Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Coughing up black stuff?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by SammySess, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

So ive had to move out and start work... which means no erb for a month or two...

Its day 3 now with no bud and ive realized... ive been coughing up this black stuff in my phlegm? Sounds nasty but what the hell is it? Should i see a doc?

I toked from glass pieces daily, about twice a day minimum lol

Thoughts? :confused: :D

2. if your not smoking and its starting i doubt its weed related, sometimes id cough up brownish stuff if i smoke to many blunts in a week. but NEVER from glass

You may have walking pneumonia or the stage before it

3. i had the same thing when i quit for a few days, there shouldn't be much of it and it's not a problem, just give it a few days maybe a week max and you'll be good

4. shit I've been a cigarette smoker and a daily weed smoker for years and I've never coughed up anything but regular yellowish phlegm. I do know people who have coughed up black stuff before, but all of them are or were cigarette smokers so idk
    doesn't seem like weed would do something like that, none of the weed only smokers I know have reported that happening to them

5. #5 hurb1, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
    Its called tar. When you cease smoking the cilia in your lungs which were paralyzed from smoking regularly begin to stand back up and function again; working to expel the tar thats been collecting in your lungs from smoking. Drinking a lot of water, deep breathing, or cardio will bring up more of that stuff. Its good to get it out.

6. sounds like you coughed up some tar you need to layd own on the blunts bro lol

7. If you smoked out of a dry glass piece w/o a screen maybe you inhaled some ash?

if not Id just see a doc to be safe. Actually only if it keeps happening after a few days/weeks

8. Sup guys, Dont mean to take over your thread or anything, but I've been smoking for a few years now (waterpipes) And I always cough up tar, after a couple of hits, everytime im smoking everyday, Would mixing tobacco with my weed cause this?

9. Yes tobacco also contains tar and much much nastier resin in the mix. So youre just compounding this issue with the addition of tobacco.

10. i coughed up black shit and i havent touched anything tobacco :hide:

11. Cheers for your input bro, Gonna have to try not use as much :smoke:

12. #12 TokinUp, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2012
    Thats normal to cough up tar when you smoke.weed lets you get all that shit up.ppl that smoke cigarettes might not cough it up because the cigarettes trap mucus and tar in youre lungs which is really bad for you

13. [quote name='"hurb1"']Its called tar. When you cease smoking the cilia in your lungs which were paralyzed from smoking regularly begin to stand back up and function again; working to expel the tar thats been collecting in your lungs from smoking. Drinking a lot of water, deep breathing, or cardio will bring up more of that stuff. Its good to get it out.[/quote]

^this, was just about to post the same thing

14. [quote name='"LucidVisuals"']

Cheers for your input bro, Gonna have to try not use as much :smoke:[/quote]

If your rolling spliffs the correct way to do it is 75% weed 25% tobacco. You only want enough to make it burn straight/slow. If u can taste it or feel it in your lungs you put too much

15. [quote name='"TokinUp"']Thats normal to cough up tar when you smoke.weed lets you get all that shit up.ppl that smoke cigarettes might not cough it up because the cigarettes trap mucus and tar in youre lungs which is really bad for you[/quote]

Ive been smoking weed for a few years at a steady pace and Ive never coughed up black shit. Brown resiny type shit yea but never black. Maybe im lucky