Could anyone reccommend me a good book?

Discussion in 'General' started by InferiorZone, Feb 11, 2009.

1. the autobiography of malcolm x

2. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

3. the repairman jack series by F Paul Wilson..

its a book about a nondescript handyman who takes on any job that is considered seedy, criminal, or violent..

he has no special powers or anything per se..there is a huge conspiracy against him throughout the series..he is just a really awseome self trained badass...

for example in one book..Crossfire..he is hired by a mother who's child has fallen in with a Scientology like cult..what starts out as a snatch and grab mission turns into repairman jack bringing down the biggest religion since christianity...

its quite fun

also try anything by Hunter S Thompson..or Chuck Palinchuck

of course you can never ever go wrong reading the Lord of the Rings series,, any one of the 18 books out there

4. #24 Mortikai, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
    I can't get enough fantasy books. Like one other guy said Terry Brooks is pretty good.

Also:
    David Farland (Runelords -> Great)
    Steven Erikson (reading these now, they're great)
    R.A Salvatore (Drizzt Do`Urden, need I say more?)

I'll try and think of more series that I've read. I've read so many they kinda run together and I forget who wrote what >.<

*Edit. Robert Jordan (Wheel of Time series, pretty long, I think 12 books, kinda bogged me down around 10 or 11 but they were still pretty good)
    Terry Goodkind (I never got to finish this long series, but these books were some of my favorites.)

5. Just finished reading The Hell's Angels by Hunter S Thompson.

Fantastic book.

6. now ive never been a big fan of books or reading but right now im actually reading two books which im loving. Apt pupil by Stephen King and the Amityville Horror by Jay Anson. Highly recommend both of them especially Apt Pupil.

7. Boo yah! LOTR trilogy is great. So's The Silmarillion, and of course The Hobbit

8. im a fan of the unfinished tales...the turin turambar chapter had me enthralled..wow talk about moving literature...powerful dark lords, like melkor...tormented parents, badass human, incest, elf-friends...need I say more...

plus the fucking black sword of nargonthrond.....

yea r.a salvatore is a great author..but the whole forgotten realms series is amazing..im a fan of the spider queen wars 1-6...and the tales of the lady pentient ...i.e. hallistra melarn and her brother Q'arylnd...that dude is badass

9. they have a comic book version of the government 9/11 information. also my favorite book for when i used to be a heavy smoker was numerati

10. #30 JuanRing, Feb 12, 2009

Ahhh the unfinished tales, probably the only LOTR literature i HAVENT read.

I need to find a copy and get me some good reading.

Anything about the numenoreans and how they were vanquished by Illuvatar?

11. oh yes..about 100 pages of it...talks about the second age..detailing numenor and its geography as only tolkien can....

talks about how sauron was brought to the island and his corruption of ar-phzaron the golden..the cocky son of a bitch who thought he could set foot upon the undying lands of the valar...

illuvitar fucked them up man

12. Pretty much anything by Charlie Houston. They're very fast-paced (You won't have to trudge through three pages of descriptions on a forest or a house like you would with a Stephen King or Tolken book) and they all have some very memorable characters. Check out his book Six Bad Things, it's amazing and I have yet to meet someone that has read it and didn't like it.

13. #33 JuanRing, Feb 12, 2009

ah yeah.

I also read something in one of the books about melkor being imprisoned, but feigning repentance and being released, then destroying a tree that was apparently very important to the elves.

I'll have to read the entire book so i know the actual names of these things.

14. yep..

(spoiler''s dont read this bitch if you dont want it ruined (but since you know what happens afterward how can it really be a spoliler...its not like the elves are destroyed and melkor asenceds beyond illuvitar)

melkor is imprisoned right around when the elves wake up in cunivien..he is realeaed and sees the eleves sitting at the right hand of the valar and is jealous..and one special elf named feanor creates great jewels called the simarils...the simarils are jewels so bright, they are still only reflections of the great twin trees created by yavanna..these trees give light to a sunless world filled with twilight..

eventually..people figure out melkor's game and enlists a great spider queen ungoliant( mother of shelob)...to destroy the two trees and steal the simarils from feanor...

he does this..and eventually the elves get pissed..go mad and swear vengance against melkor...they even kill their own breatheren elves who step in their way..earning the wrath of the valar

thus the first age begins, and the great tales of the elves begin as well

15. Nice. Yeah i knew about Feanor and the Silmarils.

Wasn`t there also a famous elf who gave Gandalf a ring of power.

16. Anything by Neil Gaiman bro. Try American Gods; Neverwhere; The Graveyard something (can't remember but it's something to do with a graveyard...amazing story); Smoke and Mirrors...well anything by him. Please man, you'll thank me later

17. One of my alltime favorites was the book

"House of Leaves" By Mark Z. Danielewski.

Its a really good book that will keep you pretty interested throughout.

18. yea..that was cirdan the grey elf...one of the oldest of all the elves..he originally woke in cuniven (meaning he was never actually born)

the original bearers of the three rings of power were gilgalad(which was given to elrond after his death) galadriel, and cirdan

when gandalf and the other istari like saurman and pallandano arrived..cirdan gave the ring to him saying he needed it more than he did, in order to "enflame the desires and passions of those who shall resist the darkness."

19. For an entirely unbiased look on the world surrounding teens,
    [​IMG]

Alright, seriously though....
    Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Really good book, but might take a little too long to read.