Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coughing Up Black Stuff?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SamsonNite, Jul 7, 2014.

1. So recently I've been coughing up black stuff in with my mucous. Its usually when I first wake up in the mornings, when the shower steam helps open my airways.

Now I don't smoke cigarettes or smoke any other substances besides weed. I only smoke out of a bong that has an ash catcher, if that makes much of a difference. I used to smoke blunts as my main method of smoking but I gave that up cause they're too expensive and whatnot.

Anyone else cough up stuff? I know my brother does, he's been smoking longer than I have, but he also smokes cigs occasionally. I'm not tragically concerned over this , more or less curious to know if this shit happens to anyone else

2. #2 Rootsphere_Farms, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
    This is what made me quit smoking and make the switch to vaporizing/concentrates forever. I too would cough up black tar every once in awhile, once every day most of the time after I was smoking for about 6 months this started to occur, I stopped shortly after and have reduced my smoke intake by 90% and have switched to vaping/concentrates and can't go back. The tar is harmless, but it is caused by smoking weed, and lucky the body is able to expel it unlike cigarette smoke.

Most people will say they never cough up black shit, they either don't smoke that much or don't have as good as lungs as us, be lucky we are able to expel it! 

Because seriously, the amount of tar I was coughing up was a large amount, for people that don't cough it up got it all stuck in their lungs hahahah

PS once you make the switch you can never go back, if I take a bong rip now it tastes like shit, id much rather vape

3. Happened to me after heavy long periods of dabbing but idk why, it's never happened with flower. My assumption was that I smoked a bad batch or two, someone maybe don't purge their shit right. That's why I gave up on ever buying homemade dabs unless I know the person and trust their running abilities. I've seen a lot of friends smoke some sketchy looking oil from do it your selfers. Nooooo bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscit

4. It's normal to cough up some dark stuff if you're a regular smoker. That's the lungs expelling the gunk. The difference between weed and cigarettes in this case is that the cigarette gunk stays there and does not like being expelled. Weed opens the airways while cigarettes close them. Happens every day for me, that's after smoking daily for around 2 1/2 years. 

If you just google it you can see it's pretty normal, here's one example.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/apprentice-tokers/982395-do-you-cough-up-tarbrown-black-sputum-method-smoking.html

5. yeah deffinetley spitting up mucus and darkened shit is normal if you smoke a lot. harsher hits = harsher spits