Cricket Poop Test

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by BugGuy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Hi,

I operate a cricket farm which produces a large amount of cricket manure. The mix consists of unused feed and manure in varying ratios. I have several methods for separating the feed and manure during and after my production runs, but before I focus on any separation methods, I'm interested in getting feedback from some of the growers out there.

I would appreciate any anecdotal information from those of you who may have experience using cricket manure. I am also interested in getting some samples out to a few growers that could help do some small scale testing. As for the testing, I would prefer that the grower have enough volume to create control groups so that the test results are as accurate as possible. The primary objective of the testing would be to explore the pros/cons of different feed/manure ratios. All manure/feed samples will be placed in a freezer for at least one week to reduce the chances of any insect contamination. My goal is to create a consistent product that will provide reliable results for growers. I look forwarding to hearing from you all.

Thanks,
    BugGuy

2. What does the feed consist of?

3. Mostly ground corn, rice hulls, and fish meal.

4. Send me some ill make a new notill with it and tell ya how it does! Sound like it would be good stuff.

5. The corn will sour if buried or mixed into the soil. I use Laying mash for worm feed and can atterst to that.

Rice hulls and fish meal are commonly added to soil mixes, so, no problem there, but the corn could be.

How do the crickets like it? My worms totally consume the laying mash within days and many times it's totally gone the next day if it's warm and the microbes are kicking. They don't "eat" anything (no jaws or teeth), but slurp up the bacterial slime as it's broken down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Instead of separating unused feed and manure, this should be run thru a worm bin as is. It would work really great! Then used as is vermicompost. Nothing would have to done afterward except fluff it up a little, and use as is. @wetdog was waiting for me to say this :) I just know it.
    cheers
    os

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hee Hee! I was thinking the exact same thing.
    cheers

• Like Like x 1
  8. I think the fact that bits of cricket and dead cricket will end up in that manure makes it better.

Cricket farm must be a nightmare, I worked at a place with a small farm and it stunk to high heaven. Evil cannibal little buggers

As Above So Below

• Like Like x 1
  9. Great chitin source but likely too expensive for my blood. I have (16) 500g beds in two rooms if you want to try a side by side.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I wonder if crickets like to eat kelp meal, that might improve the quality of their poop, and you wouldn't have to separate the kelp from it,