Counting Things

Discussion in 'General' started by SpiritualPlum, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Am I the only one that counts almost everything? I count how long I piss, I count stairs, I count drinks of water,i count my blinker, etc. I count everything, and it's always with a weird system. I hate prime numbers, but when I count things I always end on a prime, ex: I normally piss 13 or 17 or maybe 41 seconds. I take 7, 11, 13, 17, or 19 sips of water depending how thirsty I am.

Do any other blades do this?

2. I can't count anymore i forget how numbers work

3. Numbers don't even mean anything. Just units humans invented, which could be vastly different. Imagine if we had like 8, 4, 3, and 47 as our entire number system? why 60 seconds in a minute, and minutes in an hour. Why 5280 feet in a mile? Who decided what's a foot, inch, or meter?

On a more related note, I can also tell you how many stairs there are at almost any place i've been. Today I caught myself counting screws as I was painting them at work. 2817 screws, again a prime number

4. sounds like OCD to me

5. Can't say that I do. However I do start counting very visibly on my fingers when a public speaker says umm a lot. It's funny.

6. Smells like therapy in here.

7. It never interferes with anything, I just count in my head and then forget about ir (except the stairs. saw 817 semis on a roadtrip today, also a prime number).

That therapy comment has me worried

8. Numbers DO have meaning.If you have 2 of something thats important. Calling thats "two" is the part that is insignificant.

There are 5280 feet in a mile because we need a way to understand distance.

I think what you are talking about is Time doesn't mean anything, but I don't exactly agree with that either. Sure, 60 seconds in a minute is pretty arbitrary, and I tend to think that time is always "moving forward" (whatever that means), but I like to let my creativity wander and maybe there's more to "space and time" than we can understand.

9. Well i always have to have a condom on when i go skydiving. So yea i feel yea.

10. #10 SpiritualPlum, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I suppose the verbal names are arbitrary, whereas the numerical values are still important :smoke: I swear I read somewhere that people who are inherently smarter tend to count things.

11. #11 SpiritualPlum, Aug 20, 2011
    you sheisty badger, you!

12. ocd ocd ocd

13. The concept of numbers is one of the most fascinating phenomenons in the universe. Just saying.

14. Yes whenever I walk and switch from tile to carpet or shadow to light, it has to be an even number. But then after a week I get tired of it and forget all about it.

15. This reminds me of the movie "Pi"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ1sZSCz47w]Pi movie trailer - YouTube[/ame]

16. #16 SpiritualPlum, Aug 20, 2011
    This is something I would do, but I would try to land on a prime number right before it switches surfaces.

17. #17 SpiritualPlum, Aug 20, 2011
    Amen to that, just thinking about the phenomena most people take for granted... Well it mindfucks me