Controlling your high (Anxiety, Panic Attacks)

Discussion in 'General' started by ChiefBuddha, Nov 18, 2012.

1. I've had anxiety my whole life. I've had about 10 panic attacks while high, they are the fucking worst. I have since learned how to control my high when i'm starting to feel anxious and feel the panic attack coming on. It actually just now happened to me and I controlled it, and now am enjoying my high. :)

Anyways, i'll try and describe best how to have the best highs if you ever have bad ones cause of what i've talked about.

First, always eat something beforehand. Low blood sugar can be the cause of the anxiety. So always make you sure you get something in your stomach beforehand. Make sure you do what you need to do beforehand so you don't have anything to worry or stress about.

Now, when you start to feel anxiety come on, you gotta tell yourself its all in your head. Just talk to yourself and be like "It's all good man, you're just really fucking baked." You gotta do this. It helps so much. Smile. Tell yourself that. Put on music. Deep breaths. Keep busy!! Read something online and distract yourself. You'll soon forget you were having a bad high :smoking:

Last resort if you feel its getting too intense and you're about to lose. EAT. Get a granola bar to snack on and water. Eating makes me come down and if you come down a little bit you'll feel so much better. Also, getting head from your girl, or for the single folk rubbing one out will make you completely forget your bad high and you'll feel a million times better :cool:

I hope I might have helped someone who also deals with this. Anxiety sucks and it's sometimes hard to balance weed and anxiety. But if you can control your mind and relax you'll always have good experiences with the herb :hello:

2. all weed has ever done is help with my anxiety
    so i can't relaly relatate
    but i've heard people who say that it makes them anxious and that's why thye don't do it anymore
    it's understandable, if that's the end result

i am just so glad that it's a mostly positive thing in my file
    rather than a cause for anxiety and worry

3. You're lucky then. Weed has been a love hate relationship with me cause of my anxiety. But I'm glad I learned how to balance everything out so it's pretty much just a love relationship :)

4. same here man, the feeling of an anxiety attack is what i imagine hell must be like, for real. im sure you understand that feeling

i think its basically being overly sensitive to stimuli, however when you think about it it can be good.

guys like us are overly sensitive to the negative paranoid side of weed, but remember, that also means you are overly sensitive to the positive chill side of weed.

weed for me can range from anxiety attack (which ive learned to control like you) to utterly amazing experiences which id equate to an orgasm + childhood innocence

but yea, in reality i think the best indicator of whether you will have a paranoid high is if you are in a good state of mind. i mean a lot of people smoke in all kinds of situations and on unmentionables and dont have negative experiences

its all in the state of mind. mind and body are connected

id also say deep breaths, RESISTING THE URGE TO FEEL YOUR HEART BEAT (important one right there because when you feel your heart beat its basically surrendering to the anxiety and telling yourself it actually means something and is harmful, which it isnt)

cold sips of a healthy drink such as water or tea (cold drinks automatically slow the heart rate)

however in reality the long term cure for anxiety is living life the way you want to live it, i remember reading something about how anxiety is basically your bodys way of telling you to change something.

anxiety is simply a fear of losing control, losing control is something no one likes but anxious people fear it more than average. its something you will have to deal with eventually anyways

5. I just tell myself that if I die I won't ever know I died so it wont matter anyway, so why stress abt it:p

plus, when the fuck did anyone ever die from weed?

6. This thread relates a lot to what I'm going through now. Lately I've found myself having a great deal of social anxiety, its getting so bad to the point where I almost had a panic attack during sex with my bf once. I noticed that sometimes when I'm high I get even more anxious in certain situations; I had a really bad attack in the middle of giant. It was literally the worst experience ever, especially since nobody helped me at all. Like I was passed out on the self check-out machine and no one did anything...

Anyway, I'm also starting to get a sense of how to better control it. Usually I calm down just by telling myself "you're just high, you're tripping yourself out." The food thing helps too, and I always carry water with me. The day I had the attack in the store I didn't eat in the morning and I smoked, so I make sure not to do things like that again.

