Cord distance between light and ballast

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by RobsGreen, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Is it ok to have a 25ft cord in between the light bulb and ballast? I noticed there all sold with 10ft. Its a HPS 250w.

2. yes it should make no difference as long as the wire is of the corect type an gauge.........peace

3. with 600w, i have been advised by certified electrician to not use more than 15 feet btwn ballast/hood as it loses effectiveness after that....my ballests are brand new, but NOT digis.

4. Yeah, I wouldn't push it. That is the difference between a remote ballast and a high/low bay light. The remote ballasts can handle the long cord. The longer the cord is the more resistance, the more heat. If you must use the 25, get the fattest wire you can, like 10 or 12 gauge. You might risk a fire or shortened ballast life.
    BE CAREFUL

5. You have to be careful using too heavy a wire gauge for a cord,the thing is that your wall outlet is probably 14ga. going to a 15amp breaker,12ga. going to a 20amp breaker,check your breaker for that outlet,you shoud not exceed the gauge of the wire going to your breaker.
    The best case scenario is to install a dedicated breaker for your entire grow system,20 amp,12 gauge wire,that'll handle most loads.

Tread Carefuly with electricity!

6. Thanks for the help, I'm going to use 20 feet of wire between ballast and light bulb. I have some 14g wire I'll use which is what's in my wall. I'll keep a close eye on the heat for the first while to see what it does. My light is only 250w so it shouldn't be drawing that much current.