Cow pie question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by RenaissanceBrah, Jun 25, 2020.

1. With cow and horse manure, if we'd like to use that for our no-till soil mix... how long do you have to let it sit outside in the sun to cure?

For my indoor grow outside the U.S., where I can't get Bu's Blend (or many other ingredients), I found some organic farms with plenty or horse and cow manure, but it's all pretty fresh.
    Was hoping to be able to create some no-till soil using that, since Bu's Blend isn't an option.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Horse manure is the best. I don't like bringing outside materials inside. That said, there are two ways to make horse manure usable.

1. leave it out in the sun in a pile for a year.

2. bury it for two months.

• Like Like x 2
  3. #3 old shol4evr, Jun 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 3
  4. I used to have horses so plenty of manure available then. They say you need to let it 'burn' in a compost pile for week/months depending on your climate. But I've always used fresh manure, it does not matter whether it is moist or dry, you just need to be careful with the amounts you are using. I usually mix some of it in the soil and also water with it, I put some manure in a bucket of water and let is sit overnight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fwiw, I used to crumble dry cow patties in with bagged soil. I don't remember having any problems, but that was 25+ years ago and my memory is a little hazey lol. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  6. I like cow manure. I try to find 2-3 year old manure. Just my 2cents. 20200621_181952.jpg
    6/21. Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thanks Pope, 2 solid options. Maybe I can bury it somewhere for 2 months and then bring it in. It's for an apartment grow and we have limited space, couldn't do either above, but maybe I can figure something out actually.

8. Yup I heard about people using it as fuel, nature is lit.

How come you rubbed it on your clothes when you went hunting though?

9. Thanks Spain. I guess I can experiment, in the end, experience is the best teacher.

Btw, you from Spain? I used to live there for a while, best country I think I lived in, back in 2010. Think about moving back all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. My family friends use cow patties for their tomato garden. Here in SoCal we got some mountains outside the city where cows graze at like 5000 feet, virgin soil with not much people around anywhere... I need to go cowpie picking one of these days and sprinkle onto my current grow. My family friends would swear by it for their garden.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks, I read through the article and that is a solid, straightforward, explanation.

Wish I had a 1 x 1 x 1.5m space in my apartment, would hot compost it, but it's good for future reference, will definitely try it when I get the chance.

12. The places I been going, no one pays attention to how long the cow manure been baking in the sun. So I'm never sure about the age.

In the US, is it common for people to keep track of how long the manure been aging?

13. I found a guy with horses and he had a monster sized pile of manure where, he would add to it whenever the horse stalls were cleaned, he said that the far side of the pile was at least 3 years old. That’s where my truck load came from. I think when your doing hot compost the age shouldn’t be an issue.
    Very common to track the age of piles @jerry111165 Can weigh in on this fact

• Like Like x 1
  14. Third option is you can make manure tea with it. That is also the best way to make a little go a long way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. #16 old shol4evr, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    delete

• Like Like x 1
  16. I live in Spain now, but I am not Spanish. I am a Wicked Witch of the North :)
    I really like living in Spain, my health has improved a lot, one of the factors being that I can medicate with MJ here.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Nice man! What city, if it's ok to ask? Was gonna send you a PM, but can't figure it out on this forum.

Yea when I lived in Barcelona I kind of had the thought... man when I die, I hope heaven is kinda like Spain... it's a really cool place. Cheap, food is amazing and healthy, people are nice... it's got a lot going for it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Btw, what do you guys think about using rabbit manure?

I could easily keep one in my apartment... would take a while to get the 20-33 gallons of compost manure I'd need though for the soil I'd want to build though.

19. Not that far from Barcelona, on Costa Blanca. You can send pm's here by opening someone's profile by clicking their nick under their pic. I hope I can live here for the rest of my life.
    The red tape is giving a bit of a head ache. I've tried to become a tax paying citizen here since October and finally made it. Finally got them to understand that I want to pay my taxes here, not in my native country. Found out the amount for year 2019 yesterday and the tax is due today! And naturally, this being Spain, they don't give you a bank account number and a reference to pay it from your online bank, but you have to print the form and go to your bank to pay it in person. Silly.

• Like Like x 2