7. i really relate to the feeling of having an anxiety attack and no one giving two fucks

i remember i had a really bad one once and i called my dad once and all he said was "damn is treatment for that gonna cost much?" or something along those lines

well just know that us here at grasscity are here to help if u need anyone to talk to

just the idea of that helps a lot :)

8. I can really relate to everything you said man. We both definitely struggle with the same things. Especially you saying resisting the urge to feel your heart beat. This is huge. I cant tell you how many times i've been freaking out then felt it and i'm like holy shit why is beating so fast and it just intensifies it. OR sometimes I can't even feel a pulse?! Did I have a heart attack?!

Good advice man, thanks for contributing to the thread. Good luck to us in conquering this terrible thing.

9. I too like faramir can relate to no one giving two shits about my condition. Especially my friends I've gotten panic attacks at concerts/sporting events before from the crowd and just had to get the hell outta there and I've just left by myself and no one really understands.

That's good that you've learned how to control it though :hello: As long as we always continue to try and better ourselves thats all that matters.

I sometimes think of my anxiety as a hidden blessing. Yeah it fucking sucks but it's made me face things and have fear no one else has had to deal with. It's made me mature a lot more than most people my age and grow within. I also think I think of things a little differently then most people who don't suffer from it. It's such an interesting condition and everyday people like us have to deal with it.

10. i also wud like to add that in a worse case scenario type of situation alcohol or prescribed meds for anxiety work like a charm

of course those two things are very addictive tho so just be careful

ive found a happy medium in just catching a buzz on 3 to 4 beers and then smoking, the alcohol isnt overpowering and it makes for an amazing and perfectly relaxing experience

its funny ive literally tried making myself anxious while crossfaded by hyperventilating but it didnt do shit haha

but then again ive heard of people having an anxiety attack while drunk so dont take what i say for gospel

11. Hmm I have social anxiety, am on no medication at the moment but I find im smoother and calmer when high around people. Im more focused on in my head than to worry about stuff haha but I have freaked out hard before while too high for my own good

12. Sounds like you need some Indica. Get some CBD in ya :bongin:

13. [quote name='"randgen"']plus, when the fuck did anyone ever die from weed?[/quote]

I did once...oh wait maybe I was just realky high ....

14. You must have not read about that one dude whose daughter overdosed and died from 4 whole marijuanas.

15. [quote name='"fluffykush"']

You must have not read about that one dude whose daughter overdosed and died from 4 whole marijuanas.[/quote]

Those marijuanas are at it again!

16. o i forgot abt that one. but then again, if you do 4 WHOLE marajuanas at once you only have yourself to blame.

17. I can somewhat relate. My situation baffles me:

Ive been smokin for about 8 years now. Never really took a break. For some reason, recently ive been getting strong anxiety and it gets worse if I smoke around people. I get really worried about what im doing and just feel plain akward around my friends.

My friends have noticed and asked if Im ok at times. Shit weirds me out. Only thing I can think of is my job has been getting stressful these last 6 months as ive been promoted.

Its starting to keep me from going out sometimes. Lately when I get the anxiety, I go for a run. I throw my headphones on and just get the fuck out. Always helps immediately. Not sure whats going on but Ive always been really outgoing and enjoyed parties, going out, chill smoke sesh's but recently anxiety has come over me and weed makes it worse

18. My history: I am 37 yr old. Been smoking regular for about 10 years. I do not live in a medical state. About a year and a half ago, I got a Volcano vaporizer. Once I started working from home about 18 months ago, I started using more regular. Every day. Maybe 4 times a day on the vaporizer. The quality I get here was pretty good. Some was the cheap stuff, some good kush too. Basically, I had a good tolerance to getting high. Never had a problem. Always made me feel great. I have a bad back, arthritis from sports and this helped out tremendously. I was also starting to gain weight due to being inactive while working from home. I got up to 250 lbs. for a 6'0" frame late last year. I had quit working out on a regular basis. Usually when active I was around 205. I was around 195 when playing sports.

