Controlling fungus gnats!Gnatrol?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by masterlights, Jan 18, 2012.

1. What do you guys use to conroll these fuckers.
    They seem to love coco and hydro setups bc of the moist medium conditions and it seems coco is the best breeding ground for em bc its so light ad airy.

Right now im using a half ratio of perlite/diatmaceous earth and topping all my pots with this stuff but it seems after a week or so of watering the d.earth just goes down into the medium which im sure helps agains the larvae so reapplications are a must.

I also use yellow traps everywhere and i use a spray called Dont bug me from foxfarm which seems to help against the flying ones anywa..it attacks their nervous system.

I just started using gnatrol which goes into the water and is supposed to really attack the gnats from larvae.

Anyone use gnatrol before?
    Im getting pretty fed up with em.I want to be able to water my coco till i get runoff but it seems after i do the gnats just love it.BTW i also have a dehumidifier to keep humidity around 55%

2. azatrol/azamax @ 1oz./gal will take care of those little fuckers.

the Gnatrol will probably work after a few applications

3. good lookin.i gota check it out.

are you saying half of each or either one in that application will work.

4. well, azamax and azatrol are pretty much identical. i think that azatrol was the original and gen hydro just made the spin off azamax.

Azamax: GENERAL HYDROPONICS

Azatrol: Azatrol® Product Page

so you can use one or the other.

5. Permethrin. Try Hi Yield 38 plus... You can get it on ebay. So far it has annihilated the fungus gnat problems...

6. Ok i found the azamax on amazon for 60.

CO jones whats your application rate on the hi yield 38 plus and how often do you have to use it.Does it pretty much wipe em out after a couple applications?
    Can anyone else back the hi yield 38 plus?

7. I just ended up ordering 16 oz of the azamax and 38 plus and will try them both.im pretty desperate to wipe em out for good.

8. that combination should wipe em out for the most part. be sure to keep up on your treatments though, even if it seems like youve killed them all.

9. Yea for sure.honestly i think to stay on any of this stuff as a maintanence program is good.Because as soon as you stop the fight they just come in and multiply.I think i read that a aduld gnat can lay 200 eggs every couple weeks!

10. you really like spending money. gnatarol is just bt, and you can get mosquito dunks for like $6. I crush them up and sprinkle on medium before watering. the larvae eat the tainted water it turns to crystal int there stomach and they die it takes about 3 applications to completely rid them but 4 $6 bucks you get enough incase they return.

11. #11 masterlights, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012

gnatrol active ingrediant is bt and i just dont think it works as good as the permethrin.after i spray with the dont bug me spray(permethrin) you can actually see them dying and the stuff smells pretty strong,and i even dilute it with half water so i get more out of it.I mean i cant see the larvae dyin from the gnatrol but im not seeing any affects of it working bc now that im watering more the flying ones are just everywhere.

and i have 2 trays with 8 3gal pots in each so the dunks sound cheap but honestly to treat all my pots more than once how much would it end up costing.

between the 2 bottles of the azamax and the 38 plus i should be able to wipe them out pretty good and still have more left over for future maintenence.

Sage where do you get the dunks at??

Can you use the hi yield 38 indoor?

12. thanks man.im really a fan of the pyrethium effects on this fuckers.i dilute the hell out of the fox farm spray and it still really works awsome but i need something to battle the eggs they lay so i can finally stop the infestation from the ground up.

I ll keep you guys posted.

Im also assuming to use one or the other and not both in conjuctions right?
    I think i remember reading the azamax is 100% oranic which is awsome.

13. your right, one or the other.

might serve you even better to use say, azamax, then on the next app. use the 38, then the azamax. cant hurt

14. can you use all these in flower or is that a no no?

15. yes you can use it in flower. just not as a foliar spray

16. Cover up
    Fan
    Vicks nasal spray

17. I used the azamax for th first time this week and have been using it as a spray for the top/bottom of pots to get the flying ones.It knocked out a huge population so far but will def have to keep up the maintenence program.

The stuff in azamax supposably alters their eating and the larvae eventually die from starvation so i givin it some time.

18. thats funny cause its the same thing bt (mosquito dunks) does. turns to crystal in their stomach and they stop eating and die, breaking the life cycle.

19. Thanks sage! Just ordered some.