Creating a program in Java

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by tranced22, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Alright, so I've been learning Java in some of my Computer Science classes and will likely need it in future classes. So I would like to do some practice on my own to get kind of just familiarize myself better with Java. I'm looking for either a good program/compiler to use(I'm currently using BlueJ in for my class not sure if how good that is for creating big programs though) And also any guides or suggestions on types of programs to start with. (I'm thinking of like actual applications that you can run on windows-would be nice if it ran on ubuntu too :) )

Thanks for the input :smoke: !

2. Hey man, I study informatics in Trondheim. We started out using TextPad and the basic Java compiler off the Sun website (I believe it's called the Java Development Kit). This is almost as basic as you can get.

Currently using a program called "Eclipse", it's a little more complex but also has a ton of great programming tools and is very customizable.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for ^^

3. Hmmm, well sort of, not completely but sort of. I know that BlueJ uses the JDK(i think the newest or one of the newer versions), and that as a code editor and a bunch of stuff like that, but I also have Vim that I use for a text editor mainly because I heard it was a lot lighter than eclipse, i heard that can be a pretty bulky program. One of the main things I'm looking for though I think is some type of guide or just some guidance as to what type of program would be good, I'm thinking maybe like a text editor or maybe like file browser program... orrr idk lol something that wouldn't be too hard conceptually to be able to create but that will take me longer than like an afternoon to finish haha

4. I'm not a fan of BlueJ. I personally use Eclipse just because I user various features on it. If you understand BlueJ and it does everything you need then stick with that. In the mean time have a look through this page Eclipse Platform Technical Overview

Or another page that explains the features a little more simply.

Other then that I use Notepad++ but Vim is just as good as for most things.

5. i use netbeans; i'd start off by getting familiar with i/o routines, class hierarchy, variable scoping, and conditionals/loops. designing a simple game can be a great place to start. (i.e.. connect4, how would you break the game logic down into functions/data structures?)

here's a pretty good guide:

Trail: Learning the Java Language (The Java™ Tutorials)

i've been designing web apps with java.. pretty cool stuff.