Cooling + Odor scrubbing a grow tent. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by B_herb420, Feb 25, 2011.

1. #1 B_herb420, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
    Made a homemade carbon filter. I bought a nice fan (240 cfm inline blower).

I thought the carbon filter I made didn't have enough carbon in it, but, now that I've tried to pull air through it, the air flow is really weak. It's just strong enough to blow out a candle, but barley.

But, i'm not really sure how strong of an air flow fans usually after have after sucking through a carbon filter.

So, blades, how strong is my exhaust air flow supposed to be after pulling through my carbon filter? (enough to blow out a candle, enough to move a piece of paper, ETC)

I used one of these to make the carbon filter... I filled it up with carbon and put panty hose on each side. Then, attached my ducting to the 4 inch side. (air sucks through)
    [​IMG]

2. that transition has to be close to five inches deep right? Imo that kinda seems like alot to pull air through, where as the can style has a thinner amount of carbon to pull through but it pulls it through that smaller amount all throughout the entire canister which equals more surface area than the six inch side on that transition. i didnt do the math but its not alot more area but its probly a little more. and if it isnt more it is atleast alot less restrictive on the airflow. I dont i may be wrong but im high and these thoughts seem to make sense to me.

3. Yeah, I was thinking about taking some carbon out to make it easier on the fan.

I don't want to over work this $85 fan, and make it break.

How many inches of carbon should the air pass through before I can consider it odorless?

4. an inch is nice... it really depends on the type of carbon your using though.... if your using activated carbon for a fish filter, the carbon will only last for about a grow... if your using carbon that is ment to scrub air... that could last a easy six months and scrub the air better

most hydro stores sell carbon in a box... its more bulk style and its a replacement for the purchased filters, so its the correct carbon...

take pics of the build

5. #6 B_herb420, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2011
    Thanks for the reply.

An inch? really? I was for some reason under the impression that the carbon had to pass through like 5-10 inches...

I'm using the fish tank carbon. I already bought it, so might as well use it.

I was planning on changing the carbon in the filter every harvest or so.

Also, should I have the carbon filter as close to the fan as I can get it? Would this make a stronger air pull? Or does it not matter?

6. the thickness of the carbon your going to have depends on the cfm rating(more or less) of your fan

lemme give you a link to a 400 cfm rated do it yourselfer carbon filter... scale it down for your use

http://forum.grasscity.com/do-yourself/699503-diy-pro-grade-400cfm-air-filter.html

please read the whole thread.. he explains about the carbon and how he arrives at the thickness of his carbon... good read

7. My fan is either 190cfm or 240cfm. It said both on the website ordered it from...

Heres some pictures. Lighter for size comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. And, if I were to take some carbon out, It would have to hang straight down. Right now, the adapter is completely full, so the carbon doesn't move.

So, should I put like, cotton balls in there after I take some carbon out, to keep the other carbon secure?

9. there are no pictures, i don't know what your asking