Continuous Drip Feed

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by thestash27, Feb 20, 2016.

1. What's up fellow growers? How are we? Good I hope!

I'm starting my first hydroponic grow! However I stuffed up and have ended up with a Continuous Drip Feed system rather than a DWC - which is what I wanted, but didn't read the EBay listing properly.

Anyways, I have everything set up and I'm ready to go, but I kind of don't know how to get started with it. I have rock wool cubes and seeds, but since the system only drips water around where the roots would be, I'm a bit confused with how to get my seedlings going with this sort of system.

I've seen a video on YouTube of someone transplanting from soil into a drip feed system, but I'm not to keen on doing that. Can anyone help me? It would be much appreciated. Cheers guys!

Attached Files:

2. #2 WeedBiz, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2016
    You need to start the seeds in the rockwool cubes and then move them over to your hydroponic system when they are an inch or two tall. Here's how I'd do it:
    1. Soak one rockwool cube for each seed in ph'd water @ around 5.6 for 12-24 hours.
    2. Put seeds in rockwool cubes. Just stick them in there, push them down 1/8 of an inch or so with a pencil and gently squish the top together.
    3. When seedlings emerge place under gentle light until they have a couple sets of leaves. Easy does it for the first little bit.
    4. Water when the rockwool gets almost completely dry. You can use a gentle 1/2 strength nutes solution once the little fella gets established.
    5. When you see roots coming out of the rockwool transplant into your hydro system.
    6. Post pictures of your progress! Good luck!

3. Awesome, that is much appreciated advice, thanks you! I have one more question and it may sound like a stupid question. Here goes.
    Once the rock wool is inside with the clay rocks, would I then just position the drip feeder over the roots and leave it running 24/7? My guess is yes, but I'd like to 've sure. Thanks!

4. I've never used a continuous drip system before but I'm pretty sure it runs all the time. Just stick the drip emitter down in the expanded clay somewhere near the middle and you'll be good to go.

5. Stick the dripper next to the rockwool, not in it.......this will make the root go out into the clay balls for the nutes. I run 24 hrs, but you can time to do lights on only, or anything in between. I hope this helps

6. Cheers for that, pretty much confirmed what I was thinking, thank you. I have the seeds waiting to pop in the rock wool. OG Kush. :)

7. I run mine on for 15 minutes, then off for 30 minutes continuously.

I don't use rockwool and much prefer to start seeds in paper towels until a couple of inches long, and then put them straight in to the clay balls

this is how I start my seeds http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/13...

8. Dump the rock wool cubes and get rapid rooters and place the drip emitters around the rapid rooter by using a ring that has microscopic holes. The drip system is real good for getting them going fast.