Corona virus

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Ganjafarmer21, Mar 12, 2020.

1. An email I received today from the Maine Department of Labor.

There has been SO MANY jobs available for a long time here. If folks stay at a job for 8 weeks they’ll receive $1,500.00.

We have been doing everything possible to try and hire new workers - starting folks off the street with zero experience for $20 an hour and over, sign-on bonuses, reviews with raises after 90 days if deserved - and we treat our people well, full, excellent complete benefits package and lots of room to grow - We’ve been able to hire two (2) workers in the last 6-8 months.

To me, this feels like the government bribing people that are still on unemployment to go back to work.

—————————————————————

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/back-to-work-grants

The program, which runs from June 15-July 25, 2021, is aimed at getting unemployed Maine people back into the workforce by offering grants to businesses to pay as hiring bonuses to qualifying new employees.

The program provides employers a one-time $1,500 payment for eligible workers who start jobs between June 15 and June 30 or a $1,000 payment for eligible workers who start jobs in July to encourage unemployed Maine people to return to the workforce. The first-come, first-served program will utilize $10 million in Federal funding and could reach up to 7,500 Maine people.

To be eligible, people must:

1. Have received unemployment compensation for the week ending May 29, 2021;
    2. Accept a full-time job that pays less than $25 per hour and remain in the job for a period of at least eight consecutive weeks, and;
    3. Not receive unemployment compensation during the eight week period of employment.
    Once the employee has worked for eight weeks, the employer will provide documentation of the completion of the requirement and grant funds will be issued to the employer to be passed through to the employee.

To make the application process faster, employers can prepare by registering with the Maine JobLink here: https://joblink.maine.gov/

The program comes after the Maine Department of Labor tightened work search requirements for unemployment insurance recipients on May 23, 2021, reinstating pre-pandemic requirements. People receiving unemployment are required to actively look for work and to accept positions for which they are reasonably qualified. A refusal to accept an offer of suitable work is grounds for disqualifying a person for benefits, and can be reported here: https://www.maine.gov/unemployment/ucbr/

Thank you,

The Maine Department of Labor”

j

• Like Like x 1
  2. Just an example of what likely goes on without being known but to a select few.

Japanese Medical Experiments of WW2
    Unit 731 - Wikipedia

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. How much do roofers make in Maine?

4. Depends on level of experience - but definitely less than states south of us - anywhere in the low to high $20’s and foremen into mid $30’s?

Full bennys as well tho too.

Things like houses & land are much cheaper up here as well, though, too. For where we are it’s definitely decent pay. I made alot more in southern New England but homes were also triple the coat, etc.

j

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. It's honestly a great opportunity for people to relocate to where they'd prefer to be. I can literally pick any town or city i'd like to move to, do a quick job search and find dozens of viable positions in every place I look and with very respectable wages to boot. Me and the girlfriend have decided to move out of the city we are currently in for something a little more laid back. I've been putting out feeler resumes all over my province and am inundated with calls almost immediately after I apply to something. People will call me every day until I respond to them. I recently put out a resume for a property manager position for a condo complex and I shit you not the guy asked me a handful of questions through the job search website I applied on, asked for a few references, then asked when I could start. No in person interview, nothing, and a full on property manager is slightly above my experience level. It was bizarre.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Break through in Canuckistan -

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. “A scientist that signed onto a letter recently backing a probe in the possibility that the coronavirus pandemic originated from the Wuhan Institute of Virology said in an interview this week that some scientists did not come forward sooner to back the possibility that the pandemic originated in a lab because they did not want “to be associated with Trump.”

Chan said there had been trepidation among some scientists about publicly discussing the lab leak hypothesis for fear that their words could be misconstrued or used to support racist rhetoric about how the coronavirus emerged. Trump fueled accusations that the Wuhan Institute of Virology, a research lab in the city where the first Covid-19 cases were reported, was connected to the outbreak…

“At the time, it was scarier to be associated with Trump and to become a tool for racists, so people didn’t want to publicly call for an investigation into lab origins,” Chan said in the interview.“

Scientist Backing Probe Into Wuhan Lab: Some Peers Delayed Probing Lab Theory Because They Didn’t Want ‘To Be Associated With Trump’ [UPDATED]

j

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bet he's a landlord.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. It looks like the governor is just getting a bigger shovel to scoop out the money faster but if the State bans evictions for non payment of rent then IMO the State becomes responsible for the landlord's loss. Yes, I'm a landlord

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. You can be the new ca gov!lol!

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’m in a poor area, and I know it, but people around here who will eat the ride to Charlotte/rock hill or Greenville/Sburg can do ok. It’s cheap living but requires travel for work and school.

• Like Like x 1
  12. As someone who has never been against the idea of “trying new substances”, while at the same time I’m careful of germs and have never been anxious to try vaccines. I avoided the flu shot until I noticed my coworkers not begin to glow or grow giant feet before I took it. Well, both my dr and nurse are quite pretty and I’m a sucker for perfume so I went ahead and took this vaccine.
    I had very minor lingering soreness in my arm after round one but nothing a bowl and hanging out on here couldn’t cure. I got round two Wednesday morning and haven’t even been sore. I came home and went right to the garden with no ill effects at all. I was even warned of this “hangover” but haven’t felt bad at all.

Now I may drop dead in a minute from it but that’s my vaccine story and I’m sticking to it.

I told my anti virus “it’s the flu” bud that I was starting to feel Chinese and had tried to call Bill Gates 3 times already to let him know where I was.

And tho I would have loved a bond, beer, or joint for getting it, I only got a cup of water which my med center will probably bill me for.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Same where we live. I couldnt make any money in my town. I travel 62 miles each way for work down to Portland and that doesn’t include trips out to jobsites.

j

• Like Like x 3
  14. As long as the drive is pretty,its not that bad:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Reported

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. That was my exact same experience, a little sore after the first jab but nothing at all after the second. Congratulations, now you're immune and can walk among the philistines without a mask.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Eh, I’ve got a relative who can’t get the vax yet due to just having Shingles so I’m still going cautious. I don’t leave here much anyway, I stay among the garden.

• Friendly Friendly x 1