Cooling Air Before Venting Outside?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by shamrockceo, May 29, 2010.

1. Hi, I'm new to posting here, just been creeping for a while, haha. I have a grow room of about 4' x 6' and I'm thinking of getting an HPS light, cool tube, and carbon filter and venting into the attic. However, my question is, is there any way to cool off the exhaust air before venting into the attic?

Basically, so I can vent cool air into the attic, instead of hot air? Maybe I can put an air conditioner in the chain before the air hits the attic, or something? Maybe some of you have done something like this before, or maybe have some suggestions?

Thanks.

2. y do u want 2 cool the air b4 it gos in the attic? im just nosey

3. yeah why do you want to cool it after wards? Wouldnt you want to cool it before it gets in the room?

4. Yes, there are some ways to cool your air, but not efficiently, and cooling only creates more heat somewhere else. More energy, more heat, more attention.

Just add a little vent in your attic so it can expel the hot air and it'll be alright.

5. putting warm / moist air in the attic could turn into a problem.

What's often done is to vent it out the plumbing stack. (all your plumbing in your house is vented via a 6" or 4" usually pvc pipe that vents on the top of your roof. just put a Y connector on it and pipe it in there.

6. ya, either go through an existing vent in your root/attic, or add a roof vent. If your air comes out in the middle of your roof its as far from street level as possible. At that point you WANT it to be hot, so that its hotter than the air outside and immediately goes up. That's a form of odor control on its own.

7. You could run a water cooled system. But it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just reconfigure your exhaust to go somewhere else. There's no real justification to buying a $600 chiller unless you're looking to run a CGE.

8. Well, I don't want to vent hot air to my attic because I live in a place that isn't that hot and snows in the winter. So, I don't want my house to be the only one on the block who's roof isn't covered with snow and heat is pouring out of the attic. That's my thought process anyway, maybe I'm being overly paranoid.

Going out of the plumbing stack would be a good idea, thanks. If I end up going with an HPS, I'll do that. :)

However, I've been looking into alternatives that wouldn't require creating much heat at all, so venting wouldn't need to be a problem. I've started looking into LED's, what do you guys think?

If money wasn't a problem at all, would you use them? I'm not looking to produce massive quantities of bud, I'm just growing for personal use with a few friends and such.

Thanks for the replies, I would have replied back sooner, but the board didn't hit me with emails when someone replied, like I thought it would, since I'm subscribed to the thread.

Anyway, thanks for the help and advice, I appreciate it. Hope to hear back soon. :)

9. and i was thinking u were nuts:eek: wanting 2 cool Ur wast air but i c Ur point now good thinking nd good look;):)

10. If you plumb the air out a vent in your attic you should be good to go.

LEDs are extremely expensive to run on anything except a micro grow. Once you can run a 400w HPS LED doesn't make any sense.

11. What size room and light are you intending to use???? You could easily vent a 600, 1000, or a couple of 600's into the attic without melting the snow on your roof. Do you live in a pier and beam house? If so dump it that way. Your air venting out is only going to be a few degree's higher than your tent if your not running a huge setup, that introduced to your cool attic will chill fast.

12. agreed

13. I think it would depend on the attic space and the size of his fan. I could easily see 500 CFM of 80 degree air warming a small attic enough to melt snow on the roof. Even if it wasn't he might want to add more light in the future, and bigger fans, and the truth is you want to direct your exhaust out and up if you can. Having it passively leak out of his attic vents can cause odor to linger.

14. I agree to some extent. If he is gonna run a setup with enough lights to put out that much heat his attic won't be that small. I have a 464cfm fan vented into my attic and I live in a 1100 sq ft home and there is NO way I could heat that attic up enough to melt snow off the roof. Then if he adds more fans it will only keep the lights that much cooler and pull even more cold air from his room through the garden. Odor shouldn't be a problem is he gets a decent scrubber and keeps it maintained as we all should. That right there is number one to me, zero odor. Cough up the money to get a good can filter and you will have peace of mind in that area. But yeah, if you can easily tap into the vent and do it right then go for it. Just make sure it all flows the correct way and doesn't push the gas fumes from the water heater or furnace back down into your home that would end badly. Either way good luck whichever way you go!

15. small is relative, there is absolutely no way I could vent my lights into my attic without it becoming 100F in there the first few hours. No matter what your odor control there is always a risk for odor in air you take from your room and exhaust outside, if you can direct that air away from where humans have access your giving yourself a nice safety net.