Cooling 4 1000 watters not so

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sanifsan, Dec 25, 2010.

1. I have two seperate tents (each being 5x10x6.5) that I bought and Also 4 1000 watt cool tubes. The flowering room will be enriched with co2 at 1200 ppm and I'm assuming that it will be okay for temps to reach 85*. Now I will be using a fan max 12" (1700+ cfm) which will suck the air through the lamps in this order: room (which is airconditioned at 73 with the central ac)>veg tent>flowering tent>150 can filter>outside... I decided to put the flowering room at the end since it can reach higher temps and cooler air will come in contact with the veg room first. WIll this set up be sufficient as far as the cooling goes? I have been reading alot and would like some input from anyone who has any experience.

Thank you for reading and help :wave:

2. I see that there have been some views yet no replys. I probably don't make a lot of sense trying to explain my self, however, My question is that if you have 4 1000 watt lights is 1700 C.f.m fan good enough to cool them especially if they are encased in cool tube reflectors?

3. keep good air movement with oscillating fans and you should be good

4. I think your major issue is you have a 12" fan pushing/pulling through 6" ports. Bottleneck

The best option IMO would be to put the tents side by side, then put the filter and fan outside the tent. Put a "Y" on it, and go to 6" ducting, and pull two lights from one part of the Y and 2 from the other. try to stay 12" all the way to the first hood before reducing if you can.

5. #5 B-ill, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
    i agree with the last poster.
    Your good up until you add in the reducing airflow size from 12" to 6"
    instead of having it in straight setup, The box by box works best from what i've researched.
    Goodluck man, ur Gonna have some nice yields with 4000w :smoke::smoke::smoke:

6. It's as if you read my mind and knew what I had planned!! I was actually planing on using a "Y" and a duct reducer from 12 to 6. Tne reason being that bending the duct will slow the air flow and again like you mentioned it made sense that two 6" will equal the 12" fan. I wasn't sure if the system would stand the pressure created by the bottle neck effect.

7. a 12" fan has a surface area of around 113 inches. A 6" fan has a surface area of 28 inches. You are still loosing surface area. Maybe a 10" fan would be better

here is a calculator. It uses radius which is half
    Circle Calculator

8. #8 sanifsan, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

You're genius!!! thanks for you're help, I never tought about it like that, I just might go with a 10" but the cfm drops significantly with the 2 inches about 700. I could do a 10x10x12 Y connector. the two 10s will equate to 157 inches of surface area but i will have to cut bigger holes in the tent

9. #9 jamesreed, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010

This is the correct solution. Also you want to put your flower tent first in the line. Air should move: Room---flower tent-----veg tent----filter---fan---out. You have it backwards on the heat. The veg stage can stand higher temps than the flower stage. It's quite logical since plants veg in the hot summer months and flower in the cooler fall months. As an added bonus, you will be pulling the CO2 through both tents if you generate it in the first one. Not to mention that if you hook the veg room up first, you risk pulling pollen from that room through your flower room any time you grow from seed (or get a hermi).

As an alternative you can run two separate air systems that connect at the fan. For ducting, (2) 8" = (1) 10" and (2) 10" = (1) 12". Thus you could run (1) 8" to each of your (4) lights and then connect them to (2) 8x8x10 "Y" joints and then connect those to (1) 10x10x12 "Y" joint and hook that to your fan.

light
    ````\_
    ____/`\
    light.....\
    ```````.\__ Filter--fan--out
    ............/
    light...../
    ````\_/
    ____/
    light

10. You need to cool about 14k BTU of heat based on really rough calculations because I don’t know your full setup.

10x10 grow space = 4000k ambient btu
    4x1000w = 16000k minus 6400k btu (air cooled hoods) leaves you 9600k btu.

Puts you at 13.6k BTU. Basic CFM to expel heat is take Heat divided by 21. Round up to 14k
    Puts you at needing 666.67 CFM needed.
    14,000 / 21 = 666.67

Lots of other factors in play here but the biggest will be as long as your dumping the heat into a room/environment not connected to the room with your tents then you will be ok.