could someone with seed/hermie experience please help me please?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by GypsyNapps, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright, so last season I had 8 GDP clones. Also some of my roommates got some puppies at the same time and they were constantly harassing them, but the mamas were just too resilient and still grew to be massive bushes that yielded 2 lbs min per plant. I ended up with about 20 seeds that developed from my clones and I'm suspecting its because they were stressed out and mabey one or two went Hermie? I'm not sure really how I ended up with such good weed and a random seed here and there.. The most important thing that I need help with is, whether or not said seeds would be feminized and if so what exactly does that mean? I have 10 seedlings from the seeds collected from the potentially stressed out clones. And I'm worried about them being hermies basically. Help pweeze

2. grow and find out...keep a watchful eye on them once they show signs of sex and flower

3. You got any neighbors who grow?

4. If a strain has a gene of hermies it will do it, I have a few that will do that but others never have, if you use those seeds that came from that plant, it will have the tendency to do it again, keep looking for a seed that is more pure then go with that

5. They will be female seeds .
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

How so?

7. Female seeds can't be made without making a hermi plant. Without male parts its just bud. As long as most of it was female your fine.

8. To the plant the bud is used to protect the seeds from being crushed and the thc is to stop animals from eating it.

9. Wow sorry can't edit. Without male parts to fuck the female parts the protection dosnt have anything to protect.

10. Anyways I'm not sure how but for some reason making a female hermi makes female seeds around 70-99 percent.

11. #11 patriofarmer, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
    I'm heading out right now, but I'd like to respond in detail later tonight.  Sounds as if your a bit confused about feminized seeds. 
    \nAlso this possibility.
    \n 

And if this gentleman should chime in in the mean time, listen to him

12. you can purposely 'stress' a female with colloidal silver spray, but when you do this it turns the specifically sprayed part of the plant calyxes male-ize and produce pollen male buds. but this stress is not the same as a hermie stressed by environmental conditions. A hermie stress like continuous extreme heat or lack of water can turn parts of a female to change sex. This stress is most noticeable in top 1/3 of the plant during flowering. femxfem seed crosses by hermie are unstable compared to fem x fem caused by collodial spray as the spray begins to change sex at the beginning of flower and controls hormone balance of sex change while stress by 'hermifying' in middle or end of flower is not hormone controlled nor given proper time. You can still plant and use your hermie seeds, but over generations if you continue to cross or clone you'll see a degradation of product and consistency of genetic ability to withstand stresses.

13. #13 patriofarmer, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

The bud is used to produce the seed.  The trichomes are an evolutionary tool that their are several theories on, although I'm not sure how important thc content plays in to that.  Man's intervention is the reason thc content is higher, not the plant evolving, or protecting itself.  I imaging the stickiness of the buds would deter say a bird from landing on the plant and munching the seed.  And in turn maybe stick to the bird helping spread the seeds.  Plants depend on other life to help them spread.  Not really sure what this has to do with anything, but since dude above me covered the feminization process figured what the hell.

Read the above post concerning feminized seeds.  Although they are the progeny of the hermaphrodite process, they aren't the same, as described in the post.  A hermi from environmental stress such as temp, light, or lack of water as noted by wwpk will produce a percentage of female seeds, and a percentage of hermi seeds.  A properly feminized seed (if there is such a thing, ignore this joke dude) will  produce 99% female seeds. 

OP I'd consider these 2 posts.  Although it's been 6 months since this thread started.

14. old wives tale! have had seeds from females and had nothing but trouble. I don't ever trust those seeds.

15. [quote name="patriofarmer" post="18462292" timestamp="1375688932"]The bud is used to produce the seed. The trichomes are an evolutionary tool that their are several theories on, although I'm not sure how important thc content plays in to that. Man's intervention is the reason thc content is higher, not the plant evolving, or protecting itself. I imaging the stickiness of the buds would deter say a bird from landing on the plant and munching the seed. And in turn maybe stick to the bird helping spread the seeds. Plants depend on other life to help them spread. Not really sure what this has to do with anything, but since dude above me covered the feminization process figured what the hell.

Read the above post concerning feminized seeds. Although they are the progeny of the hermaphrodite process, they aren't the same, as described in the post. A hermi from environmental stress such as temp, light, or lack of water as noted by wwpk will produce a percentage of female seeds, and a percentage of hermi seeds. A properly feminized seed (if there is such a thing, ignore this joke dude) will produce 99% female seeds.

OP I'd consider these 2 posts. Although it's been 6 months since this thread started.[/quote
    Oh thanks for info I always thought thc was to protect because a lot of animals don't like the high.

16. I have grown the same female for 3 years via cloning
    Sometimes the odd one had the odd seed or two, I have collected 24 seeds over 3 years
    I had to stop the cycle ''big mistake''
    I have propagated the 24 seeds, 20 made it to soil and look like the original
    So far 11 of the largest have grown balls while still under 20 hour light
    I really hope I can save the girl, really hope
    Good luck, try, try & try again

17. If your GDP did fertilize itself, they would most likely be female. Due to the fact that it was identical genetics. However, they may not be very stable, and stressing could easily turn them into hermies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Assuming that all 8 clones were from the same mother plant..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Please read all the posts in this thread.  This has all been covered.

They all will contain hermaphroditic traits, since they are the offspring of hermaphrodites. 

If a plant fertilizes itself there is only one conclusion.  The only exception being sex reversal using colloidal silver, something I'm sure was not a factor in the OP's grow, nor yours.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.