybe not, they'll probably tell all their friends and you'd end some kind of fucked up aviary airport.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I have a squirrel that shows up in my yard every morning and eats my veggies. I put a chicken wire cage around my planters and done deal. Sits about 6 feet high. Pretty sure a crow couldn't fit through that stuff. Seriously thinking about doing that to my weed, but so far the squirrel doesn't show any interest in it.
    There is also the factor of extreme heat. I don't know where you live, but I live where it gets HOT! The heat reflected off the cage may be too much for the plant, but I'd risk it to keep a critter from getting my shit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Buy yourself a plastic hawk to set on a branch close to your plant, should keep him away, thinking he might be food himself. Alot of people use owls to keep certain predators away. You might be able to get something like that at tractor supply and a feed store or something.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Crows near my house chase hawks away but they love gifts lol. Small shiny objects ect . Like stated above . Make friends with them .. my gf does lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Plastic or Plaster Owls are popular at the Marina to keep the Seagulls off the boats and buildings.
    Pigeon Spikes are another fix I see a lot..
    upload_2021-3-26_8-42-54.jpeg

BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Woman across the street feeds the Crows. She leaves an assortment of "Shiny" things for them too.
    Then there is this.
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Then there is the story of the one in canada who stole a knife wanted in a murder .Vancouver's Infamous Knife-Wielding Crow Is Now A Father

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thats weird I never heard of a bird grabbing a baby pot plant before..

A neighbor of mine had around a dozen fruit trees on his property, he was very proud of his fruit, and rightfully so....best pomegranates I ever had. Anyway, he shared a trick he used with me to deter birds from eating too much fruit. He would hang CDs from various branches dotted around the yard. The CDs reflect the light at random when they spin around, which can obscure a bird's vision, and when that happens they won't land. I never used the trick though, because I want as many birds as possible for pest control.
    Heres something I do that may help.. I start my seeds outside as well, and when they're babies I cover them with mosquito netting, no bird problems. Works good for acclimating plants from shade to full sun (hardening off), and keeps out pests too.