Crazy_party_cup_grow

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tokeymctokems, May 27, 2010.

1. post to follow

2. Hey all so I was starting a NL grow but i had some problems with some shitty starting soil - I think i am going to do a party cup grow - here is the set up.

400W MH/HPS system - digital switchable ballast so i can run either Metal Halide or HPS I also have some 100w CFL's 5000k

3'X3'X6' Mylar grow tent

Ventilation - 2 100CFM inline fans linked pulling through a carbon filter - venting into attic.

Soil - organic miracle grow and perlite in a 3-1 ratio. - I will probably be covering the soil with a layer of sand due to a gnat problem and to cut down on watering needed.

Nutrients - Full line of Fox Farm nutes and solubles.

Containers - 16 oz party cups

I would be open to putting them in bigger pots if i have room after weeding out the males but i really just want to grow as many as possible so if i screw some up i am still good

I have a TON of seeds from many many bags o weed - i was thinking of starting 50 seedlings - I figure if I don't top and get about 20 - 25 females i could spread them out enough for them to get at least some good top cola light. And if my math is right I should be able to stick thirty six, 6" pots in a 3x3 room when I weed out the males and since they would be in party cups or small pots they wouldn't get very bushy.

This is personal medical use only so i don't need to get more than 1/4 of an oz from each of the 20 females to get me through each grow.

Light schedule - This is my first question - since I want to do a lot of plants and i want the quickest finish should i start at 12-12? I figure that should keep them smaller so i can grow more - but i also know that every plant has a veg cycle regardless of starting light schedule - so would it be better to start at 24 hr light or some other schedule -and then when should i switch?

Lights - I have MH and HPS - I was thinking that i would use the MH until 2 weeks after sex first shows then switching to HPS. Anybody have a different suggestion? And please give reasoning ( I like to understand and not just know :D )

Number of plants - This may be the most important - I really just want to grow a crazy amount of plants it sounds like fun. But i don't want to waste my time on something that just wont work - So given that i am growing bag seed how many plants should i start (I will toss all males to give me more room.).

Posting pic's of my set up. (those pots are gone and i can hang my ballast and fan for more ground room)

Attached Files:

3. i have 0 answers im sorry man, but i have a question, maybe i missed im haha im high, how old are those in the pic when they were still in the pots do you know? Im on my first grow....i got a ginnea pig sprout in a super ghetto setup right now and its almost 2 weeks from seed...and it looks pretty pathetic hahahahah, just trying to compare ages and where i should be going

4. Those are about 3 weeks old in that picture, Only one of them is still alive today and still not much bigger than that - had some real issues with that grow - that potting soil had NO nutes in it and gave my girls nute def at 1 1/2 weeks old. That is why i am going to start this new grow i just need to get some bud done for personal use :D

5. ^^ yea im starting my own medical grow...dispensaries are getting out of control with the prices now. I put that seed in unknown soil, with some bottled water and poof a sprout came and i got excited, then....pretty much nothing has happened. it opened up and it has those 2....whatever they are and then the 2 leaves are super ultra tiny just forming in the center of those 2 whatever they are's...cyleots or whatever hahahahahahha

EDIT: this was before i had a light for it too...then i had just 2 unknown cfl's in regular lamps...like with shades but i removed the shades and put the lamps as close as i could, yesterday i found a lamp i can clamp to the shelf and hang directly above the sprout so its about 2 inches above it now... im having SERIOUS issues with the watering...its like sometimes i put water, and its fucking dry a few hours later, then i add the same amount, and its fucking soaked for so long.....

6. WOW dude that water issue is weird - Well as far as the watering goes, after the plants get a few leaves on them i would put a layer of sand on top of the soil about an inch thick. This will not only cut down on the amount of watering you have to do but it will also keep gnats away :D

7. hahahaha this is true.... i also, probably should have just grabbed soil of of this grocery bag by a garder that i was by.... for all i know some raid ended up in there haha, like i said ginnea pig....im going to this flower/grow place by my work today to grab me some fox farm soil and liquid nutes hahahahah then hopefully i can get this shit going for real

8. Yeah as long as you are experimenting anything goes i guess - that's why i want to do this as a huge party cup grow - it sounds just plain fucking fun. :D

9. haha, a nice little sea of green

10. Anyway - i really need some questions answered so anybody who could chime in on any of these that would be great!

Light schedule - This is my first question - since I want to do a lot of plants and i want the quickest finish should i start at 12-12? I figure that should keep them smaller so i can grow more - but i also know that every plant has a veg cycle regardless of starting light schedule - so would it be better to start at 24 hr light or some other schedule -and then when should i switch?

Lights - I have MH and HPS - I was thinking that i would use the MH until 2 weeks after sex first shows then switching to HPS. Anybody have a different suggestion? And please give reasoning ( I like to understand and not just know :D )

Number of plants - This may be the most important - I really just want to grow a crazy amount of plants it sounds like fun. But i don't want to waste my time on something that just wont work - So given that i am growing bag seed how many plants should i start (I will toss all males to give me more room.).

11. dont quote me haha, but ive seen grow guides saying a good 24 hr's of light for 4-6 weeks of veg is legit, but i dunno how that would fuction for keeping them short..... are you thinking of doing some sort of LST to keep them short....

12. I thought about the LST - vertical space is not the issue its side space so i was thinking no LST or topping I really want to sex these as soon as possible and keep grow time short as i can - and if starting 12/12 is the best way to go i want to do that - i need to weed out the males before the plants are too bushy and start fighting each other too much for light.