Convincing the wife...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by brp, Sep 7, 2010.

1. So I understand relationship issues are not par for this forum but bear with me on this.
    I am not a typical smoker. I can count on one had the amount of times I have smoked. Also, I'm a pretty square guy by nature… shirt and tie desk job, sensible house, wife, 2 cats. But I'm 26 and my sensible life is starting to grate on me.

So, I decided I would start an agricultural experiment. I have over the last year collected the equipment to begin a very small LED and CFL grow. I even received my beans from nirvana (rasp cough). The stumbling block at this point is my wife. She let me know in pretty clear terms that she is not about this and doesn't want MJ growing in her house. I'd like to hear if any of the GC users had a similar situation or can help me develop a logical plan of attack to convince the wife to let me take up a 2x2 area in my basement to grow.

Thanks in Advance.

BP
    :confused:

2. TERMINATION
    [​IMG]

haha. juss kiddin. If my girlfriend says no she means it. Won't do it.
    oh and good luck pullin that off.:wave:

3. What worked for me....

I played a lot of video games. Like World of Warcraft lots. And when I changed my mind to focus on growing weed she was totally cool w/ dropping video games for this.

Now I spend my PC time here at GC :D

We;re both enjoying the change...so maybe there's some compromise you have for her?

4. your'e a wild man:hello: 2 cats!!!!!...you got your hands full bro...your partner has got to be on board...good luck...maybe you and a friend concoct an almost busted buyin' weed story and play off how less risky it would be ta grow a little:smoke:...tell her its fun the whole family can share..then...the twister in the nude:eek:peace deacon

5. did you try presenting her with facts on how safe it really is?

6. I appreciate the feed back. Maybe radman is on the right path.

7. If she hasnt already try it have her do some with you and if she likes what she feels then she may be willing to grow.

8. Are you going to smoke it anyways, and does she accept that? When I started growing, heres what did me in.

The biggest risk in MJ use is buying it. If you're gonna get caught its because you are buying are selling. If you do a grow for personal useage, all your risk of getting caught just gets cut down to a very low %. Unless your dumb with your grow/live in a backwards ass state (god bless california. Went down to venice recently for the first time in years. If people actually vote, no way it doesn't get passed) growing definately reduces your risk of getting caught.

Again, thats for personal use. If you sell or do a massive grow, then you may get caught due to smell or heatseaking sattelites

And if you live in a medical state, go get you prescription.

9. You haven't identified what her objections are, so it's hard to advise you what persuasive arguments you could mount.

My only advice is that you grow with her permission or not at all, as it seems you are approaching the situation. Do not try to grow if she (or anyone else living in the grower's house) is not aware of it and has not consented explicitly.

10. #10 Waverider420, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
    It was difficult at first to convince the wife about growing because we're a few years older than you but also have children. Since we are very low-key smokers are consumption is not that high so I explained to her about getting the police on me trying to buy or even worse robbed and killed. We also were watching some pot friendly movies and documentaries that helped my conversation along.

Also my smoking your own you save money on marijuana in general; but we drink less and seems we get alot more sleep so the overall savings is very good benefit to point out too.

I also practiced on a vegetable garden before it and as I learned new things from growing marijuana I applied it to my gardens. My tomatoes have never been better ;)

EDIT: Hell you also ordered seeds which is the thing I can convince myself to do yet. So if you got them with no issues then you should never have any chance of getting caught unless you or the wife show people or tell people about the grow.

11. tell her that you wear the pants, and if she doesnt like it GTFO!!! LOL im j/k good luck just point out all the benefits from it, and whatever doubts she has in her mind, make sure you have legit excuses to deter those doubts. :hello:

12. Ya dude, its all about compromise. There HAS to be something she wants to do, that you don't approve of.

Make sure you explain to her the relatively low risk of growing (assuming you are being careful of course..). Its really hard to make many more suggestions without knowing the full picture.

You're wife could be abusive, extremely stern in her ways, or just a downright bitch who doesn't want you to enjoy much in life.

I didn't have to convince my wife much. She smokes a little bit, but she pretty much supports me and my many "projects". Same goes for her, I support her dumb ideas no matter how dumb I think they are.

13. If she is against it all in general I would get her to watch the union with you. It will shed some light on the whole topic of mj in general and then get a list of facts about how you have less of a chance getting caught growing in home than actually buying from someone else.. Then throw in there about the chance of robbery, getting shorted, etc and ask if you could grow just one seed just to see how the process works. Women like to garden.. Its just you trying to get her on board with mj.. Convince her mj is her friend.. If she isn't a smoker herself then you may be up the river without a paddle on this one though.. Women get set on a point and are hard to convince other wise.

14. This is a good one.. I am using this.. Go out and get some gardening supplies like some serious grow nutes.. try to grow something outside.. kill it and use it as an excuse to get yourself a mylar lined tent to "Regulate the environment"

Once it's inside the tent it's out of sight out of mind... Get some tomato's growing alongside it and snap some pics of them every so often... whenever she brings it up you can be like "here are some pics!"