My bad trip: I got some new stuff the first week in March. The smell was really strong. Really strong. It appeared to be a Kushy strain but didn't look like any I had seen. Like I said I am not in a medical state so its hard to tell. I tried it and after only two tokes from my volcano vape bag, I knew I was good. It stayed with me for the remainder of the night. I went out with a friend to a comedy club and had a great time. When I got back before I went to sleep, I decided to have a few more drags off a bag before I laid down to watch TV. My heart took off. Racing like crazy. Probably got up to around 120 bpm. I have had this happen before but this time it was way different. I freaked out for a second. I called a friend and they came and sat with me. I do Yoga so I just took some deep breaths. I also took an aspirin. After an hour, I was sleeping pretty well. My heart was up but I was calm.

A few days later, after working in the yard all afternoon because of a cookout I was having, I took two hits from my volcano off of some fresh in that batch. I had nothing to eat since lunch. My heart started racing like crazy. I got really sketchy all over. I laid down in the kitchen floor and a tingling sensation started to rise all over my body. A super bad trip. My mom got so worried that she called the paramedics. They came in and did a full EKG. My pulse was up at 100. My EKG was normal. Blood pressure was okay. Blood sugar was way low. 59. I told them nothing about the weed. They suggested that I eat something. I went back to the barbeque. Had a meal. Went to lay down and the same thing started happening again. Heart beating really fast. Tingling. This time with some chest pain. I went to the emergency room to be safe. Told them nothing about the weed. They ran all the tests. I came back the same as in the paramedic truck. The doctor at the emergency room said that it was a panic attack. Gave me a prescription for xanax and sent me on my way. I didn't take one at the hospital because I have heard bad things about pills. I decided to go home sleep it off and call my regular doc. I saw my regular doctor days later. When I weighed at the doctors office I was 214. So I had lost about 35 pounds in three months to my surprise. My regular doc agreed that it was panic attack and gave me a lesser dose prescription and recommended me to a cardiologist. My cardio doctor gave me all the same tests. My heart rate was still up around 100. My EKG was normal but this time my blood pressure was slightly higher. I was also having some heart palpitations from the stress of all of this. He did full bloodwork. All normal. He did an echo of my heart. All normal. I wore a heart monitor for a month. He said that I needed to eat a balanced diet, exercise regularly, etc. and quit stressing. Take a half a milligram of xanax when I needed to but that I was fine. I have only had to take the xanax a couple of times since March. Maybe 3 or 4.

What I am coming here for is advice. I have been exercising, eating right, doing yoga. My pulse is resting around 60-90 again. My blood pressure is 120/80 or below. I now weigh around 193.

Panic attack or anxiety? I pretty much quit cold turkey except for two small vape hits in April. Starting working out and lost 50 lbs. Since then I had some weird anxiety stuff that starts in my stomach and muscle twitching.

They say its just anxiety but they are of no help really. One doc said it could be IBS. Everything has been coming back fine except I was low on Vitamin D. I still have the muscle twitching and the stomach feeling has almost disappeared. I have been taking Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Omega 3 supplements.

My question is I want to blaze again. It was beneficial to my bad back, etc. I am just not sure what I should do to approach it after a 7 month T-Break. Plus, I have no idea if I will have the same kind of bad trip again.

Any advice?

Thanks for reading this everyone. Help if you know anything about this.

19. #19 Justin127, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
    I've had high panic attacks that I'm sure crossed the line to psychosis. Reality was literally shifting in front of me and I had no thoughts just terror, like reality was morphing and shit. That was fucking shit.
    This was after 2 dabs though, so IDK

20. anxiety is something all of us humans have time to time. it's the way we think that can lead to worrisome thoughts and ideas.
    don't we all use weed to enjoy ourselves/relax/medicate/chill out? why does anxiety take over when you get high? it never does for me. it's the way i think when i get high i guess, smoothly and relaxed. the only difference in the world is how you feel after smoking. weed definitely isn't for everyone, if you often get anxiety from smoking then i would just stop smoking. i don't get high to worry myself but to chill. if you get panic attacks consistantly then it honestly just sounds like a waste of time and money. i'm not trying to bring anyone down. that's just my 2 cents