Convincing doctors to prescribe meds...

Discussion in 'General' started by BlueFrost, Jul 3, 2004.

1. I have social anxiety disorder, but I am not taking anything to treat it. I am also taking meds for ADD (metadate CD, methylin), and I am trying to think of a way to convince my doctor to prescribe me some kind of benzo for the social anxiety disorder. So far I have one idea: I will ask to be put on strattera (anti depressant) because I also have depression and that could help both the ADD and the depression. That way he might be hesitant to prescribe me another anti depressant for the social anxiety disorder. That way his only alternative will be something like xanax. Any suggestions?

P.S. This doctor is pretty liberal when it comes to prescribing stuff. He put me on 108 mgs of Concerta a while ago.

2. you are going to think I'm crazy but I just have to laugh because anti-depressents and anti-anxiety pills are so easy to get from doctors. They dish them out like candy. Just walk in and tell him that you had a panic attack the other day and you'd like something for it. I can almost guarentee that they'll give you something. If you don't like it go back 1 week later and say they aren't working and ask for something stronger.

I used to have to take anxiety pills a few years ago. Worked my way up from Paxil(yes it's for anxiety as well as depression) to Xanex in 2 weeks. Then there was the time where I hurt my back at work and had to see a workers comp doctor. I was originally prescribed Skelaxin(might as well been a sugar pill) and worked my way up to Darvocet, followed by a combination of Soma and Percocet. All I did was walk in and ask for Soma specifically, and kept telling them that the painkillers weren't strong enough until they finally switched me to Percocet.

The point of my post, just ask. Sometimes they'll give you something weak at first but just take it and appear grateful, then go back later and say you need something stronger. Unless of course your intentions are to find the proper strength for your condition, then just find something that works. But for me, stronger=better. I always go for the strongest they are willing to give up...it's kinda like haggling over meds.

3. Yup...
    I went to the doc's for insomnia, and he tried to give me 2 bottles of anti-depressants...
    I had to convince him not to...
    :p

4. Well, I went, and he prescribed me Paxil. Just what I didn't need. I decided to look up the side effects of ssri's, and it said that they may cause fluctuation of blood sugar levels. I am a diabetic. That was a big fuck up on my doctors part. Now I've pretty much eliminated the SSRI's from the list of possible medications he would prescribe. Now on to the other shitty ones...

5. Why not just stick to the wonderful herb and forget about these shady dealings?

6. This is the only way my parents will buy me drugs. They won't mind me doing it. Plus, I don't really have a good solid source of income at the moment. Once I go to college I will start up again. Lots more hookups :)

7. just tell the doc what meds you want lol...the give you anything nowadays

8. Because I have to pay for weed. Insurance pays for meds!

9. honestly--good doctors should prescribe you what you want, yet they of course have to really think if you need it or not.

I mean hell--if I went to the most liberal doctor I could find and randomly said "I have a small paper cut on my finger--give me oxcycotin"
    I mean thats a little overboard obviously.

If the doctor finds a legimate reason to prescribe you the pills you feel that you need, he should take your feelings into consideration--and give them to you.

10. tell him you took a xanax once and it really helped you

11. i tried sayin that shit n it dont work worth shit. i told him i was havin anxiety n shit n that i took some valiums n xanax's before n they helped n they gave me 3 0.5mg lorazepam pills n that was it because they said "stop doin drugs n see if the anxiety goes away" too bad they aint listen to me cuz the only reason i'm havin anxiety is cuz i aint doin the drugs anymore. doctors suck, but its cool cuz i found a crooked doctor in my area so i'ma go see his ass.

edit: if it was that easy to say u need a certain drug, then there wouldnt be a need for prescriptions now would there u could jus go into the pharmacy n say you need it n they'd give it to you

12. Why dont you ask for Medical MJ if your under 18 well then you shouldnt be here but if you get your parents to sign something you can get it aand well if your over 18 go to a doctor who prescribes it

13. If I don't want to be on a certain meds, I just tell my doctor and he switches me. If I want a higher dosage I just say things could be better and he ups that shit.

14. Just go to a different doctor.