Crossroads in life

Discussion in 'General' started by stevennomad, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Well to start out I am an 18 year old high school student about to graduate in June. I have been accepted to a couple good schools for next fall but lately I've been asking myself what I want to do with my life. I have been having thoughts about abandoning the college experience all together.

Instead of college I've been thinking about traveling the country, looking for somewhere to get a footing on a new life. Maybe head down south then west and eventually up to Canada. I know that going to college would be the safe bet and help me set up my life for the long-distance future but I don't feel I would be happy going to school for another four years. I'm not saying that I dislike school but I feel that I am ready to go out into the world and make it on my own. Ever since I was little I wanted to travel the country and explore the true beauty of it.Also, I don't want to come out of college in four years with a degree in something that is a safe bet but I don't have an interest or passion for. Another problem I see with college would be the insane amount of debt I would accumulate over the four years. I don't want to start my adult life owing thousands upon thousands of dollars for classes that are just a requirement and have no real value in my life. The more I think about it the more I lean towards traveling the country.

I love hiking and would try to see as many of our countries natural beauties as I could. I am not talking about traveling for a year before I start anew somewhere I feel comfortable. I could see this journey lasting years before I finally have settled down to life permanently somewhere. I have always envisioned my perfect life living out in the woods in a reclusive house growing my own marijuana plants and just having a peaceful life without any distractions. I honestly don't know what to do right now and I can't take my mind of it because it is something that will decide my future and how the rest of my life goes. I guess what I'm trying to ask from you blades is what advice can you give me/what would you do?

2. IMO, i say go to college. who knows it might be one of the best experiences in your life...if you worry about debt, get a job and maybe go to a community college to take your GE classes to save some money. then transfer to one of the colleges you want to go to. after college, get a better job that pays decent and save some money for this trip because it will cost quite a bit....

have you ever considered joining the navy? i've heard they get to travel all over the world while on the job. you wouldn't have to go to college, but this probably takes a lot of training and hard work. plus they will help pay for your education after if you want to go to college.

3. thats how i felt and still feel. college is fun but after 12-13 years of going to school almost all year it would be fun to take a break. if ur willing to go back to school after a year off then i say go for it and have some fun.

4. college is fuckin awesome man, travel and grow weed after college. a lot of ppl major in things that are completely different than what their occupation ends up being. and go to a state/public school and get financial aid if you're worried about debt.