Get yourself a good carbon scrubber and fans and nobody in the house will know what's going on even if they are in the same room with it unless they unzip the tent and look inside.. some locks will stop that too..

15. the wife and I have smoked for several decades so not the same sitch. But she dont want me growing it. I have my first grow going right now in the basement. She never even goes down there. If she finds it...I guess I'll have soem explaining to do but if I were to ask her she would say no so I'm taking my chances.

16. #16 Mister Meaner, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
    I smoke medical/recreational about a 50/50 ratio. Sometimes my guts are in a knot and sometimes I just want to relax. My wife understood that I was going to smoke anyhow. I kept complaining about my dealer and how hard it was to connect and how sketchy he was. I did my homework on growing and put it to her as a proposal. Column A are the risks of buying, Column B are the risks of growing. It works out very well on the side of growing.

Edit: I thought about hiding it but I am not willing to go there. Growing an illegal plant is one thing. Betraying her trust is another.

17. some good stuff here guys...like toasty's point..why does she not want ya growin''.....the rule of thumb...god..i hate that...is...dont smell.....dont tell.....dont sell..if your runnin an illegal...break em at your own rick....if people are livin in your house....they gotta know..not kids:smoking:

18. So I'm really surprised with the response from the GC community. I thank you all. She was a "bigger" smoker than me in college (relative terms). Her concern isn't with POT its the illegality of having it in the house. In my state there is no misdemeanor for cultivation or possession for that matter. Its felony...felony...felony. 5g is the same as 5kg.

I need to throw some of your answers out... but thanks for trying. I don't even smoke now... I can't convince her that growing is less than buying because I don't buy. The Jesus thing is out too, we are moral but not religious. No kids, no other people living in the house.

I'm thinking that based on her personality type I'll try watching the Union with her to open the convo. I honesty hadn't thought about doing that so kudos for the suggestion.

Everyone hits the right point... legal or not I won't betray her trust. The one thing I may have in the win column for me is that she really dislikes booze, maybe I can convince her it is the safer alternative.

One last question...
    I will be recreational only and drug testing at work isn't an issue... but my job is extremely cerebral (think stock market all kidding aside). I won't be stoned at work, but should I be concerned about carry over effects front night to day? I really can't be competitive if my brain is sloppy.

Thanks again guys

BP

19. BP - I never smoke before (or during obviously) at work. Also in a professional work environment. There is no side effects that will carry on to the next day unless you get munchies and eat some spicy nachos or something that does not agree with your body. Basically spend a night sitting with your wife smoking cigs and talking or drinking and talking and the next day you will have side effects; but not from smoking weed.

My wife and I also drink and make our own beer. Talking about weed (I was just getting out of the Army) and drinking and reflecting on what happened in life we started talking about the life "before" our current life. We also talked about cutting back on drinking and we smoked tobacco at that time and the long term effects. Watched the Union on netflix after watching I think a marathon of the show weeds and Humboldt County and boom. Easy sale ;)

20. Dude kinda samething with me. I have prob smoked 5x in the last 6 years (since our son was born) Neither of us have an issue with marijuana. we like it and will smoke it we just dont buy it and only smoke if its in our face and we feel like it. However my wife is a bit if a prude. I told her one day I was going to grow some weed. Told her I was going to grow some lowryder and its very small autoflower plant 58-75 days its done. Her response was "NO! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GROW POT IN OUR HOUSE WITH OUR SON!" I said ok and that night i went to attitude and ordered 3 fem seeds of easy ryder. Didnt tell her shit! I germinated 1 seed and made a nice little grow room in the closet in my garage. Well what do you know I got busted the first night! This bitch has not steped a foot in my garage in 3 years.. The very first night she decided to store some chairs out there.. She got new ones but we have to keep the old ones for some reason :confused: She was looking around and said whats this power cord for and opend the closet and said WTF is this, I say no and you do it anyways? I responded yea its weed and gave her the bucket list excuse its in the garage no one knows etc.. If I get caught you didnt know about it blah blah blah. She was like ok its in the garge im not happy and that was it. Then that night temps were getting alittle hot as i live in deep south. I had to move inside a/c to spare bathroom that we dont use. Again i herd some shit "now your growing weed in the house :mad: I told her its way to hot out there.

Long story short.. she was not happy but was not as bad as I thought it would be. got to assure them you will take the fall if you get busted and she had no idea about it if you get caught and most important life lesson of all keep your fucking mouth shut. Dont even tell your best friend and make sure she does the same and assure her no one knows but her. Dont take pics and send to brother's, friends or anyone and if you get caught man up take the rap you and only you.

start a plant... mabey put in window after it sprouts let her see it. Let her ask about it and feel it out from there. you can always scrap it if you have to. Normaly they will come around if you assure her. But you can expect another round of shit when they start stinkin lol

Good luck brah

~Ibefreeman