Coping with depression?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by restochesto, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Do any of you deal with severe depression? I'm medicated for it, but started smoking recently to help out more (my environment isn't particularly great atm). I'm trying to stop temporarily to get a job, but it's more difficult to deal with depression this way. Any ideas?

2. You don't fucking cope with that shit you get away from it it's going to ruin your life if you don't leave and then you'll probably bitch about it and say its not your fault when it is get yourself out of that perspective just say fuck and be happy any way don't be your environment you're your own person not what you live around and get away from all the negativity in your life if you can just stay a strong person and just live how you want it's your life you control your emotions and your standings in life

3. I have had sever depression my whole life. I recently started taking Zoloft for it and I feel like a new fuckin person lol.

4. Just posted this in another thread, but I feel it's also appropriate here:

Taking a nice t-break may be good for your mental health in that you can think on it sober, but chances are it won't in and of itself make you not depressed. If you're depressed, then there is a good reasoning behind it. It could be chemical imbalance, in which they have prescription meds for. Problem here is that said medications will fuck you over if that isn't the cause of the problem (and have their share of side-effects even if it is).

Get sober for a few days, go get alone for a few hours, and try and determine what you're unhappy about; what it is that is the source of the problem. If you can find the problem, work to change it and see if you feel any better. If not, still try and change some things in your life and see if things don't change. I recently dealt with it myself, and I can assure you it doesn't last and particularly if you take steps to change it. I've dealt with it on and off through a lot of my life, but particularly around the last few months of last year. Not being able to find a reason to get out of bed in the morning, extreme fatigue, inability to find the motivation to do what is expected of you, paranoia, the more-than-occasional thought of taking the pussy way out. It's a horrible condition to deal with, particularly when you can't understand why you feel the way you do and have nobody to talk to that could begin to understand.

After about a month alone to think things through and some steps to change things in my life, I feel even happier than I did before any of this and for that I have to give credit to God. I hope you start feeling better man, but if you need to talk about any of it feel free to shoot me a PM.

5. Been on Zoloft for a while now. It works for the shitty nasty depression (suicide and whatnot) but pessimism and hate still lingers.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it. You mention sobering up, but I hardly smoked, lol. Ripped up a gram over the last, uh... week and a half. Yeah, I'm a lightweight.

I think the worst part is dealing with parental shit and those problems that exist but don't, y'know what I mean? Like... you know something is wrong but you don't know if it's wrong, so you feel like shit anyways. I dunno. Life's a bitch.

6. Stop taking drugs, man the fuck up, and start living the life you want to live. The only thing stopping you is yourself.

7. Life's a bitch but I appreciate her, you get what you put in and if you sow your crops you will get a harvest.

8. The pessimism and hate is not due to the depression.

9. i won't lie to you, being diagnosed with clinical depression when i was 13 was so heavy. and it still is heavy. it's like being covered in an 80 pound wool blanket, over your eyes and head and body everywhere you go. i won't talk about unmentionables here because the ones i've tried have been unsuccessful and oddly enough, trigger other disorders and behaviors i have, especially if i miss a few.
    anyway..

the only way of coping i have found were two things: one is extremely destructive, harming myself, and the other one is singing. don't do the first one, because i regret it every time i do it, and every time i see my ruined skin. i think if you find something you really, really love to do, like painting or reading or fixing cars or playing with birds or running or planting or doing puzzles or playing hackysack or cooking or making home videos or waching fish, and do it as often as you can, it will help a lot. this obviously won't cure your depression but it helps a lot. it also helps to discuss with your doctor the best medicine for you, if marijuana is beneficial like you said, use it.

if possible, surround yourself with people who love and care about you. if they aren't there, find them. contact old friends, make new ones if you can, if you have family members you get along with and trust and care about, talk to them too.

and one last thing. if you ever need anyone to talk to, you can always message me, my inbox is always open for anyone. please don't even hesitate. i know how indescribably horrible it is to be depressed.

10. here is a perfect example of what not to say to someone that's depressed. you're a prick dude. how the hell is saying man the fuck up going to help anything? people like you piss me off so much.

11. Maybe he can't pity himself so he won't pity others

12. I feel you brother, I too am coping with depression and I have also been proscribed Zoloft. I've been on it a few weeks and am not sure I notice the difference besides the horrible withdrawals if you stop it for a short time.

I cannot offer too much advice since I have not improved and am in one of those "holes" again. I've been in and out of mental hospitals for the last year (which is why I never have any activity on here anymore).

Life is a bitch and it's hard to keep going, but there is always something.

13. Some people just cant cope with todays world.

The answer is very simple, find what makes you happy and stick to it, no matter what anyone says, and dont do it half assed. As long as its something fulfilling it will work wonders.

14. Keep on them, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are fuckin' magic pills, I swear to god.

Man, y'all blades are awesome. I guess I just feel like I got the short end of the stick; mild Asperger's, depression, and communist parents. Ah, well, I'll find a way to get through it.

15. Go talk to a therapist and lookin into behavioural cognitive therapy. I recommend therapy first over medications and it helps in conjuntion with meds. Just know it can take a long time to find the right medicine and the right coping skills but they are out there and you can get better. It takes work and sacrifice on your part but a little temporary pain for a better future is worth it. Don't get disouraged just keep fighting.

16. #16 MaxP0wers, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
    Man the fuck up,

No but I honestly think its what they need. I have family that is clinically depressed, and they just don't see it. They hide behind themselves. We are all given the chance to live, if your an adult there are no excuses as to why your life sucks, it's on you. Spend everyday working towards goals that will improve the quality of your life. Or just "cope" with your shitty life and settle for unhappiness and mediocrity.

17. ^Pretty bold statement. Lots of people have shit holding them back that hinders there life, yes even as fucking adults.

18. Other than a genetic disability, what are you talking about.

19. congrats, you're a fucking asshat. if you have nothing more productive to say, i suggest you get the hell out of this thread and spread your hateful bullshit elsewhere.

20. Oh so you can't answer my question? Only insult me?